700 vs. 450

Started by monster757, November 07, 2008, 10:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monster757

So I hear all these kids talkin smack about how a YFZ450 can spank my raptor. None of them have showed up to race me yet tho? I rode a few yfz's and they are damn quick. But so is my rappy. They have 100 and some pounds less,  plus higher compression and a race tuned motor. I would probably imagine they'd win. But in the long run i do because they have to rebuild every other year and i dont :)

Have any of you raced a YFZ? If so post the results please.

PIPO

I have a basically stock yfz and it does pretty good until them 700 shift to 4th gear  :'(. Mod for mod on the raptor is faster...the 450 can be quick in short distances though.
D727r

Krandall

I've been both ways.

You can build some DAMN quick YFZ's and I've seen them @ silver lake in michigan, I've straight up had my ass handed to me.

But like PIPO said.. Mod for mod the raptor will come out on top. I raced a guy that had a 450r bored to a 480. He asked me to race him on a back road near my parents place.. I was like... eh.. Sure. I'm sure your gonna win (was when I had the big 3 only)
We got back there. He said okay, you say go...

3....2.....1.... I got the hole shot (on stock tires mind you vs his gncc's) kept shiftin through the gears, and kept walking away.

feeling pretty good, I said okay, you say go this time, I think I had an advantage. so he counts down.. 3...2.....1.... He got about a 1/2 bike length on the start but I just hammered through the gears and walked away. :)

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Mad Dog

Setup and weight are the key.  On a good launch my 660 can beat a large chunk of those yfz's Krandall was referring to from Silver Lake, but my fat arse combined with a quad covered in bolt on parts and the world's laziest mechanic setting up the tires, gearing and suspension (me) puts me at a severe disadvantage.

Don't take the yfz's or other 450's lightly, they can and will whip you one day.  Some of them probably don't see you as a threat, and don't care to race.

As for rebuilding, an internally stock yfz or other 450 will last years on the same piston for most recreational and dune riders.  The problem is that few are happy with OEM power and once you start upgrading components it's a slippery slope for reliability.  Heck my 660 only made 3 dune trips all year and only ran for about 4 hours.  The more power you make the shorter your parts will last.

Bert

Practice your starts often as conditions change & get a feel for limiting wheel spin on the start  :thumbs:

monster757

So i'm racing a TRX450R today through the woods and on a drag. The 450 is stock so he wants me to let him have a 1 mississippi headstart because i have a K&N filter. Wow big whoop. But i'll let you guys know how it turns out  8)

Mad Dog

Quote from: monster757 on November 08, 2008, 11:19:33 AM
So i'm racing a TRX450R today through the woods and on a drag. The 450 is stock so he wants me to let him have a 1 mississippi headstart because i have a K&N filter. Wow big whoop. But i'll let you guys know how it turns out  8)

Tell him if he's not going to race heads up like a real man he can go to the track with all of the rest of the bracket racers.

monster757

Well i completely killed him on a trail that i've never been on, he got through it in 5:37.2 and i did it in 4:53.4 :clap: But he said he had to go home because his mom called him. :P So i didn't get to do the drag  :lol:

Peelz

Quote from: monster757 on November 07, 2008, 10:37:37 PM
So I hear all these kids talkin smack about how a YFZ450 can spank my raptor. None of them have showed up to race me yet tho? I rode a few yfz's and they are damn quick. But so is my rappy. They have 100 and some pounds less,  plus higher compression and a race tuned motor. I would probably imagine they'd win. But in the long run i do because they have to rebuild every other year and i dont :)

Have any of you raced a YFZ? If so post the results please.

+1 Race over!

what up now, Kyle?  ;)

Beaten handily on my 660 by a 3 mod 450.  :lol: Though, I was catching up towards the end :lol:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Warren

i have raced a few YFZ's not straight up we were in a group of about 4-5 quads. this has happened twice once i was at the badlands in attica IN and the other was up at silver lake in MI. well at the badlands they walked all over me. this was just shortly after i got my raptor and i hadn't practiced for the holeshots or anything. so they got me out of the hole everytime and i didn't catch up due to the fact they were throwing roost up like mad so i backed off the gas. well up at silver lake their were 2 guys that had YFZ's that raced me and jake(dabigbratj) i beat one of them everytime but the other one was pretty quick. i don't know what any of these guys had in their quads other than the obvious exhausts. i would assume that they all had at least the big 3 done.
:( USED TO HAVE:
07 700R raptor SE (black & orange)
DG nerf bars (black, thanks bmust)
custom engine skid, and A-arm gaurds (Thanks bmust)
custom made grab bar & fender mounts (black)
tusk billet gas cap (black)
OMI stem mount
razr2's
Barkers (black)
PCIII
FCI with box
+3 TB

Krandall

Quote from: warren on November 08, 2008, 01:28:57 PM
and i didn't catch up due to the fact they were throwing roost up like mad so i backed off the gas.

Boy, I know what that's like.. Try following mad dog @ silver lake on the drag strip. I've had to back off from him due to sand being embedded into my skin :help: ::) ::) ::)

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Colorado700R

Quote from: Krandall on November 08, 2008, 01:41:04 PM
and i didn't catch up due to the fact they were throwing roost up like mad so i backed off the gas.

Boy, I know what that's like.. Try following mad dog @ silver lake on the drag strip. I've had to back off from him due to sand being embedded into my skin :help: ::) ::) ::)

Meow

RaptorRandy

Quote from: Colorado700R on November 08, 2008, 05:28:02 PM

Meow

:lol:

07 Aljo 199LTD toy box
99 F250 PSD

Trust in the LORD with all your heart,
And lean not on your own understanding;
In all your ways acknowledge him,
And He shall direct your paths.

fireman5166

I raced a yfz 450 up the hill at sand mountain. It had a pipe and k&n. It was quick but I got him about mid hill and left him eating my roost. they are fast but a raptor can take them in the sand.  :thumbs:
07 Raptor 700
pcIII
hot cams III
barker duals
rocket factory intake w/K&N
Dynatek programmable  Ignition
Iridium Plug
evac valve
renthal bars
asv
ac nerfs
fuel atv bumber
kenda gnarlys
Itp sand stars
22" haulers 8 paddles
12,13,14,15, tooth front sprockets
38,40, rear sprockets

Warren

yeah i ended up behind matt one time up there on the drag strip. it sucks getting sand blasted from 14 paddles worth of sand
:( USED TO HAVE:
07 700R raptor SE (black & orange)
DG nerf bars (black, thanks bmust)
custom engine skid, and A-arm gaurds (Thanks bmust)
custom made grab bar & fender mounts (black)
tusk billet gas cap (black)
OMI stem mount
razr2's
Barkers (black)
PCIII
FCI with box
+3 TB