20** Dakar Rally

Started by Alkire193, December 28, 2010, 05:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alkire193

Quote from: PeelsSE2 on December 30, 2010, 04:54:48 PM
why are you sighing at me?  :(

Didnt know what else to say to when you posted. I came to work twice before I saw responses. So to me it felt like two days  :(

Peelz

Fookin forum nerdz.  Are there long distance tanks available pre built? Or is that custom only?
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Alkire193

Quote from: PeelsSE2 on December 30, 2010, 05:51:01 PM
Fookin forum nerdz.  Are there long distance tanks available pre built? Or is that custom only?

Yes, there are a few, but something that is more streamline makes more sense to me. Like modifying the mounts on a motorcycle tank or creating something custom. To show what I mean, here are some manufacturers that produce aux tanks for the 700R:

http://www.mastechno.net/prods.php?id=166            (Nerf tanks and refuel pumps for the main tank)

http://www.mecasystem.fr/brochures/catalogue%20Meca%27System%202010-2.pdf    (look towards the last few pages)

They look cumbersome, and im 6' 3" so standing on nerf tanks wont work for me, the heel guard tanks are not to bad by mecasystem.

Reading the rule book, so long as the atv meets a specific manufacturer requirement I can go a maximum of 900cc's and ANY modifications I want that make it stronger, faster, lighter or what not. There are a few small exceptions, but basically I can slap the TDM 900 in there with anything inside it (as long as I dont increase displacement over 900cc's) The sky is really the limit, no wonder there is so many custom looking atv's on the course.

SEG! Have you read the rulebook? You need to check out all the Emergency Procedures and the GPS Operation sections. I mean  :jaw: they are not messing around.

Peelz

It looks like from what Ive seen looking at pictures, your feet are snug between tanks and the frame. basically they go around the outline of the nerf. crazy. there was a guy on here a while back that did long distance quad racing that made his own...they were huge. I looked for awhile themorning I saw your post but can't find his thread. They were enormous, like the size of a goldwing fairing. As tall as your knees. he said it added well over 100lbs to the quad.

+1 on not f**king around. You ever spend any time watching it? insane! The guys on bikes....the middle of the african desert, completely dark... that would suck to get lost :lol: hell I was stranded at LS with a busted sprocket at night for about 20 minutes, that was enough for me.  :rofl:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Kamakazi

alkrie, i have very little faith in the dynatek ignition, ive had 3 blow up on me, i have yet to hear of a pc ign blow up, and dl can still tune them.  as for the sprockets, the stronger the better, hate to break one out there.  and i was really excited of the possibility of poly motor mounts for the 700 case :( maybe ill make some, i think they would sell really well, i already know what i would use for the fronts ;)
98% of north americans that hit the ditch say "oh shit", the other 2% are from saskatchewan and say "hold my beer and watch this"

Alkire193

Quote from: PeelsSE2 on December 30, 2010, 10:50:38 PM
It looks like from what Ive seen looking at pictures, your feet are snug between tanks and the frame. basically they go around the outline of the nerf. crazy. there was a guy on here a while back that did long distance quad racing that made his own...they were huge. I looked for awhile themorning I saw your post but can't find his thread. They were enormous, like the size of a goldwing fairing. As tall as your knees. he said it added well over 100lbs to the quad.

+1 on not f**king around. You ever spend any time watching it? insane! The guys on bikes....the middle of the african desert, completely dark... that would suck to get lost :lol: hell I was stranded at LS with a busted sprocket at night for about 20 minutes, that was enough for me.  :rofl:

Yea, it just seems limiting, The ones from the Colombian designer are nice, and their pumps are pretty cool. I dont know just yet. I mean how much fuel? more fuel = more weight, more fatigue, slower atv. Truth is there are options to stay fast which is why people dont pack too much fuel. Every leg there is a  chance to fuel. But more stops = slower pace. I was thinking of a fuel tank that replaces the front fairing almost entirely and runs to the rear subframe. Remove the seat plastic and turn that whole area with the filter into an additional section for fuel. then lose the riser for the rear subframe (aft mounting point for the fuel cell) and have it feed straight through. I bet I can go 25-30L or more with that. And since the seat has to be higher ill just do normal thickness padding and im sitting on a fuel cell. Hmmmm, ill try to mock something tonight to illustrate my point. The TDM has a sharper intake angle but can sit lower in the frame to bring down my CG, and then the exhaust can exit across the nerf (or ill find somewhere for it to go  ??? ) Then the intake can snorkel to some dam place, not sure where yet, but someplace seat level or higher. Im literally making this up as im typing. Fuel cell ive been tossing around but the intake and exhaust im just blurting out.

Also, the sidewinder chain and sprocket kit has titanium sprockets. They are heavy, but not weak like the aluminum Renthals I used to be running. Its good stuff  :thumbs: I would have come and got you!  :P In the rules it says if you take yourself out of the race you have to wait an entire night before pushing your distress beacon if no one finds you. If you press it early you get nailed with a big fine. These rules are more killer than the race!

The reason for posting this up is exactly what im getting (from here and MR). I didnt even know about all these companies or the TDM 900 without these postings. Today I got the Iphone App, the flash game on the www.dakar.com website, read the rulebook from A - Z and ive watched everything I can find for the past few years. Ill be tuned into this one. But all the research is going to be key. And trying to hop on with a crew for the 2012 or 2013 Dakar and see first hand what is going on. I admit, I dont think ive put 9500km on my atv at home and it breaks left and right soooo, this will have to be thought out for awhile.

Alkire193

Quote from: kamakazi on December 31, 2010, 12:32:03 AM
alkrie, i have very little faith in the dynatek ignition, ive had 3 blow up on me, i have yet to hear of a pc ign blow up, and dl can still tune them.  as for the sprockets, the stronger the better, hate to break one out there.  and i was really excited of the possibility of poly motor mounts for the 700 case :( maybe ill make some, i think they would sell really well, i already know what i would use for the fronts ;)

You know.....you just jogged my memory. I remember the discussions of the Dynatek IGN's and the struggles some were having. Mine didnt fail me, but others were hurting. Sorry you caught some bad luck. But you make a good point

Poly mounts would probably have you welding new mounts, and there is the issue with the swing arm bolt, there really is no way to do that part. But the TDM 900 has some options from customizing in some poly mounts  :clap:.

Colorado700R

You realize there's big dunes that will be crossed in Chile........perhaps you need a second rider for those sections :nod:

Alkire193

Quote from: Colorado700R on December 31, 2010, 10:00:24 AM
You realize there's big dunes that will be crossed in Chile........perhaps you need a second rider for those sections :nod:

Well you only get one rider. Guess im taking my chances  :thumbs:

My vertigo was related to not wanting to break anything. Like at Little Sahara, I was nervous, but I also didnt want to break anything. I was hurting for a new job and still wasnt sure my contracting was going to start off. If I broke a wrist id be screwed. At St. Anthony's I wasnt as worried but still didnt want to get hurt, or break your quad (great ride btw!) because that would delay me working at this job. But I was keeping with everyone out and back. Felt fine on the razorbacks.

I just want my contracting over with so I can get back to life. This race, I take it seriously, as it should be. I dont care if I roll down it, so long as I can keep going once im at the bottom. And after all the wrecks I have been in, there really isnt anything to fear. Im more concerned with getting lost than the terrain itself.

Peelz

Krandall

I cant imagine running that race. It'd be awesome for sure!!! I've watched a bunch of clips from last years... so insane!!!

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

rappyfreak

Hells yeah! Raptor with TDM 900 engine in 1st place, raptor 700 in second place and raptor 700 in 3rd place!
'06 Raptor 700: Yoshi RS-7 full, PCV, Pro Design Foam, EHS lid, Flexx bars, 2" Rox a/v risers, ASV C/5 levers, Powermadds, CCP, HDUSA i3500 +2 a-arms, Rap 700 SE front shocks redone by Wiig, Fox Podium X rear, DWT Drift rear and Hiper beadlocks, Pro Armor XC nerfs, Race grab bar, Tag Agro bumper/chassis skid, PRM 0.25" swinger skid

My name is Iñigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!

Peelz

Quote from: rappyfreak on January 17, 2011, 02:14:03 PM
Hells yeah! Raptor with TDM 900 engine in 1st place, raptor 700 in second place and raptor 700 in 3rd place!

8) :rockon:

Spartan

And I bet none of them were stock...:lol: