How much does a GYTR pipe affect it w/o a fuel commander?

Started by Livingmylife93, July 16, 2008, 08:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Livingmylife93

Quote from: preddy08 on July 17, 2008, 07:48:55 AM
I will go out on a limb and say you will be fine. If you have the airbox lid PUT IT ON. You are on the borderline of being harmful to the motor.

There are 1,000's of people doing just what you are doing, and you dont hear of people blowing up the motor. Plus look at the guy who had it before you, pipe, filter, and no controller..................so far your quad is running.

But you SHOULD get one ASAP!

Ok thanks, that makes me feel better. Now my next question, im not aloud to spend any money on mods for this things until i pay it off (says my dad) , but my tires suck, bad, like real bad, they are almost bald stockers. I could either ask for a fuel commander or tires for my birthday (august 14). What do you think?

If i ask for the fuel commander he'll probably still let me get tires cause he understands that they are something needed and not really a mod lol..

kyledvor61

exactly the last sentence, ask for a PCIII and then he should understand about the tires. you could steal em off your 350 like I did :clap:

Bert

Quote from: Livingmylife93 on July 17, 2008, 09:13:41 PM
I will go out on a limb and say you will be fine. If you have the airbox lid PUT IT ON. You are on the borderline of being harmful to the motor.

There are 1,000's of people doing just what you are doing, and you dont hear of people blowing up the motor. Plus look at the guy who had it before you, pipe, filter, and no controller..................so far your quad is running.

Can you borrow a machine to groove or sipp(sp) your tires?

Ok thanks, that makes me feel better. Now my next question, im not aloud to spend any money on mods for this things until i pay it off (says my dad) , but my tires suck, bad, like real bad, they are almost bald stockers. I could either ask for a fuel commander or tires for my birthday (august 14). What do you think?

If i ask for the fuel commander he'll probably still let me get tires cause he understands that they are something needed and not really a mod lol..

Livingmylife93

Quote from: Bert on July 17, 2008, 10:33:17 PM

No  :(

Quote from: kyledvor61 on July 17, 2008, 10:18:59 PM
exactly the last sentence, ask for a PCIII and then he should understand about the tires. you could steal em off your 350 like I did :clap:

The ones on the 350 are worse...

Bert

Well if your tires are limiting you on hillclimbs or trails that really sucks.
But if you can get around still then its all about drifting  :thumbs:

kyledvor61

Quote from: Livingmylife93 on July 17, 2008, 10:54:33 PM
Quote from: Bert on July 17, 2008, 10:33:17 PM

No  :(

Quote from: kyledvor61 on July 17, 2008, 10:18:59 PM

The ones on the 350 are worse...

damn.

mine were brand new hd's :grin_nod:

Livingmylife93

Quote from: Bert on July 17, 2008, 10:56:50 PM

:lol: yep

Ill probably get razr 2's.
But i just read on the "other fourm" that i can just bring it to the dealer and they can just make it less lean w/o me having to buy a commander somehow. They cant do it for big mods, but all i have is a pipe, so i should be good?

kyledvor61

Quote from: Livingmylife93 on July 17, 2008, 10:59:18 PM

But i just read on the "other fourm" that i can just bring it to the dealer and they can just make it less lean w/o me having to buy a commander somehow. They cant do it for big mods, but all i have is a pipe, so i should be good?

i dont know how the hell they would do it ??? ???

Bert

I have no experience with the dealer flashing your ECU?
I read about it also & someone had said that if your battery goes dead then it needs to be flashed again.  I would treat that as an extremely short fix until getting a PCIII.  Check with  Jaime @ FuelMoto.com for a PCIII

Livingmylife93

Quote from: Bert on July 17, 2008, 11:02:54 PM

I read about it also & someone had said that if your battery goes dead then it needs to be flashed again.  I would treat that as an extremely short fix until getting a PCIII.  Check with  Jaime @ FuelMoto.com for a PCIII

Yea thats what i heard, but its better than nothing. lol

Bert

Your B-day is gettin closer & props to your pops  :thumbs:

Headrope

Quote from: Livingmylife93 on July 17, 2008, 11:06:43 PM

The running-mods-without-an-aftermarket-fuel-controller-discussion is the great debate when it comes to the Raptor 700. I have an opinion on it but rather than just posting information that could potentially harm someone's quad I decided to contact Yamaha Sport Customer Relations and ask them. Attached is a transcript I typed while I was on the phone:

Me: "Is an aftermarket fuel controller required to prevent a lean air/fuel condition on a Raptor 700 that is stock other than a GYT-R slip on muffler?

Yamaha customer service tech: "Using an aftermarket fuel controller is not recommended."

Q: "Why is it not recommended?"

A: "Yamaha does not recommend using aftermarket parts on Yamaha products."

Q: "OK. Yamaha does not recommend using aftermarket parts. Will adding a GYT-R slip on muffler create a lean air/fuel mixture requiring me to figure out a way to compensate for it using Yamaha parts?

A: "The factory fuel controller will be able to handle it."

Q: "I've read that dealerships can perform some sort of flash reprogramming to the fuel controller that will adjust the lean air/fuel condition created by adding GYT-R mods. Why would that be necessary if the factory fuel controller is able to handle factory modifications?

A: "I've never heard of authorized flash reprogramming of fuel controllers."

So there you go. My take on it: If you stick with GYT-R parts you do not need a different fuel controller. GYT-R (Yamaha) sells all sorts of mods that can change the air/fuel ratios (intake, various air filters, pipes, slip ons, quiet tips, etc.). It does not sell a different fuel controller. There is a reason for that.

Two '06 700R SEs

Both with:                                          One also with:                   
GYT-R Sport front grab bar                   GYT-R Swingarm guard
GYT-R Engine/frame skid plate             GYT-R Nerf bars
GYT-R A-arm guards                           OMI Steering stem mount
GYT-R Aluminum radiator guard            ODI Lock-on grips

Livingmylife93

Quote from: Headrope on July 18, 2008, 12:05:00 PM

The running-mods-without-an-aftermarket-fuel-controller-discussion is the great debate when it comes to the Raptor 700. I have an opinion on it but rather than just posting information that could potentially harm someone's quad I decided to contact Yamaha Sport Customer Relations and ask them. Attached is a transcript I typed while I was on the phone:

Me: "Is an aftermarket fuel controller required to prevent a lean air/fuel condition on a Raptor 700 that is stock other than a GYT-R slip on muffler?

Yamaha customer service tech: "Using an aftermarket fuel controller is not recommended."

Q: "OK. Yamaha does not recommend using aftermarket parts. Will adding a GYT-R slip on muffler create a lean air/fuel mixture requiring me to figure out a way to compensate for it using Yamaha parts?

Q: "I've read that dealerships can perform some sort of flash reprogramming to the fuel controller that will adjust the lean air/fuel condition created by adding GYT-R mods. Why would that be necessary if the factory fuel controller is able to handle factory modifications?

So there you go. My take on it: If you stick with GYT-R parts you do not need a different fuel controller. GYT-R (Yamaha) sells all sorts of mods that can change the air/fuel ratios (intake, various air filters, pipes, slip ons, quiet tips, etc.). It does not sell a different fuel controller. There is a reason for that.

Wow, cool, thanks alot man.

Somebody give him some karma or something!

PDX Raptor

Quote from: Headrope on July 18, 2008, 12:05:00 PM

Sorry But I call BS on this one. Yamaha reps are trained to say that crap for warranty reasons. I had a problem with my intake boot and they tried to say I was not covered because I had a PCIII. I asked them many of the same questions you did. When they told me the ECU could handle the changes.....I asked them how does it "handle" the changes without an O2 sensor. Answer I don't know sir. Also asked them why the sell aftermarket parts that would require me to buy an EFI or damage my quad. Answer I don't know sir. Finally asked them how they came to the conclusion that my PCIII damaged my intake boot? Answer......thats right I don't know sir. After that a manger got on the phone admitted you should have an EFI with any MODs.... GYTR or other and said Yamaha would honor the warranty. I don't think they want to get in the EFI game because than they would have to honor alot more warranty claims.

Charlie

Headrope

Call BS all you want. It's what I was told. And makes sense to me.

But, please, by all means: go with your own theories as I'm not all-knowing, and don't pretend to be. I'm just quoting the source. My source was this:

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/contactus/home.aspx

Sport Contact Us

Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA
6555 Katella Avenue
Cypress, CA 90630

Sales, marketing and distribution of Motorcycles, ATVs, Snowmobiles and Race Kart Engines.

Customer Relations
(800) 962-7926
Two '06 700R SEs

Both with:                                          One also with:                   
GYT-R Sport front grab bar                   GYT-R Swingarm guard
GYT-R Engine/frame skid plate             GYT-R Nerf bars
GYT-R A-arm guards                           OMI Steering stem mount
GYT-R Aluminum radiator guard            ODI Lock-on grips