Top end not spinning... (Video Uploaded)

Started by Livingmylife93, June 15, 2010, 08:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Livingmylife93

I just got done my build, after i charged the battery it started right up and ran great. I havent gotten the hang of my fuel controller yet though so it was running rich.

But anyways, i go to start it back up and the starter sounds like its just spinning. But not turning the motor  ???

please help lol, its been months that this thing is apart now and i just wanna get it done. what should i do? i hit it with a rubber mallet and it didnt help

Spartan

Your one way might be bad or the starter is...did you check the one way gear to make sure it was locking in?

Livingmylife93

No, describe to me what that is lol

i never took the starter off the motor or anything though.

Livingmylife93

I went out and messed with it a bit this morning.

As of now:

The starter seems to being working correctly, the flywheel nut is turning but the chain is not turning the cam or anything. So basically the starter is free spinning my flywheel.

I went out and turned the flywheel nut by hand just to see if maybe i had a few bad teeth, and realized that when i turn it, its not turning the motor.  So my flywheel is not turning my motor. My chain still seems to be in one piece. I turned the motor backwards and it actually turned the cam maybe 2 teeth, then it started free spinning again.

I guess this means my timing is shot now too...
:help: :help: :help:   :cry:

Spartan

The flywheel one way might've taken a crap too...behind the flywheel there's a big gear that operates like the starter one way and if that get's f:mad:d it won't turn the crank with the cam. The starter one way is in the upper part of the stator cover and the starter slides right into it...so it's one of the two, not sure how to diagnose it other than taking the cover off and checking the operation of it.

Livingmylife93

ok, good to know.

what do i do fter i get the cover off?

If i take the cover off how much oil is going to come with it lol? cause i have 1 extra quart i can use, and no money to buy more.  ::)

Spartan

All of the oil I'm afraid or most of it...depends on how much is in the tank. You will also need a new stator cover gasket.

Livingmylife93

would liquid gasket work?

"yamabond 5"

Spartan

Yes but it's not recommended really...for one thing it will be extremely hard to get the cover off again if you need to fix something else.

Livingmylife93

Heres a video of whats going on, the chain IS connected, and the piston is not moving.
View My Video

And this came out when i took the cover off. Any idea where it came from?

Spartan

The piece that came out is a sort of alignment thing for the case cover...it goes into one of the big holes on the ends. There is actually two I think...It helps hold the gasket on as well.

It seems like the oneway on the flywheel is f-ed...That's an expensive piece unfortunately :( I did have a flywheel for sale but I sold it a month ago, sorry dude....I'll take a look around and see if I find any more cheap ones for you.

Livingmylife93

Livingmylife93

so i guess i need to somehow get the fly wheel off, which is going to be difficult being that it spins by it self. and then find a flywheel to put on..

Spartan

Don't do anything just yet, it could be another issue like the cam...I very rarely see this problem so I am asking some other people about it...hopefully some will chime in here.

Krandall

Can you verify that the chain is on the lower gear? (gear on the crank)

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once