Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
Re: Crank
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2008, 10:38:31 AM »
That would be about 951.704 cc's and a 8 mil longer rod for a r/s ratio of 1.37:1 which is a bit nasty for my taste :lol:

Kenny, What's the stock r/s ratio?

damn.... 951 cc's..... I'm sayin give it a year and publicly there will be 1000cc rappy movin in the sand.  :batman:
The stock R/S ratio is 1.6:1.....If we used a 110 and a +20 it would be a 987. I could use a longer rod and have a larger custom piston made, no sweat. The head flow will be an issue when we get to that size. The highest flowing head I have seen is at 378 cfm (thank you very much), but I don't know that it would sufficiently feed it. :confused:

Two words........Forced Induction  ;)

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2008, 10:45:13 AM »
whats a safe r/s ratio w/ out going overboard?

I'm a semi noob at this stuff, but learning..

From what I can think... piston size wouldn't affect r/s ratio correct. since either way it would be in the same position no matter the piston size.

do you have some sort of magical chart that says this:

If you have x size piston you can run this rod length w/ this r/s ratio?

or a way I can calculate it myself?

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Kenny

• Engine Guru
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 8
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2008, 11:33:39 AM »
whats a safe r/s ratio w/ out going overboard?

I'm a semi noob at this stuff, but learning..

From what I can think... piston size wouldn't affect r/s ratio correct. since either way it would be in the same position no matter the piston size.

do you have some sort of magical chart that says this:

If you have x size piston you can run this rod length w/ this r/s ratio?

or a way I can calculate it myself?
  It actually comes down to some fairly complicated "simulation" math that uses the piston weight x peak g force. The limitation is material strength used on the piston and rods. In extreme cases cylinder rock can be a problem. :'(
KDS Racing
685 Hope Rd
Floyd VA 24091
NEW PHONE 540-818-9154
Paypal: kenny@swva.net

:satan:

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2008, 12:19:34 PM »
Limitation of the piston being what? How much force is being applied from the top due to compression? Or how much force is being applied from the Rod?

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Kenny

• Engine Guru
  • VIP
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2008, 12:23:46 PM »
Limitation of the piston being what? How much force is being applied from the top due to compression? Or how much force is being applied from the Rod?
The pin will pull right out. I have never had a failure  due to a compressive load. 8)
KDS Racing
685 Hope Rd
Floyd VA 24091
NEW PHONE 540-818-9154

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2008, 12:29:29 PM »
The pin will pull right out. I have never had a failure  due to a compressive load. 8)

I didn't think there'd be any due to compressive load... So, What kind of pistons are people running that are running stroked/long rod apps? CP?

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Troy

• Bear Wrassler
  • Ninjas
  • Street Cred: 11
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2008, 12:58:15 PM »
I LIKE TATER TOTS :grin_nod:

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2008, 01:29:58 PM »
I LIKE TATER TOTS :grin_nod:

give me your TOTS!  :rofl:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline socalrappy700

• VIP+
  • Street Cred: 15
  • Ex Silvis, Pugnabimus
    • Raptorsource.com
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: July 30, 2008, 01:41:17 PM »
 :ot:
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline SUB454

• The Punisher
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 2
« Reply #84 on: July 30, 2008, 02:51:15 PM »

I didn't think there'd be any due to compressive load... So, What kind of pistons are people running that are running stroked/long rod apps? CP?

I know of only 3 long-rod builds. RocketFactory has 2...Pauls 12mm, Gene's 15mm. Kenz has 1...Mike Askin's(I think it's an 860). I believe CP is making the pistons to the builder's spec's.

Make that 4: WhiteKnuckle sent a 20mm oversea's :)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 03:10:10 PM by SUB454 »
DIRECTDRIVE

Offline Kenny

• Engine Guru
  • VIP
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: July 30, 2008, 03:00:17 PM »
Everything that comes with the Barker cranks is made by Diamond to Tim's specs and use 2618 instead of 4032 material. I use Diamond for my custom pistons as well 8)
KDS Racing
685 Hope Rd
Floyd VA 24091
NEW PHONE 540-818-9154

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: July 30, 2008, 03:14:06 PM »
I know Hot Rods makes theirs out of 4115 Material.

I'm making my head spin thinking about stuff right now.... ::)

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Pw383426

• Street Cred: 2
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: July 30, 2008, 05:20:00 PM »
That would be about 951.704 cc's and a 8 mil longer rod for a r/s ratio of 1.37:1 which is a bit nasty for my taste :lol:

damn.... 951 cc's..... I'm sayin give it a year and publicly there will be 1000cc rappy movin in the sand.  :batman:
The stock R/S ratio is 1.6:1.....If we used a 110 and a +20 it would be a 987. I could use a longer rod and have a larger custom piston made, no sweat. The head flow will be an issue when we get to that size. The highest flowing head I have seen is at 378 cfm (thank you very much), but I don't know that it would sufficiently feed it. :confused:

That's what I'm thinking.....

Offline socalrappy700

• VIP+
  • Street Cred: 15
  • Ex Silvis, Pugnabimus
    • Raptorsource.com
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: July 30, 2008, 06:11:35 PM »

That's what I'm thinking.....

;)
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline ordunner

• Street Cred: 0
« Reply #89 on: January 08, 2009, 07:05:54 AM »
So this looks to be the place to be  :clap: It was nice to read about this as it has answered some questions for me.  I need to check with Eric with WK and see what pistion he is using in the 843 ??? I am staying with pump gas as this is just going to be a fun duner/ play at the hill for me.  I know with my fat ass at 260lbs I will never hang with the rest but I will have fun anyway.  Who knows I might take of 20 or 40 or 60 lbs some day ::).  My stock CP12 to 1  lost all compreshion due to a bent valve caused by a ristpin elongation at the pistion.  Eric told me had the valve not bent the pistion would have gone one way and the rod the other :( So I am happy with very little damage and I get a new motor.  108mm with a +8mm rod, I think it should be a good runner with all the other parts I have.  Anyway looking forward to the 2009 raptor rally where we can run are new builds.