need help

Started by fireman5166, June 23, 2009, 07:07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fireman5166

well guys I need help with some ideas. my work makes tooling for c&c milling machines. we are looking for ideas to make new products. like c&c heads, c&c throtle bodys. Or anything you can think of. we have a huge milling machine to test our tools. we now would like to turn the machine into something we can make some money on. Here is just a thought but how about a all aluminum swing arm. milled from a solid block. (maybe to heavy or not strong enough?) any thoughts or ideas. please help. I would love to see my job go towards the aftermarket for quads.
07 Raptor 700
pcIII
hot cams III
barker duals
rocket factory intake w/K&N
Dynatek programmable  Ignition
Iridium Plug
evac valve
renthal bars
asv
ac nerfs
fuel atv bumber
kenda gnarlys
Itp sand stars
22" haulers 8 paddles
12,13,14,15, tooth front sprockets
38,40, rear sprockets

Blair

love the idea of a billet swing arm... but i would hate to see the cost... billet aint cheap... neither is machining time...
"The Difference Between Genius and Stupidity... Genius Has It's Limits"
"Scars are the Tattoo's of the Brave"
06 Raptor 700 SE - Pro Circuit T4 - PCIII - ASV Levers - AC Racing Nerfs - AC belly Skid (broken) - Holeshot XCR - Pro Taper Raptor Bend Bars - Pro-Tec Prefilter Airbox Lid - HID Headlights -

fireman5166

well that is what we are trying to figure out. we have the machine and all it does is sit there. would like to see if we can make some parts. parking break block offs, throttle covers. anything. just looking for ideas i can run by the boss. 
07 Raptor 700
pcIII
hot cams III
barker duals
Iridium Plug
evac valve
renthal bars
asv
ac nerfs
fuel atv bumber
kenda gnarlys
Itp sand stars
22" haulers 8 paddles
38,40, rear sprockets

Krandall

I would say... Start small.

If you're serious about using billet. Here's the things I see a market for.

Gas Caps, Oil Dip Sticks, case plugs like on the sides of the case. Throttle cover, brake fluid cover.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Colorado700R

Peelz

Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Krandall

I think wheel spacers may be tough, I would bet you have to get some sort of insurance for them. I could see if they broke someone sueing if they got hurt

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

fireman5166

yea didn't think of that.
07 Raptor 700
pcIII
hot cams III
barker duals
Iridium Plug
evac valve
renthal bars
asv
ac nerfs
fuel atv bumber
kenda gnarlys
Itp sand stars
22" haulers 8 paddles
38,40, rear sprockets

fireman5166

here are some pics.
07 Raptor 700
pcIII
hot cams III
barker duals
Iridium Plug
evac valve
renthal bars
asv
ac nerfs
fuel atv bumber
kenda gnarlys
Itp sand stars
22" haulers 8 paddles
38,40, rear sprockets

fireman5166

sorry crappy cell phone pics.
07 Raptor 700
pcIII
hot cams III
barker duals
Iridium Plug
evac valve
renthal bars
asv
ac nerfs
fuel atv bumber
kenda gnarlys
Itp sand stars
22" haulers 8 paddles
38,40, rear sprockets

Colorado700R

any, and I mean any product you put on a quad can potentially fail and cause harm to the rider.  Just think about a dune flag, if it snaps and leaves a sharp stub on the mount, then the quad rolls on you.....X(

Or like CCP, if one of his stabs binds up while trail riding at 40 mph X(

I think wheel spacers for all types of quads is a fairly cheap retool for a machine shop, and as long as you use high quality materials, you'll be just fine.

Krandall

Someone was looking into doing custom sub frames. They decided not to due to the insurance cost they needed to back the product. That's all I'm thinking of. :thumbs:

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Peelz

Quote from: Krandall on June 24, 2009, 10:45:43 AM
Someone was looking into doing custom sub frames. They decided not to due to the insurance cost they needed to back the product. That's all I'm thinking of. :thumbs:

Yeah, that was because you need limited liabilty insurance. which is sort of expensive. But necessary if you are starting a business. I know who you were talking about.

Betting Fireman's Co. already has that. THey should be ok.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Colorado700R

I bet the machine company already has it for the products the already make

Peelz

Quote from: Colorado700R on June 24, 2009, 04:59:36 PM
I bet the machine company already has it for the products the already make

+1

But it costs money to make money. So just making subframes in your garage is not really profitable.