Crank

Started by Sandeater, July 28, 2008, 12:55:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SUB454

Quote from: powder coater on July 29, 2008, 09:43:35 PM

Welcome aboard Grant, glad to see you here  :thumbs:

You obviously don't know Grant very well.
[/quote]

Hey, that's my KENZ brotha....watch out  :slap:
DIRECTDRIVE

digitalhearing

[quote aAuthor=powder coater link=topic=1282.msg39385#msg39385 date=1217389415]

Welcome aboard Grant, glad to see you here  :thumbs:
[/quote]

You obviously don't know Grant very well.
[/quote]

Ok, Paul, i mean Mr. Coater, Could you graciously give me an update on my A Arms?  My bike awaits your detailed craftsmanship and deep glossy material you coat A arms with.  If could call me with a tracking # when they are in UPS's hands ?  (then I can edit this post and get back to calling you names  :lol: )

Grant

Colorado, thanks for the welcome, and eveyrone else too.  Lately at the old "house" It has felt like I went on vacation and when I came back, I couldn't find my home,  ??? kind of like a homeless person must feel.....I wondered around for the last couple of months LOST.  If it wern't for Sub, I'd still be homeless, Thanks Brother for showing me the way :thumbs:
This Forum Rocks !

Sand84

2009 Raptor 700- D7 :turbo: :satan:

Custom Carbon Creations

One stop shop for Carbon Covers for Raptor 700!!!

Colorado700R

If he doesn't get you your A-arms soon, can I change his ID to powder cooter ?   :lol:

digitalhearing

Quote from: Colorado700R on July 29, 2008, 10:19:33 PM

If he doesn't get you your A-arms soon, can I change his ID to powder cooter ?   :lol:
Be nice to him, he probably has a grinder in one hand and my A arm in the other....He really is the best as what he does.........now put down the power tool.......please..... ::)

Grant
This Forum Rocks !

Colorado700R

Quote from: digitalhearing on July 29, 2008, 10:30:13 PM

Be nice to him, he probably has a grinder in one hand and my A arm in the other....He really is the best as what he does.........now put down the power tool.......please..... ::)

Grant

:rofl:

yeah, I'm gonna need his help for my build this winter

digitalhearing

Quote from: Colorado700R on July 29, 2008, 10:40:55 PM
Quote from: digitalhearing on July 29, 2008, 10:30:13 PM

Grant

:rofl:

yeah, I'm gonna need his help for my build this winter
(Fire away at him now,,,,he has a short memory, he'll forget all about it by winter. ) Paul, can I buy you breakfast later this week?  How's that glossy orange turning out? 

It just donnned on me, are we really screwing with somone's thread?  I'm sorry, let's get back to being nice to Mr. Coater.

Grant
This Forum Rocks !

SUB454

I guess we did kinda jack this thread...sorry. What was the topic of this thread again?  ???
DIRECTDRIVE

kyledvor61

Quote from: SUB454 on July 29, 2008, 11:03:59 PM
I guess we did kinda jack this thread...sorry. What was the topic of this thread again?  ???

it doesnt really matter, this is raptorsource after all.

whore on 8)

digitalhearing

Seriously, I have an 8mm stroke 797 and I have ridden the crap out of my bike, almost every weekend, for over a year now.  The rod angle must be fine, cause I have no vibration at all, and it still runs as strong as ever.  Lots of fresh oil changes help too  :)

Grant
This Forum Rocks !

Sandeater

LOL  :rofl: :rofl: We missed you guys LOL

Another question...I know you don't have to remap when changing compression, but do you have to when changing stroke?

So are you saying I should just go all out and do the biggest I can go without trenching?  +12?  Would that be ok with stock bore?  Or should I stay with +10 or +8 and not have to extend the deck 1/2".  Compression will be around 13:1
My Sand Only Queen
Currently being rebuilt
2006 RE 778
Slingshot Lockup
+6 SLC Ladder Swingarm
Paint by JK Customs

SUB454

I personally have no experience with a big stroke and stock bore. I know Grant's and my 797 run awesome. If your dead-set on staying stock bore...I'd call atleast 4 builders and get there take on what you'd like to do. You may get some good direction for your build. 1 thing I would do is...if your gonna go bigger then +8 stroke, I'd look into a long-rod build. You'll have a much better rod angle.
DIRECTDRIVE

powder coater

Great idea Sub. Call a few of the experts and pick there brain. One thing I have noticed is after each build I wish I went just a little more. On the sand Im not sure you can have to much. The good thing is the cranks costs the same +4 or +15. If you ride anywear around Southern Oregon your welcome to through your leg over mine and give grant a run for his money. Grants the one with the large target on his back if you have never met him.
Jason for Presedent !

socalrappy700

The more I read the more I think a 797 is in order for my winter build.  But since I'm half crazy i'm going to keep it on a +2 swing arm.  But I would like to make it up to the great northwest so i can try Mr. Coaters on for size.
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

RaptorRandy

Quote from: digitalhearing on July 29, 2008, 11:14:57 PM
Seriously, I have an 8mm stroke 797 and I have ridden the crap out of my bike, almost every weekend, for over a year now.  The rod angle must be fine, cause I have no vibration at all, and it still runs as strong as ever.  Lots of fresh oil changes help too  :)

Grant

We did get of track here a little didn't we  :lol:  My apologies, I had to mess with my buddy Paul a little  ;)

Grant....I'm glad you signed up my friend, this is like the old days again  8)

I don't ride mine near as much now as I did the first year I had it, but it has a lot of time on it now and I have had the same experience as Grant. I was going to jump up to a 108mm cylinder but after see a very simular combination of +6mm stroke with a 108 jug (825cc) and Billet TB only make a couple more HP than my 105mm +6 stroke, I just can't justify the expense in my mind. I think the 797 is a pretty tough combo to beat and if I were just coming into this now that is more than likely what I would go with for a fast duner.

I'm just not seeing a big difference in the performance of these bigger builds compared to a well tuned 797 with the current camshaft technology. Then you have these stock bores making within a few HP of the big builds. Whoda thunk it  ???   Hopefully that will change soon and we can see the big gains one would expect to see with these 850cc and up Big bore and stroke 700R based builds. Now I am not saying their not fast, some flat get with it, Powder Coaters is one of them, it's just that on the hill they all seem to be pretty damn close IMHO which makes it real tough to make a choice on which direction to go at this time. Ok, enough of my rambling for now.......

Hey Paul.......I think I got something for you at Winchester in Sept  :grin_nod:

Randy