Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Rear Axle / Front End Question for Ice racing  (Read 16133 times)

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
Re: Rear Axle / Front End Question for Ice racing
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2008, 02:22:37 PM »
Nobody showed me how to do it. I had no idea you would go right into the carcass. I bought 1/4" hardware screws. They made it two laps. :lol:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Bert

• Street Cred: 7
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2008, 04:17:50 PM »
Nobody showed me how to do it. I had no idea you would go right into the carcass. I bought 1/4" hardware screws. They made it two laps. :lol:
Mine didn't go throw the tire either....

Offline SULLY0556

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 3
  • Just livin' the dream!!
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2008, 05:29:30 AM »
  I nut every stud on the rears with a plastic nut to hold them in, I've never lost a stud.   Here's some pics from last night, the tires are marked for studding.  Any suggestions?  The fronts will likely need more studs.
06 700R with:
Big black tires, Lots of shiny metal stuff, some stinky oily stuff inside, AM/FM 8-track hi-fi system, Leopard skin seat cover, Fuzzy dice, curb feelers, a "soccer mom" license plate, and a "my other bike's a Bayou" bumper sticker.

Offline SULLY0556

• VIP
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2008, 05:31:34 AM »
   Here's another little home-made gadget that is AWESOME for cornering.  :thumbs:
06 700R with:
Big black tires, Lots of shiny metal stuff, some stinky oily stuff inside, AM/FM 8-track hi-fi system, Leopard skin seat cover, Fuzzy dice, curb feelers, a "soccer mom" license plate, and a "my other bike's a Bayou" bumper sticker.

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2008, 08:21:52 AM »
geez, great idea again w/ the pegs!

the more and more I see these the more and more I wanna get out therE! 8)

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline SULLY0556

• VIP
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2008, 08:25:49 AM »
  We have some really great guys in the group,  One of our riders took the nationals last year in lower Wisconsin.  Tommy Johns.  Everyone is great about helping each other and it's just a good time riding and racing together without any pressure.  We all share ideas and it ends up helping everyone.   :thumbs:
06 700R with:

Offline Bert

• Email
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2008, 11:15:28 AM »
  I nut every stud on the rears with a plastic nut to hold them in, I've never lost a stud.   Here's some pics from last night, the tires are marked for studding.  Any suggestions?  The fronts will likely need more studs.
Looks good Sully.  Will you be cutting your rear tires?

It was crazy last season looking at tires that had each knob cut on 4 sides to make a pyramid for the studs.  Those guys could pass on the outside when I tried passing & had lots of wheelspin  :lol:

Offline SULLY0556

• VIP
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2008, 11:18:13 AM »
  We keep the track pretty clear so that's not a big problem.  We have a ATV mounted power-brush that cleans the ice like glass.  BUT that may still be a good idea...... ???
06 700R with:

Offline SULLY0556

• VIP
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2008, 11:24:23 AM »
  I'm also running new studs this year that are 1/4" tall instead of 3/32" so that should help also.  Of course I'm no longer legal to run in most competitions but I'm not about that anyway.
06 700R with:

Offline Bert

• Email
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2008, 12:06:19 PM »
  We keep the track pretty clear so that's not a big problem.  We have a ATV mounted power-brush that cleans the ice like glass.  BUT that may still be a good idea...... ???
The Club we rode with is all about motorcycles & they create lots of ice shavings & ruts  :lol:  The ice shavings get fairly deep  ::)

Offline SULLY0556

• VIP
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2008, 12:08:28 PM »
  Our bikes stay mostly on the road course so the oval stays pretty clean.  I like the roar coarse a lot and there's plenty of straights to pass on if you're able.
06 700R with:

Offline Mad Dog

• Grand Masta Sexy
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 24
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2008, 01:21:45 PM »
  I'm also running new studs this year that are 1/4" tall instead of 3/32" so that should help also.  Of course I'm no longer legal to run in most competitions but I'm not about that anyway.

1/4" is the rule in AMA/ATVA, Canadian racing typically requires shorter heads.  I use 1/2" or sometimes 5/8" shafts to keep the 1/4" heads in place but I don't use washers or anything other than the screw's bite to keep it in.

I like to keep my studs in the center of the knob as the center is the stiffer part, the edge of the knob is easier for a screw to move around in or get ripped out of.  I do however angle the screws for better bite in the corner and manually align the screw heads.

Offline SULLY0556

• VIP
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2008, 01:25:39 PM »
  Exactly!  a 5 degree tilt on the screw is amazing for not plugging up with ice.  The new KK's are 1/4" tall so I'm going to try them out this year.  They sent a few samples and they look SWEEEEEEET!  I run 1-1/4" and nut them on the inside to keep them in place.  It's a bitch but it's well worth it in the long run.  I just sold my old tires for $150.00 and they weren't missing a single screw after 2 years of hard running.  I thought the heightn rule was 3/32" on the studs, Maybe I'll be ok then.  :)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 01:27:46 PM by SULLY0556 »
06 700R with:

Offline SULLY0556

• VIP
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2008, 01:26:37 PM »
  Tuning the heads helps a little depending on what type of track you're running.  I'm anal and keep them tuned.   :rolleyes:
06 700R with:

Offline Mad Dog

• Grand Masta Sexy
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 24
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2008, 01:44:35 PM »
Sorry I misspoke, the AMA limit is 3/16" head,