Hour Meters

Started by Bert, May 15, 2008, 01:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bert

Is anyone using a hour meter to track oil changes?
I can find $40 hour meters from Yamaha but I'm seeking a cheaper alternative.
What else is out there?
Where did you get it?
How much was it?
Thanks guys

Limited660

Im using the TrailTech Vapor, it records ride time, mph, rpm, miles driven and engine temp to name a few.  It is $109 or something though.

Colorado700R

The vapor is very nice  :thumbs:  but I believe the cost will be close to $200 for the vapor and the mount correct?

Aaron

wobble

I was using the vapor until recently. IMO, it's a completely over-rated product. It lost it's cool factor shortly after I got it.

I am now using the $40 hour meter you referred to. I looked for a cheaper alternative, but couldn't find one either.

Limited660

What is over rated on the Vapor??

Krandall

Quote from: wobble on May 15, 2008, 01:58:15 PM
I was using the vapor until recently. IMO, it's a completely over-rated product. It lost it's cool factor shortly after I got it.

I am now using the $40 hour meter you referred to. I looked for a cheaper alternative, but couldn't find one either.
Quote from: Limited660 on May 15, 2008, 02:07:19 PM
What is over rated on the Vapor??

+1

the vapor was one of my next mods. What are you seeing wrong? ???

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

wobble

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it, it's just that after having it awhile, it's not that cool anymore. Just a clock and hour meter for me. I used to look at the rpm and tach, but stopped doing that along time ago. Most of my riding buddies wanted one as well until I had mine for awhile. LOL They are also tired of returning their trailtech mounts cause the chrome plating keeps flaking off. That's getting real old.

socalrappy700

Quote from: wobble on May 15, 2008, 02:22:40 PM
I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it, it's just that after having it awhile, it's not that cool anymore. Just a clock and hour meter for me. I used to look at the rpm and tach, but stopped doing that along time ago. Most of my riding buddies wanted one as well until I had mine for awhile. LOL They are also tired of returning their trailtech mounts cause the chrome plating keeps flaking off. That's getting real old.

Thats why I backed out.  My friend said the exact same thing. 
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Krandall

Quote from: wobble on May 15, 2008, 02:22:40 PM

gotcha. See the only reason I'd have wanted one was because of the speedo and hour meter..

I don't need a tach to tell me when to shift... ;)

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Bert

With the Vapor mount flaking I think PC would be an option.  I wanted one back in '05 but held off.  Now I still want an hour meter.  My buddy told me to look at parts for small engines, Briggs & Stratton etc. Hmm......

Limited660

I can PC it for you ;)

SpeedQuest

The best bet is to get the hour meter for $40...

If you CAN find one cheaper, it will break due to vibration and inferior design.  The ones that Briggs & Stratton, and several other manufacturers sell for $40 are actually all made by the same company, they just put other people's names & logos on them.

If you're really trying to save money on a $40 item, just buy it through www.Rockymountainatv.com , buy a few other items to get you over $100 (free shipping) and then use the 77809 code for $10 off.

Krandall

the ones from Briggs.. Are they the ones that hook right into the Spark Plug wire and just clock based off of if there's a pulse or not?

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

SpeedQuest

Any quality hour-meter is going to be pulse activated and only records REAL run time.  Additionally, most of them are NON-ERASABLE so it shows a true record of the engine they are monitoring.

Bert

Hour Meter/Tach from Yamaha
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/accessories/acscitemdetail/5/442/1848/13490/all/1/1931/0/detail.aspx

Deluxe Hour Meter/Tachometer
Yamaha's Engine Meters help you keep track of your engine's operating hours. The Deluxe Engine Meters include pre-programmed service intervals at 10 hours (initial) and every 50 hours thereafter. A flash alert displays for a 2-hour period upon reaching the specified interval. Includes hour meter and tachometer functions. Operating temperature: -40°F-160°F; -40°C-71°C. Battery life is 7-10 years (non-serviceable).

I'm surprised this unit is non servicable  ???

Yamaha's Super Moto inspired 2008 WR450F
Features Cool digital enduro computer offers speedometer, clock, tripmeter, etc., in basic mode—or pace management functions such as timer, distance-compensating tripmeter, average speed, etc., when switched to race mode.

Yamaha has this for a dirt bike but doesn't have it for a quad
I want one  :(