New Fourwheeler (PICS 5/27 LAST PAGE)

Started by kyledvor61, March 28, 2009, 11:35:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hefe

yea.. spill it... how did you get it running?

kyledvor61

the timing was off. I dont know how it happened. We checked it 5 times at least, and it was perfect each time. We changed plugs, and got it to pop and backfire and run like shit while being pulled. from that we figured it was timing. Checked again and the intake cam was a few teeth off. :wtf: We checked it several times it was dead on. Put the cam back how its supposed to be. I started it up in 3 kicks. Loud ticking coming from engine. Tore back down and used feeler gauges to check valves. Intake tolerance is .004-.006 (I think, its somewhere around there). The valves were at .004, .009, and .014 :jaw: This was my dads error when putting back together. The exhaust tolerance is .008-.010 and they were .015 and .013. I then went to my dads shop and made my own shims on a lathe. Went back home put it back together and bam 3 kicks it fired right up.

Funny thing. it was running in the driveway and my dad says to rev it. He was standing opposite the exhaust side. Appearently I didnt tighten down the radiator line going to the motor, and poof the line popped off and like a huge squirt gun it covered him with radiator fluid. Emptied the system in a few seconds. funniest thing ive ever seen. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Got that tightened up and took it for a spin. all I can say is WOW. I truly dont know how it moves so fast. same motor as the yfz except for open intake and porting. Bitch scoots :clap: throttle response and bottom end power is very nice :nod:

This motor has an oil conversion kit, so it doesnt have the oil tank. On top of the tank is supposed to be a return line that comes from the head. my other head had that port blocked off so it wouldnt flow. New head had that hole open, which I forgot about. :lol: So as soon as I get a plug for that, and my yard dries ill have some videos :clap: :clap: :clap:

and i put on all the fast stickers so now maybe ill have good luck :lol:

Peelz

A: Good news
B: LMAO at "radiator fluid"
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

kyledvor61

Quote from: PeelsSE2 on June 01, 2009, 09:42:11 PM
A: Good news
B: LMAO at "radiator fluid"
man it was so freakin funny. it just shot out, I really couldnt believe it flowed that fast.

on another note im guessing its running lean. I know the header gets red but this mofo was cheeto orange after idling for a few minutes. and the antifreeze was bubbling out the overflow as I shut it off. not cool. Not sure whats goin on there.

Krandall

bummer about the bubbling, that sounds like head gasket :(

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Peelz

did I say "should've kept the YFZ yet"?  Just checking.   :lol:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

kyledvor61

Quote from: Krandall on June 02, 2009, 08:45:36 AM
bummer about the bubbling, that sounds like head gasket :(
how does that indicate a head gasket? Just wondering

Krandall

Bubbles..

What happens when the head gasket leaks is, on its compression stroke, the gasket cant hold it, finds the weakest point and pushes air that's compressed through the gasket into the water jackets.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

kyledvor61

Quote from: Krandall on June 02, 2009, 09:34:32 AM
Bubbles..

What happens when the head gasket leaks is, on its compression stroke, the gasket cant hold it, finds the weakest point and pushes air that's compressed through the gasket into the water jackets.
shit.

well i guess ill have to replace the gasket once I get my 98mm cylinder in

Lady4Fiddy

Peels dog needs to go visit Kyle for clean up of coolant!   :confused:
Sticks and stones may break my bones but whips and chains excite me! >:D

Peelz

Quote from: Lady4Fiddy on June 03, 2009, 11:23:24 AM
Peels dog needs to go visit Kyle for clean up of coolant!   :confused:

LMAO!  well said 4fizzle

kyledvor61

4fizzle mynizzle?

rode for a few laps this morning. I like the bottom end torque, but I cant get it to hook up :lol:

need to tune the suspension and a-arms

Krandall

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Colorado700R

He doesn't want to reveal evidence that he's slower than Lady4fiddy :batman:

Peelz

Quote from: Colorado700R on June 04, 2009, 03:01:30 PM
He doesn't want to reveal evidence that he's slower than Lady4fiddy :batman:

this is assumed, regardless of vids.  :lol: