20** Dakar Rally

Started by Alkire193, December 28, 2010, 05:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alkire193

Im thinking about doing it. Since the quad for it has to be thought out from the ground to the grips in a new fashion that is reliable, fast, strong, comfortable with a fuel capacity that has to be custom built, I wanted to reach out for input. Here's is a ROUGH (I mean this is very incomplete) listing of what im thinking so far.

20** Dakar Build -  Update January 2nd 2011

Raptor 735cc or Raptor Hybrid 897cc Enduro

Motor - (700R)

+6mm Barker Balanced Crank
54mm White Knuckle TB
Custom molded intake, outwears airbox lid, outwears filter wrap
+2 Bo Port Head
Curtis Sparks Big Core Exhaust
HD5050 Cam/ RJ Cam
Iridium plug
Nology Plug wire with anti-resistor cap
Oil Cooler
In-line radiator cooler
Dual grounding
PWR Radiator
Hinson Clutch Basket
SPAL Fan
12V OEM batteries (2)
Anti-vibe motor mounts
Titanium hardware
PC3
Dynatek Programmable IGN
KDS evac valve
Kenz Head Stud Kit
Kenz Cylinder Stud Kit
Slingshot Lockup
Ron Wood Springs
OEM clutch

Motor (Alternate) – TDM 900

PC3
Dual Grounding
PWR Radiator
In-line hose cooler
KDS Evac Valve
Oil Cooler
SPAL Fan
Stiffer springs
Head porting
12V OEM batteries (2)
Anti-vibe motor mounts
Cylinder/Head stud kits
Custom exhaust
Dual Enlarged TB (size coming soon)
Dual large K&N Filters
Custom intake piping
Gear position indicator

Cryo Treatment:

Transmission (Forks, Gear Sets, Drum, Shift Lever)
Crank Balancers (2)
Clutch Basket
Pressure Plate
Brake Rotor Hub
Sprocket Hub
Front Wheel Hubs (2)
Crankshaft

Controls -

+2 ARS anti-vibe stem
Sunline 12-way adjustable clutch lever
Sunline Front Brake Lever (Dual Brake lines)(+2)
400ex thumb throttle
Twist throttle (aluminum throttle tube)
Pro Taper Twin Wall (Fat bars)
ARS Tie Rods (+2)
Precision Steering Stabilizer
Throttle Lock

Suspension -

Exit LT Shocks
ARS FX LT +2 A-arms
+2 LSR Swingarm
GT Thunder XC Link

Suspension (Alternate) -

Sonic Spider offroad IRS kit
EXIT ST Shocks (Rear)
EXIT LT Shocks (Front)
Gusseting IRS kit

Protection -

Custom Skid Plate
Rear Rotor Guard
Rear Chain Guard

Wheels/ Tires -

OMF Wheels 11x9 (Rear)
OMF Wheels 8x10 (Front)
HiPer Pro-Fill Foam Inserts
ITP Holeshot HD 22x11x9 (Rear)
MAXXIS RAZR "2" 23x8x10 (Front)
**Tires will cater to conditions**

Drive -

Sidewinder Chain and Sprocket (gears should be designed for speed and acceleration)
Lightweight Front Wheel Hubs
Stock width hardened rear axle
Extended rear wheel hubs

Drive (Alternate) -

Sidewinder Chain and Sprocket (gears should be designed for speed and acceleration)
Lightweight Front Wheel Hubs

Lighting -

HID slim ballast
OEM headlights
LED OEM Rear Brake Light

Fuel - *objective is to create 30-50L fuel capacity*

Custom High Capacity Fuel Cell (Tank)
External pump to feed the main tank with fuel from rear subframe aux tank
Switch to toggle pump on/off/normal operation
Tank should be removable (if the pump or fittings fail, the tank can be removed to pour the fuel into the main tank)

Special Requirements -

IRITRACK Emergency Transponder/ Comms System (Special Ordered, Deposit Req)
GPS (Recieve at race, Deposit Req)
Mounts for GPS, IRITRACK, Road Book.

Colorado700R

If it were me Chris, I wouldn't get too extreme with the motor.    Also, fuel economy will be important to keep you on the course and not constantly refueling.  Tires...I would probably choose some 23" front and 22" rear RAZR2s on OMF bead locks with Tireballs

Peelz

really really really good gps and a big gun. LOL

pics of some long distance endurance rallying.

And good shoot of a custom fuel setup.

I wanna go.  :thumbs:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

SprinterX

Kudos for wanting to tackle an event like the Dakar.
Suspension and navigation would be a huge priority in my books so I'd focus much effort there.
I'd might be inclined to rethink your current engine package plans. A 58mm TB I thought was more for drag racing and isn't really trail/desert freindly, not to mention the additional fuel requirements. Also I'm curious why you'd go with a +2 valve head on a stk bore cylinder. Wouldn't they be a little shrouded. I understand the need for some more power but I'd want to keep it around a nice reliable 60-65 hp range that made good low/mid range power with a decent over rev.
All the best and keep us informed how you're coming along with the project.
08 Raptor 700

RE +1 head, X4 cam, TQS 11.5 piston, KDS +3 TB & evac, FCI,
Barkers duals, PC5 with A/T, Dyna Programmable, DL700 tune.
+2 I-Shock arms, Rock axle, reworked shocks, GTT link, +4 oem ext'd swinger
Elka Sys5 Dampner, Fasst Flexx on Rox anti-vibe risers, TT HIDs
Razr2 on HiPers, Skat 21/12/8 8pdl extremes, Sandstar frts
Roll bumper, PA guards/nerfs/skids

Peelz

I would stop all motor work unless making it run smoother and more reliably, and focus on what sprinterx said. If it doesnt have to do with comfort and longevity, fahgetaboutit  :thumbs:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

fire raptor

I have not made a post for along time but this is interesting. The Raptor 700 engine in stock form is more than enough for power for the Dakar. Your machine must be reliable X,s 10. The rest of your additions look good but I hope you have a HUGE budget. Before you start on this project I hope you have checked on the cost of participating in the rally. It can run into the millions for vehicles and up to the hundreds of thousands for bikes and quads. Have you considered a Baja race for a tune up?? Best of luck as this will be the ultimate adventure.

Peelz

Is this years race actually going to include paris or dakar? Didnt they do it in S. America before due to political conditions?

fire raptor

Some are calling for the race to go back to Africa where the Muslim rebels thretened the lives of racers a few years ago. That is the reason for moving it to Chile. Many say it has been more difficult in Chile than when it was in Africa. Until they can control the s--t heads in Africa I would think it will stay in South America.

Alkire193

TWO DAYS!

It was up for 2 days before you all posted, and then you all post in mass. I swear....now im playing catch up

Ok im just going to shotgun blast responses  :clap:

Its a 54mm TB, not 58mm  :lol:

Stock motor climbs hills like a b****, and doesnt have what it takes to get up and down dunes or mountains with all the excess fuel and gear. tossing a balanced stroker into it avoids head gasket issues and creates a higher torque value. I was setting it up to get the most from a small build.

+2 head on 735 builds have given reliable high performance time and time again. If anything im kind of going overkill on reliability for the motor. stud kit on a 735? im a crazy mofo  ::)

UPDATE!!

The motor at this time is leaning very much toward not being a 700r motor anymore. Im staring at a 897cc 10V twin cylinder 6-spd 87hp 60 tq (Stock). Lots of research to do.

I left the year blank because this might take some time. Im not trying to be in the 2011 Dakar or even the 2012. And its to do it, not to win. Winning is a huge stretch to imagine.

I appreciate the input!  :thumbs:

Peelz

I posted the day after you started the thread at lunch time. :kiss: :)

I would LOOOOOVE to ride or drive a buggy in the dakar rally.

Sorta think it oughtta be renamed then, don't you fire raptor?

Kamakazi

i would ditch the dynatek and run the powercommander ignition straight off, next i would do the sprocket upgrade (i believe the kit re sells is a 430, its next size bigger anyways)  and may i ask where you bought your poly mounts from?  do you have any pictures of them?  i would really like some.  oh and are the omf beadlocks?  make sure you have a big backpack to fill with parts, put a case of sparkplugs in there and some oil  ;)  and i would also look into increasing your coolant capacity to help keep that bugger cool.

and of course if you put a raptorsource sticker on it, you are garanteed to gain infinite hp  :thumbs:
98% of north americans that hit the ditch say "oh shit", the other 2% are from saskatchewan and say "hold my beer and watch this"

Segkast

F'n AWESOME Alkire, been a dream of mine that will probably always remain so. So I'ma ride vicariously through you haha.

:cheers: All good input and points. You got a go pro right ? 8)
Oury grips & Yamalube

Alkire193

If it was across the ocean that changes things a little bit. Anything in the middle east is NOT going to have me without a 50 Cal. strapped to the handlebars and Africa is so fooked that its not worth it. The race is dangerous enough without adding political strife to the mix.

Peels...................*sigh*

Kami, my parts lists are speculation. There are no polyurethane mounts for the raptor, but that doesnt mean I can't make some since the new type of motor (probably TDM 900) will need some customizing to get in and get set. I agree with you about sprocket sizing, but it will come down to how much performance my engine provides to determine my sizing. I programmed in the gear ratios off the TDM 900, my tire sizes and a few sprocket ratios and found that it looks like a 100MPH possibility. 104MPH topped out in 5th, 114 in 6th. Impressive since cruise speed in many sections will be 80-90. PC IGN? I dont understand, can you clarify?

Seg, I read it 3 times, are you saying a helmet cam? Is there any doubt? haha. I want to remember it to, but im sure 9500km will be very memorable. Thanks for your support bro. When it all goes down id probably need some support so you are welcome to come on down and join in.

Segkast

Helmet cam, no doubt ! 8) Fully man ! I'd love to join you, but this one will have to just keep being a dream for me :lol: Nothing but props from me for even taking a serious look at doing this. :cheers:
Oury grips & Yamalube

Peelz

why are you sighing at me?  :(