Rear Axle / Front End Question for Ice racing

Started by Krandall, October 24, 2008, 09:16:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peelz

Quote from: SULLY0556 on January 29, 2009, 10:59:42 AM
Quote from: PeelsSE2 on January 29, 2009, 10:57:50 AM
studs sticking out at a slight angle on edge of tread? When the tire starts to roll over, the stud wil dig in. IDK. maybe less studs? Sometimes a smaller footprint = more bite. Make rear studs not linear like I see people doing alot. ALign them a little staggered. you guys have a alot more experience than I do though. good luck

The C/S tires are automatically staggered,  They grab when I hang my ass off the bike but I can't drive it that way.  I need to transfer more weight (or gain 100lbs)  :lol:

try doritos and beer, that will get you the weight :lol:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

SULLY0556

Quote from: Krandall on January 29, 2009, 10:58:37 AM
Hmmmm, weight....

I forgot you shaved the knobs on them. Is it lack of tracktion or do you think your skating a little bit w/ the ammount of larger headed screws? Maybe MD will be on, he's an ice racing expert.

As for weight.. this is all I could come up with.
What about stuffing the tires w/ that hot water tube insulation stuff?

I don't think it's skating, I'm ripping up big chunks of ice but spinning too much sideways.  I was also told I need to stay on the gas more in the corners due to the angle of the studs so I'll try that too.   No one can catch me on the straights but I'm losing it in the corners,  it also may be that I'm not nuts enough. (hell I'm 44!)
???
06 700R with:
Big black tires, Lots of shiny metal stuff, some stinky oily stuff inside, AM/FM 8-track hi-fi system, Leopard skin seat cover, Fuzzy dice, curb feelers, a "soccer mom" license plate, and a "my other bike's a Bayou" bumper sticker.

SULLY0556

Quote from: PeelsSE2 on January 29, 2009, 11:01:39 AM
Quote from: SULLY0556 on January 29, 2009, 10:59:42 AM
Quote from: PeelsSE2 on January 29, 2009, 10:57:50 AM
studs sticking out at a slight angle on edge of tread? When the tire starts to roll over, the stud wil dig in. IDK. maybe less studs? Sometimes a smaller footprint = more bite. Make rear studs not linear like I see people doing alot. ALign them a little staggered. you guys have a alot more experience than I do though. good luck

The C/S tires are automatically staggered,  They grab when I hang my ass off the bike but I can't drive it that way.  I need to transfer more weight (or gain 100lbs)  :lol:

try doritos and beer, that will get you the weight :lol:

Thanks!  I can't drink beer, Tequila only.  :(
06 700R with:
Big black tires, Lots of shiny metal stuff, some stinky oily stuff inside, AM/FM 8-track hi-fi system, Leopard skin seat cover, Fuzzy dice, curb feelers, a "soccer mom" license plate, and a "my other bike's a Bayou" bumper sticker.

SULLY0556

06 700R with:

SULLY0556

Well I built a temporary extended dogbone last night for my rear shock and dropped the ass another 4".  I put my stock front shocks on the front and strapped them down about 70%.  I scaled each wheel and am at about 115# on each front wheel and about 100 on each rear,  when I get on the bike the fronts are about 135 and the rears are around 170.   I'm hoping that is enough weight in the rear to grab better, I also can slide back a bit to transfer more weight if needed.  I'll keep you posted and maybe get some pics, she looks kinda funky with the back squatted so much.  :lol:
06 700R with:

SULLY0556

One other thing I ran into,   I had a bad wheel hop at 50+mph and brought my front tires in for balancing.  One needed 18oz of weight in one area to balance and the other needed 12oz.  She's smooth as silk now.  :thumbs:
  I would suggest balancing your front tires even if you don't notice a bad hop,  I've never had it ride so smooth on the ice as it does now and all it took was some sticker-weights on the inside of the rim.  I put some adhesive around them to keep them in place better and it's amazing how it smoothed out the ride!!!
06 700R with:

SULLY0556

Well,  again we start swapping the rappy over for ice racing.   :clap:

New additions this year (because I'm a whimp) are heated grips and gauntlets to keep the hands warm.  I also baught a spare seat and cut the foam out where I sit to keep me from sliding off the back of the bike (should help keep the arms from getting so sore).  Front end lowering kit and a new (-2) swing arm to give me a little more weight on the back end in the corners.
   I de-mounted my front tires and nutted every stud (they were backing out).   Also learned last year to take the CCP off for the winter,  they don't like the extreme cold.

Now all we need is ice!!

Yes I'm still alive Brian!    :)

Sully
06 700R with:

Krandall

Brian doens't travel round these parts no more. :(

Good to hear from ya sully!

Gettin cold here. No ice on the lakes yet. Thought we were going to get an early freeze w/ the show we had a couple weeks ago

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

SULLY0556

We had snow but now it's in the 40's.  I'm pumped to ride though!   You coming over this winter for a weekend?  First weekend of Feb is our big shindig again...  :)
06 700R with:

Krandall

shoot me your addy. I'd love to make it up there!

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Peelz

Hello Sully! Good to see you....but why start with this topic? Not ready for the ice yet!  :mad:

:lol:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

SULLY0556

It's coming so you might as well look forward to it!   :lol:   Besides,  I don't have to clean up dog crap in the winter!   :thumbs:
06 700R with:

Peelz

Quote from: SULLY0556 on October 20, 2009, 12:18:45 PM
  It's coming so you might as well look forward to it!   :lol:   Besides,  I don't have to clean up dog crap in the winter!   :thumbs:

:lol: Oh yeah...and the lawn quits growing!  :lol:

SULLY0556

Well, she's a mess right now but it's fun working when the weather is crappy.  Snowed last night again...
06 700R with:

SULLY0556

06 700R with: