Rear Axle / Front End Question for Ice racing

Started by Krandall, October 24, 2008, 09:16:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krandall

You think though if you put the stud at what woudl be the front of the lug.. where it hits the ground first, you'd want it sitting there as when the lug flexes that's the part that's going to be staying near the ground more vs. the rear of the lug

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

SULLY0556

Good point,  I'm looking at staggering between the leading edge and closer to the center.  I'm going to really watch the stagger in all directions this time when I set up the rears, last time they were too much alligned and when I'd come off the line my tracks showed 8 destinct grooves which isn't as good.
06 700R with:
Big black tires, Lots of shiny metal stuff, some stinky oily stuff inside, AM/FM 8-track hi-fi system, Leopard skin seat cover, Fuzzy dice, curb feelers, a "soccer mom" license plate, and a "my other bike's a Bayou" bumper sticker.

SULLY0556

Quote from: Bert on December 03, 2008, 11:15:28 AM
Quote from: SULLY0556 on December 03, 2008, 05:29:30 AM
  I nut every stud on the rears with a plastic nut to hold them in, I've never lost a stud.   Here's some pics from last night, the tires are marked for studding.  Any suggestions?  The fronts will likely need more studs.
Looks good Sully.  Will you be cutting your rear tires?

It was crazy last season looking at tires that had each knob cut on 4 sides to make a pyramid for the studs.  Those guys could pass on the outside when I tried passing & had lots of wheelspin  :lol:

Bert you bastard!   Now you've got me thinking about cutting my rears into piramids!  :mad:   Any other thoughts on that?????
06 700R with:
Big black tires, Lots of shiny metal stuff, some stinky oily stuff inside, AM/FM 8-track hi-fi system, Leopard skin seat cover, Fuzzy dice, curb feelers, a "soccer mom" license plate, and a "my other bike's a Bayou" bumper sticker.

Krandall

When I get home tonight i'll write up what it says in QUAD about the pyramids. It said something about getting the most bite possible.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

SULLY0556

That would be great!  My studs won't be in for a week so I have time to do some trimming.  :)
06 700R with:

Bert

Thanks for passing that info along Krandall  :thumbs:
I still haven't bought a hot knife for grooving.  They are like $80 on Ebay.
Not sure I want to remove my studs, pyramid the knobs & restud & nut. Pretty sure the tires have another year on them  ???  :lol:
Decisions....

SULLY0556

If you pull the studs, they'll never hold air.  Been there.    one of my customers has a commercial tire groover that works slick as shit so I'll be doing that this weekend.  :thumbs:   It's all your fault Bert,  I wasn't going to get that elaborate this time but now............

KK says the studs should ship next Wed so we're cutting it way close!  We're plowing the track this Sat morning.  :grin_nod:
06 700R with:

Bert

I used 1/2 studs on all 4 tires & never went through the tire carcass.  It really seems like a hassle when I could just start over with new Cheng Shins,longer studs & nuts. I doubt that'll happen this year. If I build a set of tires this year they will have snowmobile studs for recreatinal riding   :lol:

On the rears I was thinking about the outside row, only cut 2 sides so the knob can sweep snow away from the tire in corners. Do you understand what I mean Sully?

SULLY0556

Yea,  it makes sense accept your rolling forward pretty quick so there's not much side slide going on...
06 700R with:

SULLY0556

I'm not going to go too crazy on the cutting, maybe just taper tham a little on all sides.  Got to do something to keep busy till the studs show up.
   I also doubt if I'll nut the front tires this time, they don't have near the torque on them that the rears do and that's a but-load of work nutting all them studs.
06 700R with:

Krandall

How does snowmobile studs work on tires? Seen anyone do it?

Can't say I've seen that before but seems pretty wicked  :lol:

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Bert

Quote from: Krandall on December 04, 2008, 01:30:29 PM

I don't know but I want my James Bond tires  :lol: Haven't seen it done in person either.  On packed snow I didn't feel my studded tires did much but spin. I was thinking 1/2 studs all the way around  ???  I need a great deal on snowmobile studs, they seem pricey

Sully the bikes on the road course make way to much shredded ice for my liking. The tight corners end up being almost single track & passing can be done with my inside tires on ice and the outside tires in the marbles.  For me that meant tire spin & the quad pulling to the outside.  :lol: It sucked.  Last year the ice was uneven & after they plowed  there were still spots with ice shavings.....I wish they had a hydro broom

Mad Dog

Quote from: Krandall on December 04, 2008, 01:30:29 PM

Pretty common, straight line only.

Krandall

Is there such a thing as a "rogue" class that allows it that you're aware of?

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Mad Dog

Quote from: Krandall on December 04, 2008, 02:32:32 PM
Is there such a thing as a "rogue" class that allows it that you're aware of?

Not in District 14 or the AMA/ATVA rules.  Nothing over 3/16" sticking out for oval track racing.

Find your local district website, the class rules should be posted.  If it's not AMA/ATVA sanctioned, then check with the Promoter putting on the race(s).