Just painted a LOT of stuff on my quad BLACK..what do you think? *NOW WITH PICS!

Started by r00st, December 02, 2008, 08:35:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r00st

Well I love everything blacked out so I have been adding a lot of black parts to my quad. I will have pics of that stuff soon (once its all done and back together) but here are the parts I took off to paint:

- Headlights & Tailight I used VHT "Niteshades" tint. I did two light coats so they still transmit light (no point in having them if they dont work!)
- Wheel guards...they were there so they got the black treatment
- Radiator... I saw one other person on the forum did this so I snagged the idea
- & The barkers! I masked off the red labels as I still wanted them red. I did everything in Duplicolor Header paint. I had used VHT Header paint first but it was a complete matte black, where as the duplicolor is more of a semi-gloss black. I was going to have the cans PC'd but for 60 bucks I just thought I would rather just use the paint... I also considered ceramic coating the headers but thats 170-250+ My total investment was a few hours time, some tape and a couple of cans of paint.

So far I left the barker tips x2 the heat shields x4 and the straps x2 natural aluminum. I am thinking they might get the black treatment too so its ALL blacked out.

I am VERY pleased with how all of it turned out! I cant wait to get the quad back together. Should look pretty menacing :)

Let me know what you guys think!!! I am really happy how it all looks. Plus my GF has big boobs..so life is good! :woot:

-Mike
2007 Raptor 700 SE
With some SHTUFF

Warren

:( USED TO HAVE:
07 700R raptor SE (black & orange)
DG nerf bars (black, thanks bmust)
custom engine skid, and A-arm gaurds (Thanks bmust)
custom made grab bar & fender mounts (black)
tusk billet gas cap (black)
OMI stem mount
razr2's
Barkers (black)
PCIII
FCI with box
+3 TB

Krandall

prove it w/ the girlfriend.  :lol: :lol:

jk, I would leave the straps and heat shields, it gives everything some definition and contrast.  :thumbs: that all turned out very good though!!! 8)

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

MrStevie

wow, that came out great, can't wait to see it all on the quad. what color are your plastics and frame? i have thegrey with red frame and have been thinking about going all black wih the red frame.
'08 Raptor 700r

r00st

Thanks guys I am stoked to put it all together. I bought it as a stock 2007 SE but have added a LOT of stuff to it. Its orange and black plastics with silver frame (wish it was black...thanks yamaha for that!) but I am adding a lot of black stuff, both the stuff I painted and aftermarket.

I should have everything buttoned back up in the next 7-10 days so I will get some pics then :)

& Krandall...maybe some day :) I will see if I can do some convincing!

As far as the heat shields/straps and tips I think im going to leave them silver for the rebuild and see how it all looks. They are obviously easy to remove parts so I can paint them later if I see the need.

For the tips... My plan is to leave the whole thing silver but hand paint (brush) the little milled out areas (there are like 6 of them I think around each tip)...should look good! Plus the tips are CNC'd so I dont really want to cover them up completely.

2007 Raptor 700 SE
With some SHTUFF

Krandall

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

socalrappy700

Great work Mike.  Can't wait to see it all on the quad.  And to see how the paint holds up on the headers.
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Flynbyu

Did you use the high temp paint like people paint car headers with?

~Brian
2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum

socalrappy700

Quote from: Flynbyu on December 03, 2008, 07:56:06 AM
Did you use the high temp paint like people paint car headers with?

~Brian

In his post he said he used Duplicolor Header paint, I wonder how that holds up.
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

r00st

Thanks Erich. I am more than pleased how it turned out. And my taping skillz were not too bad on the labels!

As far as taking it down to the frame...wish I had the ambition. Now would actually be the time to do it since its half apart anyway. BUT... might do it next winter when the motor gets "freshened up" :)

But ya it is the high temp header paint from duplicolor. The rating on duplicolors can is "1200*" where as VHT's (what i used for the base coat on everything) is (1200-2000*). I am 99% sure the cans will hold up, but worse case scenario if it burns up on the headers I will just clean them up and respray with the VHT 1200-2000 stuff so I know it will last.

I just really prefer the "semi-gloss" black of this duplicolor stuff to the complete FLAT/Matte black of the VHT.

2007 Raptor 700 SE
With some SHTUFF

socalrappy700

I agree, if there was a way I could get my headers gloss black I would be all over it. 

On a side note, you should come up with Jake when we pull my engine.  We'll have plenty of pizza.
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

r00st

Thanks for the offer. But shit...I owe Jake for him storing/helping with my teardown and install of parts.

Guess Jake and I will just need to order a SHIT TON of pizza...lol.

I would like to come when he goes...we will have to see what time of the month it is (that sounds weird..lol). But I cant do much better than eye-balling my front end so maybe you can throw us some tips on getting the houser/motowoz combo dialed in.
2007 Raptor 700 SE
With some SHTUFF

socalrappy700

Quote from: r00st on December 03, 2008, 08:08:28 AM
Thanks for the offer. But shit...I owe Jake for him storing/helping with my teardown and install of parts.

Guess Jake and I will just need to order a SHIT TON of pizza...lol.

I would like to come when he goes...we will have to see what time of the month it is (that sounds weird..lol). But I cant do much better than eye-balling my front end so maybe you can throw us some tips on getting the houser/motowoz combo dialed in.

Jake wanted me to dial his in too so just bring the both of your quads up and we'll get it take care of.
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Krandall

Yeah, I don't think there's a way to get a gloss look on headers. I know even polished pipes on hot rods dull after the heat. Ive been tempted to take the header paint to mine... we'll see.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

socalrappy700

I wonder what would hold up better, that paint or the ceramic.
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum