Rear Axle / Front End Question for Ice racing

Started by Krandall, October 24, 2008, 09:16:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krandall

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

SULLY0556

We got another 2-3" of snow yesterday so it's back out to plow the tracks.  :mad:   It'll be nice when we get more ice and can bring the trucks out, makes the job a lot quicker!
06 700R with:
Big black tires, Lots of shiny metal stuff, some stinky oily stuff inside, AM/FM 8-track hi-fi system, Leopard skin seat cover, Fuzzy dice, curb feelers, a "soccer mom" license plate, and a "my other bike's a Bayou" bumper sticker.

Krandall

MD.. Question...

So.. Tires (rear specifically)

I have my old set of YFZ's about 50-60% tread left. Do you think it'd be fine using those and studding them? Or would it be a better overall investment of ChenChings?

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

SULLY0556

I'd go with new tires.  If you're careful, they'll last a long time and why spend that much time and $ studding something that's not 100%?   
   I'll be nutting my rears tonight and should be ready to run this weekend.  :clap:
06 700R with:
Big black tires, Lots of shiny metal stuff, some stinky oily stuff inside, AM/FM 8-track hi-fi system, Leopard skin seat cover, Fuzzy dice, curb feelers, a "soccer mom" license plate, and a "my other bike's a Bayou" bumper sticker.

SULLY0556

If you're going on the cheap and running Golds or something I guess the old tires qould be ok.  I just spent $180 on studs alone plus nuts so I went with new tires front and back to do it.  The new KK's are kick-ass!
06 700R with:

Krandall

See, I found this guy.

I was thinking about scoring the rears.... I just hate to spend money on new tires if it ends up being something so-so. ya know...
Is it possible to move studs around? or once their in. Their in?

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/rvs/950730651.html

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

SULLY0556

It's very dicey to un-stud a tire, I overstuded some fronts and removed about 10%. They leaked bad so I ditched them.
06 700R with:

Krandall

You think a standard tire plug would be fine? ???

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Mad Dog

Use the YFZs but beware that radial 2 ply tires will have a weaker sidewall and might be more prone to throwing screws than bias ply.  They won't be as good but they will work great to learn on and be a lot cheaper than buying new tires, wheels and screws.

Golds hold better than KK, they have a coarser thread.  KK are sharper, but the golds hold just as well in torn up tracks or soft ice.  It's only on clean hard ice that the KK are worth the thrown screws IMO.  But then again I'm not nutting any of mine and somewhere in the AMA rulebook I remember it saying cutting tires is a no-no, so I may not be the best resource on such fronts.

You can't unstud a tire, the tire will leak and the new screws will never hold in old holes...again with respect to not using nuts.

SULLY0556

I don't run AMA so cutting is ok but you're right about not being allowed.  My KK's are also not allowed since they're over 3/16" tall. I've never thrown a KK but I also nut my studs.  My new KK's are #12 shank instead of #8 so the'll hold quite well even without nutting and have a nuce HUGE washer built into the head.
  Golds don't have the edge that KK's have BUT they can also be re-sharpened quite easily.
I'll post some pics tomorrow of the tires with the studs in them.  :thumbs:
06 700R with:

SULLY0556

Quote from: Krandall on December 17, 2008, 10:17:02 AM
You think a standard tire plug would be fine? ???

You can plug them and put a stud somewhere else but that's a lot of plugs.  C/S tires are only $40-50 new.
06 700R with:

Krandall

Fair enough. I think I'm going to nut the studs only for the reason being (2 ply) better safe than sorry. I think I figured out an alternative to the "standard" nuts. I was looking at some PVC tubing super small stuff that I think would work. ??? only reason, I couldn't find nuts on Dennis Kirks site.

I'll have to look into the AMA rules. I know rath cuts his tires they did a write up in last months QUAD about it...  but maybe he's not racing AMA

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

SULLY0556

I got my nuts from Lawson Products,  I work parts for a living so I've got some pretty good connections for odd stuff. :)
  Bring that bike ofer here this winter and play on our tracks!!
06 700R with:

SULLY0556

I got kind of stupid yesterday and ordered 2" spacers for all 4 hubs.......  I know it's not like running 2+ arms but I just wanted to try it out.  My front end widening kit (which I loved) wouldn't fit with the CCP so I can't use it anymore.  :(
06 700R with:

Mad Dog

Daryl's ice racing is usually the big TT championship, don't remember him running much ama