Head Porting Dilemma!

Started by Buck, November 16, 2008, 01:12:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troy

what he said :thumbs:  I had my head ported and it did good, then I went to a Racer's Edge head and it's a whole new animal, it performs better everywhere and the top end is very nice.

Buck

thanks for the input guys. I will definitely keep it all in mind when it comes down to biting the bullet.  :clap:
Cheap, Fast, Reliable. unfortunately you can only have 2 at the same time

Troy

I'd say you really can't lose by going with Bo's head now, it's a great performer for cheap.  If you decide down the road you want more then you can go cnc and bigger valves.  I don't really regret getting a cheap port job first, it did great at the time and I was happy.  And I was just as happy when I upgraded to a cnc.  Yeah you are spending money twice but I've been doing that on everything so far, as soon as I'd buy what was the best, something better comes along and eventually I upgraded, that's the game we are all playing.

Peelz

Quote from: troywcc on November 19, 2008, 07:51:17 PM
I'd say you really can't lose by going with Bo's head now, it's a great performer for cheap.  If you decide down the road you want more then you can go cnc and bigger valves.  I don't really regret getting a cheap port job first, it did great at the time and I was happy.  And I was just as happy when I upgraded to a cnc.  Yeah you are spending money twice but I've been doing that on everything so far, as soon as I'd buy what was the best, something better comes along and eventually I upgraded, that's the game we are all playing.

Well Said! :lol:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Buck

Quote from: troywcc on November 19, 2008, 07:51:17 PM
Bos porting it will be soon, but if I decide to go with a CNC it will probably wait until tax return time.

perhamite

What are the costs for the different port jobs? Also does anyone have the dyno charts to show the differences?
O8 Raptor 700
with some stuff

Buck

Quote from: perhamite on November 20, 2008, 07:46:56 PM
What are the costs for the different port jobs? Also does anyone have the dyno charts to show the differences?

Bo is running a special right now on his porting for $250 until the end of the year (great deal) and a new CNC head is gonna cost around $500 plus cost of valves, and springs if u get better springs, that will up the price real quick to around $800. But Bo's porting uses stock valves so you pay $250 then throw it back on the bike. But the CNC heads are putting some serious power to the wheels.

Kenny

Quote from: perhamite on November 20, 2008, 07:46:56 PM
Bo has a good head that will run $250. A CNC head with valves, which are required, will run $640 without springs. There is a big disparity in price and the performance between them. This isn't really an apples-to-apples comparison. The thing that really throws this out of whack is that all CNC heads are not created equal, so I can only speak for the heads that I sell.

As far as I know, I am the only one to have a dyno test published that is a head change only. This head was tested on the same dyno, same day without being unstrapped from the dyno. Even though this is a big engine, the cam and intake were a big restriction for the bigger head. The ported head that was on it was already a very good performing head.

As you can see, on an 869 there is a 5.75 hp gain at peak power. With a larger intake, there was a 15hp gain at 8200 RPM. With a larger cam and TB, or if the hand ported head had been stock valved, the differences would have been even greater. We will have a head only test next week on a stock bore stroke engine that is equipped with a Hotcam 3, +3 TB, 11:1 piston, and duals. Then another with drag pipes, KDS "RJ" cam, 12.5:1, +3 TB, ignition, and FCI intake. Both will be compared against the stock head.:thumbs:
KDS Racing
685 Hope Rd
Floyd VA 24091
NEW PHONE 540-818-9154
Paypal: kenny@swva.net

:satan:

Peelz

:jaw:

wow. I worried about the difference between 42 and 45 hp when considering my lil' mods.  :lol: :help:

Hats off to ya' bro!
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Buck

there may be another contender in the CNC head game soon as well. I may be looing into that as well  :batman: