Can am side by side

Started by socalrappy700, June 26, 2010, 11:19:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krandall

I saw an RZR4 this past weekend too. Very cool looking.

1000cc's STOCK...

I forsee this becoming a monster. 8)

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Peelz

razr4 is too long, too skinny and the tires are too small. looks like a chinese POS. :confused: Bet it is fun though.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Colorado700R

long? skinny? round things too small?......oh hai randy!  :lol:

Colorado700R

Quote from: Troy31 on July 05, 2010, 08:59:48 PM
Wife saw a RZR4 on the way out to go riding this weekend, said she wants one. This is gonna be the first time she doesn't get what she wants. She isn't willing to give up her YFZR so I think i'm off the hook.

Yeah, that blue one off of HWY 24 in woodland park is pretty cool.  Would that even fit in your toyhauler with your quad?

Troy31

Quote from: Colorado700R on July 06, 2010, 12:08:16 PM
Quote from: Troy31 on July 05, 2010, 08:59:48 PM
Wife saw a RZR4 on the way out to go riding this weekend, said she wants one. This is gonna be the first time she doesn't get what she wants. She isn't willing to give up her YFZR so I think i'm off the hook.

Yeah, that blue one off of HWY 24 in woodland park is pretty cool.  Would that even fit in your toyhauler with your quad?
pretty sure i could get that and one quad in it. Cant see spending 20k on a RZR though, cause I would have to turbo it, winch....
06 LTR450- race quad
09 KTM 505SX- trail/duner/back up racer
09 YFZ450R- wife's
05 Blaster

Colorado700R

yeah, extras would add up quick.  And I'd like to take one for a spin, cause I'd like to see what I could do with that, that I couldn't with a Jeep for nearly the same price.

Magz

and the jeep would have A.C, radio, wipers, all the confort stuff.

Diggs59

Yeah, this is getting ridiculous really....Why would someone not just buy a mini-rail or Jeep for the money?

Troy31

Quote from: maguilar496 on July 06, 2010, 02:48:58 PM
and the jeep would have A.C, radio, wipers, all the confort stuff.

So would my RZR if I had one.
06 LTR450- race quad
09 KTM 505SX- trail/duner/back up racer
09 YFZ450R- wife's
05 Blaster

Langford

Quote from: Diggs59 on July 06, 2010, 04:29:49 PM
Yeah, this is getting ridiculous really....Why would someone not just buy a mini-rail or Jeep for the money?

I see a ton of people say things like this on other forums, and 99% of them change their mind after they spend some time in one.  I have seen a ton of guys over at pirate4x4 (big rock crawling forum) buy RZR's and other side x sides and say that they rarely spend any time in their jeep/rockcrawler anymore.  It is hard to explain to somebody who has never owned or driven one...but they are just fun. 

I can take my RZR, hit the trails, rock crawl, dune, mud, etc. and have no issues (and keep up with damn near anything).  You can build a jeep to handle any one of these situations just as well or better than my RZR can, but you can't handle all of them as well....and if you can, you are going to spend a WHOLE LOT MORE....purchase/build price, and repair prices.  If I break an axle, no big deal...I can buy the strongest one on the market for a couple hundred bucks and change it in 20 minutes.  Break an axle on a built jeep...big $$$.  Plus you can go through many places that a mini-rail or a jeep can't because of the size...

And when it comes to motor swaps etc...yes they are expensive, but they aren't needed.  For duners, maybe a few more HP would be nice...but its just for fun.  On the trails, it is easy enough to kill yourself with a stock motor.  But just like these Raptors we all buy and mod, they are plenty fast stock and have enough power to go damn near anywhere...but for some reason we all dump a ton of money to make them faster.  My current rzr is stock, but once it is paid off...I will be sporting either MC-X turbo kit or do the Weber motor swap...not because I need it, just because I want it.

The MC-X is a bolt-on turbo kit, which takes a stock RZR-S from around 55hp (crank HP), to around 100rwhp for around $4,000.  The Weber is a 750cc parallel twin snowmobile/PWC motor that comes in multiple forms...stock, non turbo is 100hp at the crank, stock turbo motor is 130hp, upgraded ECU with more boost and race gas is 170hp.  And there are big bore and stroker kits available for the Weber...the 850 big bore puts down around 250hp to the wheels, and the big bore stroker is around 350...which is absolutely insane for a small twin cylinder 4 stroke.  The basic 130hp turbo motor runs $10,000 for the engine, ecu, clutch kit, mounts and everything you need to drop it in a RZR (and you keep your 4wd, and all factory controls), and then you can sell your stock running gear for 3-4k, depending on hours/miles.  It is expensive, but it is a MUCH stronger and more reliable motor than the factory Polaris 800 twin.  Absolutely overkill, but they are extremely fast and fun.  Just the standard turbo weber will outrun a 3 mod raptor with ease, and I have seen an upgraded ecu (170hp weber) RZR run a 4.6 in the 300' drags with big traction issues. 

The $17,000 apex motor swap that somebody mentioned is ridiculously expensive, but it is a complete package.  You send them your RZR, they buy a Yamaha Apex motor (basically a R1 motor built for a snowmobile), add the apex MC-X turbo kit, boost it to 300hp (500+ hp on race fuel, highest I have seen was 700ish HP), stretch the frame, change the suspension, and do everything needed to make it reliable and drivable in a RZR.  There is only one of these complete that I know of, and 2 or 3 more in the works.  Trey at MC-X is the only person doing this conversion right now, so it is expensive and takes a while. 

There have been a few people who have done bike motor swaps, but they are all 1-off and you lose the 4x4, need to change the CVT to a chain driven gear box off of the bike, you need to fab up a clutch and shifter, and fab a new rear section of the frame to hold everything.  You can save a lot of money by going this route, but you need to be a damn good fabricator. 

And for the question of why spend so much on a sxs when you can buy something else...why not?  For the guys who have built them and spent so much, obviously they could have bought/built anything they wanted.  For some reason, there are a ton of guys building these.  There is just something about them that is so much fun, and until you experience it for yourself...you won't understand. 

'07 powerwheels raptor...with a belt driven twin screw centrifugal turbocharger!  Wait for it, wait for it...!

Langford

wow, sorry for writing a book...my fingers got on a roll there.

Check out this video, two built RZR's making Sand Mountain look like a flat....the black one is a 900cc big bore turbo polaris motor built by MC-X, the fast red one is a 300hp apex powered RZR built by MC-X.  I have never been there, but from what I have read...unless you have a pretty powerful quad, you won't see the top of the hill.  The apex was hitting the top at 65+ mph.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d2n14eagG8

If that doesn't explain the "why?", I don't know what will.  
'07 powerwheels raptor...with a belt driven twin screw centrifugal turbocharger!  Wait for it, wait for it...!

disco

Well written. 

For me personally, it would be too much for me to buy a new sxs THEN set out to modify it into a monster.  In my case I would go with a mini rail.  If I already had a sxs that was paid off, that's a big chunk already out of my way and I could easily nickle and dime my way into a monster.

The one offs you speak of that make you ditch the 4wd, that would be the factor that would tilt me to the rail.

Stock or not, I would take any of them! 
mostly stock with a 12t sprocket of fury

Peelz

Jeeps weigh too much, not as fun to jump. Tougher to tow
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Langford

Quote from: disco on July 06, 2010, 06:09:03 PM
Well written. 

For me personally, it would be too much for me to buy a new sxs THEN set out to modify it into a monster.  In my case I would go with a mini rail.  If I already had a sxs that was paid off, that's a big chunk already out of my way and I could easily nickle and dime my way into a monster.

The one offs you speak of that make you ditch the 4wd, that would be the factor that would tilt me to the rail.

Stock or not, I would take any of them! 

That's how I'm doing mine.  Bought it last spring, hope to pay it off by next spring, then the fun begins. 

Krandall

Quote from: Langford on July 06, 2010, 06:03:52 PM
wow, sorry for writing a book...my fingers got on a roll there.

Check out this video, two built RZR's making Sand Mountain look like a flat....the black one is a 900cc big bore turbo polaris motor built by MC-X, the fast red one is a 300hp apex powered RZR built by MC-X.  I have never been there, but from what I have read...unless you have a pretty powerful quad, you won't see the top of the hill.  The apex was hitting the top at 65+ mph. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d2n14eagG8

If that doesn't explain the "why?", I don't know what will. 

Holy crap those things MOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once