WTF guys?? Help me out

Started by pj4553, June 20, 2008, 08:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pj4553

Here's the story.. A few weeks ago my quad wouldn't start. Ok so I did a bit of trouble shooting and it wound up being a fouled plug. Pretty common right? I've ridden a few times since then with no problems what so ever she ran great. Today I rode with my buddies for a few hours and after a couple hours my Raptor started running like complete shit. It was missing, sputtering, and wouldn't idle but just kill if I let off the gas. I had to get towed in. I figured I'm running rich and fouled another plug. Well I get home and start it the bike ran great  ??? Has this happened to anyone else? I'm scared to go riding because sometimes we go long distances and I don't want to get stranded in the middle of the Lacombe bayou at night  :'(

realdeal

what year.
have you tried different maps for you mods on the pcIII
CUSTOM 06 RAPTOR 700

FORMERLY KNOWN AS RAP7HUNDRED

exentix

Quote from: realdeal on June 20, 2008, 08:25:22 PM
what year.
have you tried different maps for you mods on the pcIII
im assuming 07 by the plastics

grap660

hey pj it probely is your maps
2004 raptor 660 blue, alba racing pipe,pro flow kit,pro design foam filter,jetted,gytr skid plate,razr 2 on rear,monster stickers,

dads 2005 yfz 450 alba edtion,alba racing pipe,alba racing graphics,trinty intake,itp holeshots on rear,tag handle barz,jetted,cam mod

pj4553

It's an 07. I had Jerry from Holeshot Designs pre-map my PC3 for my duals and intake. I never even loaded the software on my computer b/c I really have no idea how to custom tune or set a map.

Bert

Is the radiatior fan working?

pj4553

I think so.. Do you think it was overheating? It did start acting up after some slow crawling over obsticles that required high revs.

Bert

I was thinking a vapor lock issue since it seemed to run ok after it cooled down. 
Is your gas tank vent tube clear & free of obstruction ? 

I checked my fan my throwing a tarp over my quad & let it idle until I heard the fan kick in.  If the fan isn't working then the gas could be heating up inside the tank & be way too warm possibly causing issues with vapor lock.  The warm gas might  be flashing off gases from the additives & whatever else they put in gas these days.  The 3 balls in your gas cap act as your vent valve, next time the quad is hot & won't run listen while removing the gas cap, it shouldn't sound like air escaping the gas tank, a "whoosh" noise.   If you hear a whoosh noise remove 1 of the 3 balls in your gas cap & try that after verifying that the gas tank vent hose is clear & open.  All this may seem strange but the early 06's had faulty fuel pumps & had issues in different areas.  I may be way off here but I gave it a shot, let me know what you find  ???

A tip I read in Quad Magazine - cut all vent hose ends at a 45 degree angle as its much harder for them to plug.  Examples, gas tank vent hose, radiator fan vent hose, coolant overflow hose,  sometimes spiders & bug can plug a hose

pj4553

Cool man I'll check that out. I noticed a hissing sound coming from somewhere after I shut it off today. It sounded like a tire leaking. Maybe it was gas vapors? ???

Bert

I'm trying to remember a good way to test your fan?
I've read about several methods & there was a small amount of controversy with each method......due to the machines electronics  ???

Be sure to check all fan connections/fuses also

pj4553

Well I rode a bit today. It never died on me and idled fine but at constant speed at low rpm's it felt jerky and would miss  :confused:. The fans never came on but I didn't ride hard or for a long period of time. I'm going to go out in a bit and check my plug, connections, etc..

pj4553

Connections seem good. Here's my plug after about 5 hrs of riding. Does this look ok  :confused:

pj4553

Oh.. and I installed my PC3 software. How do I upload my current map to my computer so someone can take a look at it for me?

RR34

picture isnt clear enough for me to tell but the little porcelain donut around the electrode  should be chocolaty brown.
f*ck the system? i didnt even know there was a system!

http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=119&i=12144039584121zx

pj4553

I know sorry it's a crappy pic. I had to used my blackberry. It's all pretty black. Do you want me to try and get a better pic with an actual camera?