Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Thumb throttle woes  (Read 5414 times)

Offline Gunz

• My body is your wonderland
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 36
    • Dent Source
Thumb throttle woes
« on: August 24, 2008, 11:25:52 AM »
I put about 6 hard dune hours on my raptor yesterday. After a few hours I started getting fatigue in my right wrist. I noticed I was stretching my thumb past the end of the thumb throttle down midway of the throttle onto the flat bar portion of it. (Hope I made sense of the discription) This is the first bike I've had that I have ever done this with. The throttle is almost to long and to far outward for comfort. I have a kfx400 and it is great, my brothers kfx700, outlaw, and blaster are all normal to me. Is it just me or what? Anybody have the same problem and if so what did you do to make your throttle more comfortable? Theres got to be a bike I can change throttles with to fix this madness. :'(

Dent Source LLC

941 +10 w/bar

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
Re: Thumb throttle woes
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 12:26:30 PM »
Hell, I logged over twenty hours of duning when I was down there. Wrist hurt from hanging on while controlling throttle. I ended up rotating throttle towards me, or thumb lever towards the front. It helped a little.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline BADRAP08

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 1
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 02:08:37 PM »
ive read that the hondas trx450r thumb throttle is alot better, (dont ask me how :confused:) my bother actually has one he changed it out for a twist throttle. if you want it im sure he would be willing to sell it to you :thumbs:   
08 700R SE

Offline kyledvor61

• Mini Mini Ho
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 17
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 04:17:47 PM »
try rotating it like peels said, that may help fatigue

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 04:44:56 PM »
ive read that the hondas trx450r thumb throttle is alot better, (dont ask me how :confused:) my bother actually has one he changed it out for a twist throttle. if you want it im sure he would be willing to sell it to you :thumbs:   

I have heard that too
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline exentix

• Street Cred: 3
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 05:23:20 PM »
your saying you put your thumb closer to the middle of the quad instead of on the very end of the throttle?

if thats what you mean i do the same exact thing   ???   i dont know why though

Offline russ-russ

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 10
  • I am Epic Win.
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 07:13:47 PM »
I run a honda thumb throttle, much better than the yamaha piece.  Just picked one up for the wifey too.  You can use practicly any honda thumb throttle, the utes also use the same throttle.  I think mine came from a rancher.

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 07:50:31 PM »
I run a honda thumb throttle, much better than the yamaha piece.  Just picked one up for the wifey too.  You can use practicly any honda thumb throttle, the utes also use the same throttle.  I think mine came from a rancher.

Anything I should know before doing this mod?  My Dad has a rancher, I need to ninja that beyotch off of there and swap. :rofl:

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 07:52:24 PM »
ANY honda throttle works? ???

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline kyledvor61

• Mini Mini Ho
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 17
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 08:01:51 PM »
i know whats popular on the yfz's is to take a throttle spring from a 450r and use that instead, its alot easier. also commonly used is a trx90 lever. look it up on yfzcentral.com if ya want

Offline russ-russ

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 10
  • I am Epic Win.
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 09:17:27 PM »
+1 on what kyle said.  Krandall, I won't say any honda throttle, but many honda thumbers will work.  One plus of getting one from a ute, most of the utes thumbers don't say honda on top, while most TRX thumbers do.  Otherwise the honda thumber is a direct swap, you will have to play with the cable adjustment a little, but that's it.

Offline air

• Street Cred: 4
    • The Utah ATV Association
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 09:42:28 PM »
A 400ex has about the best leverage advantage.
Rusty

Offline BADRAP08

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 1
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2008, 11:50:24 PM »

Anything I should know before doing this mod?  My Dad has a rancher, I need to ninja that beyotch off of there and swap. :rofl:
[/quote]

:rofl: :rofl:  thats funny!   :thumbs:
08 700R SE

Offline Sandeater

• Street Cred: 3
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 06:36:01 AM »
Ahh take it off and put on a twist!  It takes a little bit getting used to at first.  Just keep your wrist flat (just like being a ninja when you punch something  :nun:) and keep it stiff when you make turns; don't let your wrist bend down because it will give it gas when making right turns.  Keep two fingers on your clutch at all times just in case you do catch some throttle  :thumbs:

I've rode twist for years and its the most comfortable and I've never wrecked due to hitting the throttle.  Its A LOT more comfortable for cruising around the dunes for hours.  I wouldn't put one on a 2 stroke but I would on a Raptor!  They do have the dual gassers, thumb and twist in one unit, that you could try out.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 06:37:40 AM by Sandeater »
My Sand Only Queen
Currently being rebuilt
2006 RE 778
Slingshot Lockup
+6 SLC Ladder Swingarm
Paint by JK Customs

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2008, 08:28:16 AM »
Ahh take it off and put on a twist!  It takes a little bit getting used to at first.  Just keep your wrist flat (just like being a ninja when you punch something  :nun:) and keep it stiff when you make turns; don't let your wrist bend down because it will give it gas when making right turns.  Keep two fingers on your clutch at all times just in case you do catch some throttle  :thumbs:

I've rode twist for years and its the most comfortable and I've never wrecked due to hitting the throttle.  Its A LOT more comfortable for cruising around the dunes for hours.  I wouldn't put one on a 2 stroke but I would on a Raptor!  They do have the dual gassers, thumb and twist in one unit, that you could try out.

I rode a Rappy on the ice with twist. Not so nice. It would def. be a learning curve. Everywhere I ride is really rough. WOuldn't mind it for the dunes. :thumbs: