Rear Axle / Front End Question for Ice racing

Started by Krandall, October 24, 2008, 09:16:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SULLY0556

Are they pretty tight?  Like summer riding gloves?  I have a hard time fitting a bigger glove between the clutch and the hand guards when I'm reaching for it quick...
06 700R with:
Big black tires, Lots of shiny metal stuff, some stinky oily stuff inside, AM/FM 8-track hi-fi system, Leopard skin seat cover, Fuzzy dice, curb feelers, a "soccer mom" license plate, and a "my other bike's a Bayou" bumper sticker.

Krandall

They aren't thin as summer riding gloves. but they are pretty thin. They aren't super padded like your typical winter gloves. Snowboard gloves in particular are thinner because you have to be able to strap your boots in on the hill so they make them so they are thinner, flexible, and still warm. :thumbs:

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

SULLY0556

Cool!  I'll check them out tonight at the sport shop.  I need to drop my front tires off to get ballanced, too much wheel hop at high speed.  :wootwoot:
06 700R with:
Big black tires, Lots of shiny metal stuff, some stinky oily stuff inside, AM/FM 8-track hi-fi system, Leopard skin seat cover, Fuzzy dice, curb feelers, a "soccer mom" license plate, and a "my other bike's a Bayou" bumper sticker.

Peelz

Sully, have you tried those handwarmers that go over the bars? They allow you to ride with normal atv gloves. Ugly, but effective. :thumbs: I was skeptical, but they work great. Just slide your hands in like you would a sheep's a$$.  :rofl:

Plenty of room to operate clutch, brake, etc.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Bert

Hey Sully I bought my winter gloves from DennisKirk.com  I shopped in the snowmobile section & went with a Nordic glove.  Tight fingers & very warm. They were around $40. Yes I would buy them again.

SULLY0556

So I'm 4 weeks into ice-riding this year and I'm still having troubles hooking up in the rear.  The fronts are amazing.   I've tried tire pressures, sway bar adjustments, stiffening the rear shock, flipping the rear shock bracket to lower the back.  Still not enough weight in the rear for a good grab on corners.  :mad:

Last night I removed my "winter" shocks and put my stock shocks back on which are 4" taller.  I maxed out the springs, then strapped them down about 2-3".  I can't use my piggyback shocks because the sway arm would hit the reservoirs.
    I also want to lower my back end even more so I removed the dog-bone and made a (temporary) replacement which will drop me another 2-3".  I'm going to cut my dog-bone in half, drill & tap threads in it and install threaded rod so I can lengthen it as needed.
   Tonight I'll put scales under all 4 wheels and see where I'm at for weight on all 4 corners so I can adjust my heights accordingly.
   Any more suggestions (short of a shorter swing arm)??????

Sully

P.S.
    Badwater ice rally is in 9 days!!!
06 700R with:

SULLY0556

06 700R with:

SULLY0556

You can find pics of our track and riding on Myspace "Badwater Ice Racing".   Good stuff!   :)
06 700R with:

Krandall

those are some awesome trophies.

I was reading in...... dirtwheels I believe. they said running extra studs on the outside edge of the tires helped in cornering as well as help clearing snow/ice from the treads. Have you thought about doing that? ???

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

SULLY0556

I don't have the room,  I shaved my knobbies and the Kanadians have a big head on them.   I noticed one of the guys running a KFX was cornering pretty well and they have a short wheel base and are a wheelie machine.  That means the trick is likely more weight to the back of the bike.  I'll weigh each wheel tonight to see where I'm at and adjust from there.  I have 2-3 days of riding before the rally to get better set up.  I'm not expecting a trophy but I'd like to at least run well.

I also narrowed my bike 4" overall,  that did help a bit.  :)

06 700R with:

SULLY0556

06 700R with:

Peelz

studs sticking out at a slight angle on edge of tread? When the tire starts to roll over, the stud wil dig in. IDK. maybe less studs? Sometimes a smaller footprint = more bite. Make rear studs not linear like I see people doing alot. ALign them a little staggered. you guys have a alot more experience than I do though. good luck
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

SULLY0556

06 700R with:

Krandall

Hmmmm, weight....

I forgot you shaved the knobs on them. Is it lack of tracktion or do you think your skating a little bit w/ the ammount of larger headed screws? Maybe MD will be on, he's an ice racing expert.

As for weight.. this is all I could come up with.
What about stuffing the tires w/ that hot water tube insulation stuff?

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

SULLY0556

Quote from: PeelsSE2 on January 29, 2009, 10:57:50 AM
studs sticking out at a slight angle on edge of tread? When the tire starts to roll over, the stud wil dig in. IDK. maybe less studs? Sometimes a smaller footprint = more bite. Make rear studs not linear like I see people doing alot. ALign them a little staggered. you guys have a alot more experience than I do though. good luck

The C/S tires are automatically staggered,  They grab when I hang my ass off the bike but I can't drive it that way.  I need to transfer more weight (or gain 100lbs)  :lol:
06 700R with: