Cold Start

Started by Alkire193, December 02, 2009, 12:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alkire193

Many XC events require the rider to cold start the atv for the holeshot. I mean you can try to warm it up as other classes launch but when it's your turn it's engine off till the flag drops.

I'm wondering. How can I get my 700 to start in one stroke?

preddy08

Quote from: Alkire193 on December 02, 2009, 12:17:08 PM
Many XC events require the rider to cold start the atv for the holeshot. I mean you can try to warm it up as other classes launch but when it's your turn it's engine off till the flag drops.

I've done a few of these starts, and its not fun. All you can do is make sure your tune is SPOT ON! and when you turn you quad off use the key, and not the switch. When ever I use the switch it takes 3-4 revolutions longer than it should. I've been told the fuel pump still runs a little and floods it out a little.
Just a little 81hp trail bike.

Kamakazi

Ether FTW!!!!!!..................................................J/K DON NOT USE ETHER!!!!!!!  :lol:
98% of north americans that hit the ditch say "oh shit", the other 2% are from saskatchewan and say "hold my beer and watch this"

Alkire193

Quote from: preddy08 on December 02, 2009, 12:31:19 PM
Quote from: Alkire193 on December 02, 2009, 12:17:08 PM

I've done a few of these starts, and its not fun. All you can do is make sure your tune is SPOT ON! and when you turn you quad off use the key, and not the switch. When ever I use the switch it takes 3-4 revolutions longer than it should. I've been told the fuel pump still runs a little and floods it out a little.

I see. That's a good point. My YouTube account has that happenig to me at Titan.

When a pro one at Loretta Lynns he said he put in a new battery and charged it all night. Would that also be helpful?

Blair

one thing that i noticed is to make sure your TPS is bang on too... if your TPS is out of whack a little bit it will take a few extra cranks to fire up.
"The Difference Between Genius and Stupidity... Genius Has It's Limits"
"Scars are the Tattoo's of the Brave"
06 Raptor 700 SE - Pro Circuit T4 - PCIII - ASV Levers - AC Racing Nerfs - AC belly Skid (broken) - Holeshot XCR - Pro Taper Raptor Bend Bars - Pro-Tec Prefilter Airbox Lid - HID Headlights -

Alkire193

Quote from: Blair on December 02, 2009, 01:51:30 PM
one thing that i noticed is to make sure your TPS is bang on too... if your TPS is out of whack a little bit it will take a few extra cranks to fire up.

ok, I've heard that also. That's a good point Blair.

I'm tryig to avoid the "pray" aspect. It's always too unpredictable.

What about a manual decomp or stronger spark?

Krandall

I don't know if decomp is necessary only because, it should crank over fairly free already. I think a stronger spark is a good option though. Have you replaced your stock spark plug wire?

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Alkire193

Well id like to but the issue is that someone suggested I re-wire my SPAL fan with a relay, and now the thing doesnt even turn on. SO I dont want to mess with my spark plug wire unless im absolutely sure that it will work and be reliable.

Krandall

It's just replacing the wire from the coil to the plug. You can't mess anything up :lol:

just buy like 12" of fancy wire and put it in place of the current. I think it was kenny that said.. In the stock wire theres some sort of resistor so it doesn't allow full spark.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Alkire193

On Modded I think it was DL700 and he is the one that told me to rewire my SPAL fan to get rid of the "surging" that occurs from it drawing too many amps. This spark plug wire is probably something I can speak to the Joker about as he rebuilds my bike......ive said to much already

Kamakazi

Quote from: Alkire193 on December 11, 2009, 01:13:29 AM
On Modded I think it was DL700 and he is the one that told me to rewire my SPAL fan to get rid of the "surging" that occurs from it drawing too many amps. This spark plug wire is probably something I can speak to the Joker about as he rebuilds my bike......ive said to much already

joker is rebuilding your bike  ???  If its not a turbo, may i ask why?
98% of north americans that hit the ditch say "oh shit", the other 2% are from saskatchewan and say "hold my beer and watch this"

Krandall

let us in on your little secret!! :clap:

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Alkire193

Im in FOB Shank, Afghanistan. Its kind of hard to rebuild a Raptor thats 7000 miles away. So Kevin at Joker's Vault is going to hit up my winter rebuild.

And Krandall, nope. Come to the Rally next year and see for yourself!

NaturalRaptor

Does your iphone 3gs work over there?
It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.

Troy

Quote from: Alkire193 on December 11, 2009, 01:13:29 AM

lol, I love top secret builds :lol: