What are you reading now?

Started by Langford, January 23, 2012, 07:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langford

Well...we have a music and movie thread going, so why not a book thread for the readers.

So, any other readers on the forum? 

I'm always reading something...right now, I'm getting into the George R. R. Martin "Story of Ice and Fire" series.  Krandall recommended it a while back, but it slipped my mind.  My brother in law got me the first book for Christmas (a Game of Thrones), and I'm loving it.  I just ordered the deluxe edition hardcover from Barnes and Noble, along with the second book from the series (a Clash of Kings). 

I also loved the Tolkien books, and I'm very pleased to see that George R. R. Martin has a very similar writing style and genre, I think I'm really going to enjoy reading more of his work. 
Anybody who likes this type of reading, you need to check out the Inheritance series by Paolini...don't judge the books by the horrible movie they made of the first book (Eragon), that was pure trash.  I couldn't put the books down, but I only made it through about 20 minutes of the movie. 

Other than that genre, I'm a big Koontz and Crichton fan...their science fiction type of writing always keeps me coming back for more.  Koontz is really out there with some of his writing, but I still read all of it. 

Another great author that I have been reading lately is Steve Berry...somewhat Dan Brown'ish (who I'm also a fan of), but unique in his own way.  John Grisham also has some really good books, but the courtroom drama gets old and repetitive...so I can't read more than one of his books without breaking it up by reading another author before starting another. 

So add to it!  Who are your favorite authors?  Genre of writing you are into?  What are you reading right now, or planning on next? 
'07 powerwheels raptor...with a belt driven twin screw centrifugal turbocharger!  Wait for it, wait for it...!

Colorado700R

Dan Brown, Dale Brown, Tom Clancy, Robert Ludlum, Larry bond, issac azimoff, etc

kyledvor61

Chillomar

Fahrenheit 451  BY Ray Bradbury
great book read it  like 2 years ago during summer
American society where reading is outlawed and the firemen start fires to burn books
leading to chaos and some people rebelling towards society and it's rules  they made a movie on it
but it's not quite the same they tweaked a little but overall great book and movie  10/10
And thats how the cookie crumbles

rappyfreak

Wow, cool to see some other peeps on this forum read the same kinds of books I do. Wow Langford pretty much what I love to read. I like fantasy reading like Tolkien and just today finished the 5th book of the Game of Thrones series, friggin awesome! My mom gave them to me as a gift. Have also read Harry Potter. I really liked the classic Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. also enjoyed the Inheritance cycle series by Paolini, you can actually see his writing improve on every book, I'm starting the last book tomorrow. Also really like Tom Clancy, Robert Ludlum (Jason Bourne FTMFW!), Koontz and Dan Brown.
'06 Raptor 700: Yoshi RS-7 full, PCV, Pro Design Foam, EHS lid, Flexx bars, 2" Rox a/v risers, ASV C/5 levers, Powermadds, CCP, HDUSA i3500 +2 a-arms, Rap 700 SE front shocks redone by Wiig, Fox Podium X rear, DWT Drift rear and Hiper beadlocks, Pro Armor XC nerfs, Race grab bar, Tag Agro bumper/chassis skid, PRM 0.25" swinger skid

My name is Iñigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!

Peelz

ive forgotten how to read. :hefe1: but...back when I did, I liked scifi. Favorite writer is Piers Anthony. ANd sometimes Isaac Asimov
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Krandall

Sounds like we're on the same wave length Lang/Rappy! My brother in law got me started first on the board game "The Game of Thrones". Him and HIS brother in law were playing, and they were talking all about the game, and the families. I felt TOTALLY out of the loop, so I decided then I had to read the books. I just finished the last Harry Potter book, so I'm starting back up w/ the Game of Thrones (book 2). Was instantly hooked. I'm hoping I'll get into the TV series when I'm done w/ the books. I didn't read much up until the last 2 years probably. I was recommended the Odd Thomas series By Dean Koontz.. It was awesome. Next on the list is the hunger game series.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

imaquadr

stieg larsson " the girl with the dragon tattoo"  the movie was just ok but if you pick up the first one you will want all three.robert ludlum " apocalypse watch" during x-mas. got 4 michael connelly books " lincoln lawyer" for x-mas ,lasted about 1 1/2 weeks ( need to buy the rest used i read to fast)

rappyfreak

'06 Raptor 700: Yoshi RS-7 full, PCV, Pro Design Foam, EHS lid, Flexx bars, 2" Rox a/v risers, ASV C/5 levers, Powermadds, CCP, HDUSA i3500 +2 a-arms, Rap 700 SE front shocks redone by Wiig, Fox Podium X rear, DWT Drift rear and Hiper beadlocks, Pro Armor XC nerfs, Race grab bar, Tag Agro bumper/chassis skid, PRM 0.25" swinger skid

My name is Iñigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!

Peelz

the Kindle is killing print jobs ;) sorry, can't help it.....

:lol:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Colorado700R

Krandall

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Peelz

Quote from: Krandall on January 25, 2012, 07:24:29 AM
Quote from: PeelsSE2 on January 24, 2012, 06:53:17 PM

:blah:

Okay, Ill invent a hand held computer that can do your job.  Then see if it offends you at all :thumbs:

dick :lol:

Colorado700R

Quote from: PeelsSE2 on January 25, 2012, 08:42:10 AM
Quote from: Krandall on January 25, 2012, 07:24:29 AM
Quote from: PeelsSE2 on January 24, 2012, 06:53:17 PM

:blah:

Okay, Ill invent a hand held computer that can do your job.  Then see if it offends you at all :thumbs:

dick :lol:

They already did for randy, it's called the "Pocketpussy"

Geo