General consensus on Maxxis Rzr 2 tires

Started by Headrope, January 27, 2009, 01:23:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

preddy08

Quote from: Socalrappy700 on January 27, 2009, 12:27:34 PM
Quote from: preddy08 on January 27, 2009, 12:17:18 PM
Quote from: Socalrappy700 on January 27, 2009, 10:31:03 AM
I'm shocked when people say they can feel if a tire is heaver....at 2lb a tire. 

I hope your not refering to me..........

No, but if said you could then yes. 

Way to slip in your typical sarcastic comment :thumbs:
Just a little 81hp trail bike.

socalrappy700

Quote from: preddy08 on January 27, 2009, 12:56:54 PM
Quote from: Socalrappy700 on January 27, 2009, 12:27:34 PM
Quote from: preddy08 on January 27, 2009, 12:17:18 PM
Quote from: Socalrappy700 on January 27, 2009, 10:31:03 AM
I'm shocked when people say they can feel if a tire is heaver....at 2lb a tire. 

I hope your not refering to me..........

No, but if said you could then yes. 

Way to slip in your typical sarcastic comment :thumbs:

Not sarcastic, but ok.   :confused:

Simply saying I was shocked when people could feel a difference.  Who gives a crap who it was, that doesn't change me being shocked and it shouldn't change how you feel.  Move on.
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Krandall

Rotational Mass = HP. I know we've discussed this already. I don't think using a butt dyno you'd see a difference. But.. I wonder if DL700 could chime in. I wonder if it'd be noticable on dyno. ???

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

berry42079

i use them and noone likes riding behind me :D...if only they could pass me :lol:

socalrappy700

Quote from: Krandall on January 27, 2009, 01:53:36 PM
Rotational Mass = HP. I know we've discussed this already. I don't think using a butt dyno you'd see a difference. But.. I wonder if DL700 could chime in. I wonder if it'd be noticable on dyno. ???

I understand there is a chance you could see a difference on a dyno, but it may be hard to spot something that small.  My point was the people who said they could feel a difference....and to be clear, I'm not talking about you preddy.
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Colorado700R

Can you feel a diffrence in tire weight, IME only really during endurance races.  For the normal rider, not really.  It can be a catch 22 though, if you have stockers they are super light, but pop easy and roll horribly in the corners, wheras a H2 and the GNCC are heavier and tougher, but maintain a firm side wall in a corner allowing far better handling.

Bottom line IMO, diffrent strokes for diffrent folks.  None of the tires mentioned here are "bad", just gotta find the one you like the best.

Aaron

Colorado700R

BTW, when I say feeling the difference during endurance racing, I mean in the front end steering.  It may be only a pound or so total, but it's like doing a 1000 reps with a 2lbs wieght, not much to it at first, but after an hour or so, you'll notice it.

socalrappy700

Quote from: Colorado700R on January 27, 2009, 02:13:59 PM
BTW, when I say feeling the difference during endurance racing, I mean in the front end steering.  It may be only a pound or so total, but it's like doing a 1000 reps with a 2lbs wieght, not much to it at first, but after an hour or so, you'll notice it.

I'm still not sure you'll feel it in the steering.  I don't think I could tell any difference between the razr2 or the stockers on a long ride.  I would be nothing like doing 1000 reps with 2lbs more weight, totally different physics.
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

preddy08

Theres a reason that scat track makes std buffs, single, double, and SLW. :thumbs:

My GBC are 2lbs lighter than razr2s and my XCR's fell at least another 2+lbs lighter than the GBCs. GNCC's are even lighter than the XCR's.
Just a little 81hp trail bike.

Colorado700R

Quote from: Socalrappy700 on January 27, 2009, 02:18:08 PM

I'm still not sure you'll feel it in the steering.  I don't think I could tell any difference between the razr2 or the stockers on a long ride.  I would be nothing like doing 1000 reps with 2lbs more weight, totally different physics.

My body told me diffrent, thats all I'm saying.  2 hours on the same course, 6 ply razrs, vs 6ply gnccs.  I can only report my expierences.  my arms were jello with the razrs.

socalrappy700

Quote from: Colorado700R on January 27, 2009, 02:26:06 PM

My body told me diffrent, thats all I'm saying.  2 hours on the same course, 6 ply razrs, vs 6ply gnccs.  I can only report my expierences.  my arms were jello with the razrs.

That could be from hook up.  When did you do this race?
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Colorado700R

Quote from: Socalrappy700 on January 27, 2009, 02:29:34 PM
Quote from: Colorado700R on January 27, 2009, 02:26:06 PM

That could be from hook up.  When did you do this race?

Timed practice course for me and my buddy, conditions were the same for both outings.  We use the course as conditioning training. these were done one week apart.  My buddy on his KFX also said his arms were much less tired.  Both sets of tires had about the same wear at that time, 3 months latetr my GNCCs were gone  :mad:

Headrope

OK, kids. Don't make me pull the forum over. :lol:

I'm a mostly recreational rider who rides a stock quad but more often than most, on just about every type of terrain available in the Pacific Northwest. I drag race occasionally - on sand using paddles tires - but only against buddies, making words like "weight" and "horsepower" not so important since everything I 'feel' is through the seat and handlebars.

The stock tires worked fine other than making first gear useless but need to be replaced anyway so I'm looking to upgrade. Based on reading here and elsewhere it seemed the great debate usually came down to being between the Razr and GNCC. I've ridden on the Razr before and the Razr 2 looks to be an improvement over that. Everything I've read about the GNCC seems to indicate it's a terrific tire but wears quickly. Since I'm not winning any money by riding - and am married -  I can only afford tires every two-three seasons.
Two '06 700R SEs

Both with:                                          One also with:                   
GYT-R Sport front grab bar                   GYT-R Swingarm guard
GYT-R Engine/frame skid plate             GYT-R Nerf bars
GYT-R A-arm guards                           OMI Steering stem mount
GYT-R Aluminum radiator guard            ODI Lock-on grips

Colorado700R

Razr 2 is a great tire, nothing wrong with it.  And probably the toughest tire on the market  :thumbs:

sorry to derail your thread  :(

Headrope

No apologies necessary. I understood what everyone was getting at.

I just wanted to clarify that I'm more of a butt-ometer rider than a dynometer one. ATV tires are ridiculously overpriced and this will be my first time deviating from "stock" so I have to make sure I do the right thing the first time.
Two '06 700R SEs

Both with:                                          One also with:                   
GYT-R Sport front grab bar                   GYT-R Swingarm guard
GYT-R Engine/frame skid plate             GYT-R Nerf bars
GYT-R A-arm guards                           OMI Steering stem mount
GYT-R Aluminum radiator guard            ODI Lock-on grips