Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Fact O' The Day  (Read 83937 times)

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
Re: Fact O' The Day
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2009, 07:45:04 PM »
The female of the species is more deadly than the male in virtually all living species.    >:D

Good to know, Lorena....

I am nothing like her... I would have shoved it down his throat, not throw it in the field.   :rofl:

:confused:   :help:

Offline Lady4Fiddy

• Rally Queen
  • Ninjas
  • Street Cred: 20
  • I'm just your average Crazy Ass Woman!
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2009, 08:00:53 PM »
The female of the species is more deadly than the male in virtually all living species.    >:D

Good to know, Lorena....

I am nothing like her... I would have shoved it down his throat, not throw it in the field.   :rofl:

:confused:   :help:

Don't worry hunny... just keep mama happy.   ;)
Sticks and stones may break my bones but whips and chains excite me! >:D

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2009, 08:19:51 PM »

Offline Lady4Fiddy

• Rally Queen
  • Ninjas
  • Street Cred: 20
  • I'm just your average Crazy Ass Woman!
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2009, 08:27:07 PM »
Sticks and stones may break my bones but whips and chains excite me! >:D

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2009, 07:12:52 AM »

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2009, 07:14:37 AM »
'Hollywood's summer blockbuster era began in 1975.'

All the elements we associate with a summer blockbuster movie can be found for the first time in Steven Spielberg's 1975 horror masterpiece Jaws: An action-driven narrative featuring cutting-edge special effects, geared toward young audiences out of school and designed to do nothing less than break records at the box office. The Omen played the role of blockbuster in 1976, followed by 1977's Star Wars.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2009, 08:40:18 AM »
Hot water can burn in less than 3 seconds.  :lol:

I think it was daffy duck who told me that. :lol:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Hefe

• SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1
  • Testicular Sanitation Personnel
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2009, 08:47:24 AM »
Jaws: An action-driven narrative featuring cutting-edge special effects, geared toward young audiences out of school and designed to do nothing less than break records at the box office. The Omen played the role of blockbuster in 1976, followed by 1977's Star Wars.

I saw 2 of those 3 in the theater when they came out
I was a bit to young to see the Omen, but my parents had no problem letting me see Jaws.. scared the FERK outta me!

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2009, 08:07:09 AM »
'HBO was the first-ever satellite-based cable TV service. '

By the time HBO was launched by Time Inc. in 1975, cable television had technically been around for decades. It began in the 1940s as a means of bringing television reception to regions where a home antenna just wasn’t doing the trick. Community antenna television (CATV) was cable TV in its infancy, and it solved that reception problem by putting a tall tower at a high local elevation and using a coaxial cable to transmit the incoming TV signals to local subscribers. By virtue of that powerful community antenna, those subscribers wound up getting far more channels, on both the VHF and UHF signals, than the ordinary person with a home antenna.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2009, 08:08:09 AM »
'The longest commercially navigable inland waterway in the world starts in Minnesota.'

Stretching 2,342 miles, from Lake Superior in Duluth, Minnesota, all the way to the Atlantic Ocean, "Highway H2O," also known as the St. Lawrence Seaway, was one of President Eisenhower's many massive public works projects (the Interstate system being another). The Seaway, which cost over $470 million, required 5 years' work, moved 200 million cubic yards of earth, and includes 15 enormous locks. It opened in 1959 as a joint venture between the U.S. and Canada, and today is operated by the St. Lawrence Seaway Development Corporation.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2009, 09:46:50 AM »
The Twilight Zone is not just a television show.

In 1964 the great Rod Serling turned the twilight zone into The Twilight Zone, one of the more spectacular sci-fi TV shows of all time, but he didn't make the title up; rather, he borrowed it from oceanography. The twilight zone is an aquatic layer in water extending 650 ft (200 m) down to around 3,280 ft (1000 m), an area in deep water known as the mesopelagic, where light cannot penetrate -- or at least, not enough light to allow for photosynthesis.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2009, 08:52:01 AM »
'Woodstock was funded by two venture capitalists writing a sitcom pilot about venture capitalists looking for an oddball proposal. '

The now-legendary Woodstock festival of 1969 began as an idea from a store owner named Michael Lang, who wanted to throw a concert as a means of promoting a state-of-the-art recording studio in Woodstock, NY. Lang and music business insider Artie Kornfeld needed funding, so they went to John Roberts and Joel Rosenman, venture capitalists who at the time were writing a pilot about venture capitalists looking for oddball proposals to fund. Ultimately, the two agreed to invest $500,000 in Woodstock, but Roberts later claimed the festival cost in excess of $3 million and that neither he nor Rosenman ever turned a profit off the festival.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2009, 08:49:07 AM »
'Buzz Aldrin's mother's maiden name was "Moon."'
The second man to walk on the moon (a fact, he tells the New York Times, that didn't bother him), Buzz Aldrin was indeed born to a woman whose maiden name was, appropriately enough, Moon. According to a piece in GQ by Sean Wilsey, Aldrin's reputation as a player during his NASA days earned him the nickname "Dr. Rendezvous"; shortly after he touched down from Apollo XI, Wilsey claims the married Aldrin used his NASA-issued T-38 supersonic jet to fly from Houston to New York to hook up with a girlfriend.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Gunz

• My body is your wonderland
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 36
    • Dent Source
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2009, 05:22:11 PM »
"Women fart just as much as men"

It's a fact

Dent Source LLC

941 +10 w/bar

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2009, 11:37:19 AM »
'In one California city, for every live resident there are 1,000 dead ones. '

Colma, just south of San Francisco, was founded to be a necropolis in 1924 after San Francisco authorities evicted most of the city's cemeteries because of rising land values. Today, Colma has 17 cemeteries; three-quarters of the city's 2.2 square miles are zoned for the dead and buried, which includes one pet cemetery. Estimates put the living population at around 1,500 and the dead at 1.5 million, a figure that includes numerous celebrities, such as Joe DiMaggio and Wyatt Earp.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here: