Rear Axle / Front End Question for Ice racing

Started by Krandall, October 24, 2008, 09:16:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peelz

Jeebus M.D. That looks like something out of "Mad Max" :lol:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Mad Dog

Quote from: Peels660 on December 04, 2008, 02:36:51 PM

Didn't turn until you broke traction, then it just chewed up the track and spit huge ice chunks everywhere.  :lol:

Krandall

freaking sweet!!!!

I need to figure out something to do w/ my old stock rears. they are basically slicks from the big burnout I did with them...... I'd hate to just throw them away since they still hold air. ???

Thoughts?

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Peelz

Quote from: Mad Dog on December 04, 2008, 02:41:13 PM
Quote from: Peels660 on December 04, 2008, 02:36:51 PM

Didn't turn until you broke traction, then it just chewed up the track and spit huge ice chunks everywhere.  :lol:

Noice! :lol:

Krandall: Yeah, that is what I did with my balding stockers. Works fine. But, I am not ever going to be competing, just goofing off, and riding down the river.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Mad Dog

Quote from: Krandall on December 04, 2008, 02:42:09 PM
freaking sweet!!!!

I need to figure out something to do w/ my old stock rears. they are basically slicks from the big burnout I did with them...... I'd hate to just throw them away since they still hold air. ???

Thoughts?

less tread means less likely to hold air from screws, so sled studs may be the way to go.  Not sure if the radial belts would be an issue though.

Krandall

Maybe I'll just take em' in and have the yfz tires put back on. those are the ones I was looking @ studdin for the winter.

I'm not yet set on racing this year. I'd like to at least rip around on the lake, and hit up one race that's near by (forest lake) next year.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

SULLY0556

Quote from: Krandall on December 04, 2008, 02:55:05 PM
Maybe I'll just take em' in and have the yfz tires put back on. those are the ones I was looking @ studdin for the winter.

I'm not yet set on racing this year. I'd like to at least rip around on the lake, and hit up one race that's near by (forest lake) next year.

And head over to the U.P. and visit Sully on their track......  :grin_nod:
06 700R with:
Big black tires, Lots of shiny metal stuff, some stinky oily stuff inside, AM/FM 8-track hi-fi system, Leopard skin seat cover, Fuzzy dice, curb feelers, a "soccer mom" license plate, and a "my other bike's a Bayou" bumper sticker.

SULLY0556

Quote from: Bert on December 04, 2008, 01:38:49 PM
Quote from: Krandall on December 04, 2008, 01:30:29 PM
How does snowmobile studs work on tires? Seen anyone do it?

Can't say I've seen that before but seems pretty wicked  :lol:
I don't know but I want my James Bond tires  :lol: Haven't seen it done in person either.  On packed snow I didn't feel my studded tires did much but spin. I was thinking 1/2 studs all the way around  ???  I need a great deal on snowmobile studs, they seem pricey

Sully the bikes on the road course make way to much shredded ice for my liking. The tight corners end up being almost single track & passing can be done with my inside tires on ice and the outside tires in the marbles.  For me that meant tire spin & the quad pulling to the outside.  :lol: It sucked.  Last year the ice was uneven & after they plowed  there were still spots with ice shavings.....I wish they had a hydro broom

We have a sweeper and I kinda like it when the bikes chew up the tight corners, I can lay ny inside tires in the groove and I can corner like I'm on rails.   It gets boring going in a circle all the time so the road course is a nice break and you can get some serious speed going on the straits.  It's being laid out Sat morning so maybe I'll be able to post some pics next week.
06 700R with:
Big black tires, Lots of shiny metal stuff, some stinky oily stuff inside, AM/FM 8-track hi-fi system, Leopard skin seat cover, Fuzzy dice, curb feelers, a "soccer mom" license plate, and a "my other bike's a Bayou" bumper sticker.

Krandall

Quote from: SULLY0556 on December 04, 2008, 09:23:27 AM
  That would be great!  My studs won't be in for a week so I have time to do some trimming.  :)

Obviously I didn't do this when I got home.  :lol:

Here was the QUAD Cold Weather Machine Tips:

Did you know that if you place multiple studs toward the outside of the tire, it helps clear snow better and helps to pprevent the tire from getting all packed up with sniw and ice? NOW YOU DO!

Ripped Out!
It's inevitable when using studs on a tier that one of them is sooner or later going to get ripped out. Don't panic. Simply patch it like you would w/ a  nail in the tire (Tire plug) and put a new stud a littel farther away from the hole.

Groove that tread:
Tip from Daryl Rath: He tapered each individual tread on the tire to get more bite by placing a stud @ the peak of every tread nub. This cool trick helps the tire get a bit more forward bit in the sloppy stuff.

Groove the center (Front)
Another trick that Daryl Rath uses to prep his ice racing tires is this cool center tread groove trick he cuts the center tread slightly lower than the outter tread giving the tire a more flat profile thus more contact w/ the ice!

hope this helps you all :clap:

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

SULLY0556

Looks good,  I'm not into the theory of shaving the center of the steer tire, I've had flat and rounded fronts and I didn't like the flat at all. :(
   Here's my rears ready for studding.  4 hours with a tire groover.   :'(
06 700R with:

SULLY0556

A few more pics.    The track is plowed and ready to go,  I went out last night for a few hours and cleaned it up a bit.  The road course is .9 miles long and has both tight and sweeping corners and a few long stretches to wind it out.  Pretty sweet!!   I'll try to get some pics this weekend of people running on it, my bike won't be ready for at least another week.  :(
06 700R with:

Bert

Sully that looks very nice  :thumbs:
I predict you'll be beyond happy  8)
Nice Work  ;)

SULLY0556

Thanks.   On my last set I only did one side so we'll see how these do.    The ice is freaking PERFECT!  I was out last night and it's smooth and clear which means it doesn't have air bubbles in it making it soft.   I can't wait to get out there and rip it up!!!!
06 700R with:

Krandall

Tires look good man. Now 4 more hours to go on the other one. :lol: :clap:

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

SULLY0556

Both are done, That un-cut one got cut when he was mounting it and it's trashed.  :mad:

Now about 6-8 hours will be needed to stud and nut the tires.  Just waiting for my studs to show up.  :(
06 700R with: