New Fourwheeler (PICS 5/27 LAST PAGE)

Started by kyledvor61, March 28, 2009, 11:35:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krandall

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

kyledvor61

Quote from: Krandall on April 01, 2009, 03:40:25 PM
???

What hapend? 
wasnt me. saw the base gasket was leaking and took off the head and thats what I found. Looked at it and Dad said I needed a new head. He said everything else looks good though. cylinder and piston were ok, so i might keep them in. but if he lets me im goin bigger on the bore.

Mad Dog

not worth the 2 hp to go bigger IMO, not unless you need to re-work the cylinder walls.

Peelz

Quote from: kyledvor61 on April 01, 2009, 04:07:36 PM
???

What hapend? 
wasnt me. saw the base gasket was leaking and took off the head and thats what I found. Looked at it and Dad said I needed a new head. He said everything else looks good though. cylinder and piston were ok, so i might keep them in. but if he lets me im goin bigger on the bore.

reason #1 for not buying previously raced, frankenstein quad.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

kyledvor61

for how cheap i bought it for, its worth putting the money into to rebuild it

Peelz

Quote from: kyledvor61 on April 01, 2009, 05:47:18 PM
for how cheap i bought it for, its worth putting the money into to rebuild it

OK, good luck.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

socalrappy700

Quote from: PeelsSE2 on April 01, 2009, 05:02:06 PM
???

What hapend? 

That was a huge reason I thought it was a bad idea....doesn't matter how cheap you got it.  It may be cheap but you can't ride it right now since it needs to be fixed. 
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Colorado700R

Quote from: Socalrappy700 on April 02, 2009, 08:30:44 AM
???

What hapend? 

That was a huge reason I thought it was a bad idea....doesn't matter how cheap you got it.  It may be cheap but you can't ride it right now since it needs to be fixed. 

If your happy with it Kyle, that's all that matters.  :thumbs:

Mad Dog

???

What hapend? 

I got mine brand new, and I can't ride it right now because it needs to be fixed...

;)

socalrappy700

Quote from: Mad Dog on April 02, 2009, 10:13:24 AM
???

What hapend? 

I got mine brand new, and I can't ride it right now because it needs to be fixed...

;)

That has a bunch of factors to it...the work you had done, its been raced hard.  Your has had the same life this quad has. 
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Mad Dog

I guess I don't see a difference b/w racing and "racing hard", if you're racing you're trying to win regardless.  The difference is the maintenance you put into it.  I have made efforts to properly maintain the mechanical workings of my atv, proactively replacing some parts and replacing others at the first sign of trouble.  When you're dealing with a performance engine the plain fact is that you're going to have a dramatically shortened lifespan, the difference b/w kyle and I being that his motor was designed for that level of performance directly from a motorcycle intended for mx/xc and mine has been modified from more humble beginnings as a lazy dual sport bike motor which yamaha threw reverse on and tweaked for trail atv duty.

Performance costs reliability and money no matter where it comes from, but the relationship of these is neither linear nor static.  New or used that motor of his was designed with short service intervals in mind.  Valve trains on such machines don't last long and the high rpm isn't exactly a favor to the bottom end either.  Hard to say how long such a motor will run if it's coddled, but IMO most recreational riders do not baby their bikes when they are on them.

socalrappy700

Quote from: Mad Dog on April 02, 2009, 10:43:12 AM
I guess I don't see a difference b/w racing and "racing hard", if you're racing you're trying to win regardless.  The difference is the maintenance you put into it.  I have made efforts to properly maintain the mechanical workings of my atv, proactively replacing some parts and replacing others at the first sign of trouble.  When you're dealing with a performance engine the plain fact is that you're going to have a dramatically shortened lifespan, the difference b/w kyle and I being that his motor was designed for that level of performance directly from a motorcycle intended for mx/xc and mine has been modified from more humble beginnings as a lazy dual sport bike motor which yamaha threw reverse on and tweaked for trail atv duty.

Performance costs reliability and money no matter where it comes from, but the relationship of these is neither linear nor static.

There is no difference, racing is racing hard...same meaning, just different wording. 

Yours is a different story, I know you've taken care of it.  I still wonder if it was messed up at barkers.  But I don't know if Kyle's was taken care of so I would be worried to pick something like that up. 
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Peelz

Just thinking this is too much dough for a pieced-together quad that you have to tear apart. Kyle isn't really spending his own money yet, so no biggie for him. I would not buy it. And I would be pissed as F**k if I brought it home and motor was shot. But, as Colorado said "if he is happy, that is all that matters"` :thumbs:

Mad Dog

Quote from: PeelsSE2 on April 02, 2009, 11:24:01 AM
Just thinking this is too much dough for a pieced-together quad that you have to tear apart. Kyle isn't really spending his own money yet, so no biggie for him. I would not buy it. And I would be pissed as F**k if I brought it home and motor was shot. But, as Colorado said "if he is happy, that is all that matters"` :thumbs:

I don't really call it a "pieced together" quad, it's a hybrid and probably the most popular type and one of the most successful race setups of the 90's.  This is exactly what pro riders were running in AMA events.  But I just need to shut up and let it die as well.

Peelz

Quote from: Mad Dog on April 02, 2009, 11:34:09 AM
Quote from: PeelsSE2 on April 02, 2009, 11:24:01 AM

I don't really call it a "pieced together" quad, it's a hybrid and probably the most popular type and one of the most successful race setups of the 90's.  But I just need to shut up and let it die as well.

"pieced together" as in home-built. i am not as trusting as some of you. It is cool to have all that stuff though. But, I agree, I will stfu as well.  Let Kyle have his thread back.