Head Porting Dilemma!

Started by Buck, November 16, 2008, 01:12:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buck

Alright guys Im takin this to the streets! I have been tossing it around for the last few weeks and I don't know what to do. Bo has a deal going on right now on his port work that is really hard to pass up! But I really really want a CNC head. My only thoughts are that I ride about 70% trails 30% dunes...and 90% of the time I'm riding every time (sorry the statistics took me on an Anchorman tangent  :lol:). Would the CNC head really be worth the coin I would have to drop on it? I want big power but I also want rideability on the trails. I'm trying to tell myself that I want to do it right the first time, but at the same time I'm afraid if I get too deep into the HP then I will lose a lot of rideability in the trails. I currently have 60 HP with 7 mods, the only thing I have left that I really want is the P&P...And if I could get in the upper 60s I would be happy...If I had hair I would be ripping it out right now! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Bo your input is welcome too, I would like to hear your take on it as well.  :thumbs:
Cheap, Fast, Reliable. unfortunately you can only have 2 at the same time

socalrappy700

Bo does great work no doubt but those cnc heads are putting up big numbers.  Myself I would recommend going with a cnc head from RE, Barker, or Kenny.
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

jwraptor

I believe there was a gain of 5-6 hp over the hand port.  You have to ask your self is it worth it for the extra coin.  If your not an all out racer I don't think it's worth it for the money.  just my .02. 

digitalhearing

my opinion is: go big now or you will regret it down the road.  If you get a CNC head port you won't have to redo it later.  It is one of the most reliable ways to get bigger power and the price isn't too much more.  After all, that's why you are spending all the time to remove your head and having it redone right?  This is with all due respect to Bo,  He does a great Job and is one of the most helpful and honest guys that we have looking out for us !

Grant
This Forum Rocks !

preddy08

Unless you are running a big cam and big compression you wont really see all the benifits of the big CNC porting. The big porting also come with a small lose down low to gain bigger results on the top end. Unless you want EVERY little bit of power with no expenses spaired, then I would do a CNC.

If you were a drag racer then with out a doubt I would do a CNC, but being a all around rider I would save the money and put it eles where. Bo's work is really hard to beat. Dont forget even Kenz, Kenny, and KBR all say that Bo does really good work.
Just a little 81hp trail bike.

Buck

I really appreciate the input guys. Im not going to up the compression. Im happy with the 11:1 and being able to use pump gas. If anything I would only upgrade to one of Kenny's true comp pistons, but that wouldnt be until later. I'm still at the point that I want to do it right the first time, not that Bo doesn't do it right, I just don't want to pay to have him do it then realize I want more later. And for getting the "full" potential out of the CNC head Im not worried about. Im not too worried about that as long as I can get my HP up into the high 60s which I'm confident a CNC head can do where as Im not sure how much HP bos port will get me with stock valves. Keep in mind here guys I am debating on keeping the Stage 2 cam in there for now . I was talking to Barker and he told me he thought I could still get into the upper 60s HP wise with my piston and Cam with one of his CNC heads. And still have room for improvement in the future by adding a bigger cam IF I want. I just don't want to lose rideability thats my biggest concern as I do quite a bit of trails and hill climbs etc.  But I also love to be able to put the smack down at Sand Mt. I just dont want to have to be revving it all the time to get it to do what I want you know.

digitalhearing

Sounds like you will make the right choice.  It's always good to get other peoples perspecitve  ;)

Grant
This Forum Rocks !

VelociRaptor

It varies on the build, the more ragged edge the build the more difference the Track port would be compared to a CNC big valve port.

Tim Barker

Quote from: preddy08 on November 16, 2008, 11:00:01 AM
Unless you are running a big cam and big compression you wont really see all the benifits of the big CNC porting. The big porting also come with a small lose down low to gain bigger results on the top end. Unless you want EVERY little bit of power with no expenses spaired, then I would do a CNC.

If you were a drag racer then with out a doubt I would do a CNC, but being a all around rider I would save the money and put it eles where. Bo's work is really hard to beat. Dont forget even Kenz, Kenny, and KBR all say that Bo does really good work.

Preddy i have to disagree with you. If the porting is done right you will gain power and torque everywhere not just on the top end.

Barkers Performance
www.barkersexhaust.com

Buck

Quote from: VelociRaptor on November 16, 2008, 06:46:38 PM
It varies on the build, the more ragged edge the build the more difference the Track port would be compared to a CNC big valve port.
What do you mean by ragged edge?

preddy08

Quote from: tbarker on November 16, 2008, 06:50:41 PM

Preddy i have to disagree with you. If the porting is done right you will gain power and torque everywhere not just on the top end.

Tim, care to explain a bit more? I was always under the assumption that if you go with BIG porting with out supporting mods you will loose bottom end?
Just a little 81hp trail bike.

Krandall

An old wise one was talking to me about porting a while back. "Hogging out everything (valves, intake, exhaust ect..) isn't always a good thing"

And although I'm sure there are benefits of CNC'd porting for a smaller build, I think where it'd shine more is the bigger builds. Although gains would still be there for the smaller builds it's not up to its full potential.

I think flow tests are cool on heads, but just because so and so's flows 10CFM more.. Doesn't mean its going to run better or make more horse power. In my personal opinion. Not at all discrediting those who have done their time on the motors. But I don't think there's enough out there to say this head is better for this application. Especially for those of us who hang out in the woods.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Buck

Its looking like I may be able to work a deal with a member that will kind of be a happy medium for me...we'll see.

Tim Barker

Quote from: preddy08 on November 16, 2008, 10:40:45 PM
Quote from: tbarker on November 16, 2008, 06:50:41 PM

Tim, care to explain a bit more? I was always under the assumption that if you go with BIG porting with out supporting mods you will loose bottom end?

If you have the velocity correct for the amount of airflow going thru the head you will not lose any bottom end you should gain some everywhere instead. You do have to take into consideration the cam you use though the more duration that it has will affect the power curve but there are ways to compensate for that also.  can't just assume that if you go Big you will lose somewhere.

Barkers Performance
www.barkersexhaust.com

theshee

racers edge port work all the way...

amazing customer service, and amazing work...

4mil, K&T drag ported banshee, 1-5 duneable overide, CPI Inframes, +6 swinger, JJ&A Drag Axle- Just a slow Hillshooter
2009 RZR-S, Baja Front Bumper, 3500lb Winch, and full cooler of beer in the back!
2008 Yamaha Grizzly 700- All stock with some 26" Mudders!
2005 Polaris RMK 700, Piped and Ported!!