Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Just FYI for you guys who ride higher altitudes  (Read 9458 times)

Offline NaturalRaptor

• Potato King
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 8
    • Email
Re: Just FYI for you guys who ride higher altitudes
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2008, 09:17:54 AM »
I read else where that the dynatek actually made some Kenz builds lose power.  How is that possible?

Aaron

That really sucks!  :(
It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.

Offline Kenny

• Engine Guru
  • VIP
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2008, 09:23:33 AM »
I read else where that the dynatek actually made some Kenz builds lose power.  How is that possible?

Aaron

It not only sucks.....It's not true.....RaptorRandy put one on his quad, and it made that bitch scream!
KDS Racing
685 Hope Rd
Floyd VA 24091
NEW PHONE 540-818-9154
Paypal: kenny@swva.net

:satan:

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2008, 09:29:31 AM »

Aaron

It not only sucks.....It's not true.....RaptorRandy put one on his quad, and it made that bitch scream!

That's good to know, I was talking to some of "those" guys yesterday about it.  I guess they didn't have it set-up right or something ???

Offline Kenny

• Engine Guru
  • VIP
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2008, 09:38:47 AM »

Aaron

That's good to know, I was talking to some of "those" guys yesterday about it.  I guess they didn't have it set-up right or something ???
I won't even start a bashing binge. It could have honestly been that they were so close to the limitations of the gas in those tests, that it did hurt power. It is highly unlikely, but stranger things have happened. I'm not sure why they said that. We have probably a hundred dyno sheets floating around on these forums that say different :thumbs:
KDS Racing
685 Hope Rd
Floyd VA 24091
NEW PHONE 540-818-9154

Offline NaturalRaptor

• Potato King
  • VIP
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2008, 09:47:54 AM »
Good to know, thanks!   :thumbs:

I already have a dynatek on a 2 mod so far and it is great!
It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.

Offline russ-russ

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 10
  • I am Epic Win.
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2008, 06:50:18 PM »
Kenny has a good point, try out the Web again and see if the X2 is killing you.  I do remember Bo saying the X2 and X4 needed at least 12:1 on a stock displacement motor before they would work, and I'm sure our altitude only makes that worse.  I'm sure you can pull 12.5:1 on pump gas up here, but the cam swap is quick, easy, and free, so try that first.  :thumbs:

Offline preddy08

• MD's baby momma
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 28
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2008, 07:28:25 PM »
You dont HAVE to have the compression for it to work. Its just that it works better than if you were lower in compression.
Just a little 81hp trail bike.

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2008, 07:29:31 PM »
You dont HAVE to have the compression for it to work. Its just that it works better than if you were lower in compression.

It's free though, other than time.  So why not, got nothing to lose?

Aaron

Offline Sandeater

• Street Cred: 3
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2008, 08:29:05 PM »
I don't have the tools to pull the cam and have no freakin clue how to do it.  I have two people interested in it right now.  I just don't want to run the Web anymore.

Ok, if I am going higher compression, should I do a bigger bore also?  Or keep stock bore?

I'm going to go take a new pic for you Kenny  :thumbs:
My Sand Only Queen
Currently being rebuilt
2006 RE 778
Slingshot Lockup
+6 SLC Ladder Swingarm
Paint by JK Customs

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2008, 08:34:27 PM »
I don't have the tools to pull the cam and have no freakin clue how to do it.  I have two people interested in it right now.  I just don't want to run the Web anymore.

Ok, if I am going higher compression, should I do a bigger bore also?  Or keep stock bore?

I'm going to go take a new pic for you Kenny  :thumbs:

The cam should be easy bro, its a bolt on mod  ???

Offline Sandeater

• Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2008, 11:43:31 PM »
Ok.....maybe I'm STILL another tooth off  :help:  Now, when you are turning the motor counterclockwise and you feel the piston hit bottom and then come up......  As you are turning it and you can hear compression and you turn it really slow, are you supposed to hear the sound of air leaking inside?  is that the decompression working?

Timing mark dead nuts with the mark on the head

Timing mark at flywheel is slightly forward (towards front of the motor)

Heres more of a clear picture

My Sand Only Queen
Currently being rebuilt
2006 RE 778
Slingshot Lockup
+6 SLC Ladder Swingarm
Paint by JK Customs

Offline Kenny

• Engine Guru
  • VIP
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2008, 11:58:13 PM »
Ok.....maybe I'm STILL another tooth off  :help:  Now, when you are turning the motor counterclockwise and you feel the piston hit bottom and then come up......  As you are turning it and you can hear compression and you turn it really slow, are you supposed to hear the sound of air leaking inside?  is that the decompression working?

Timing mark dead nuts with the mark on the head

Timing mark at flywheel is slightly forward (towards front of the motor)

Heres more of a clear picture

I think you are correct. Yes the noise is normal to an extent. I would move the cam another tooth to see if the notches line up better. Go 2 more full revolutions to make sure the timing marks look the same. If they do, move the gear :thumbs:
KDS Racing
685 Hope Rd
Floyd VA 24091
NEW PHONE 540-818-9154

Offline Sandeater

• Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2008, 12:13:10 AM »
Sheesh what a pain....I will mess with it tomorrow night.  Thanks again everyone for your help.  So if I have to advance the gear one more tooth and it lines up better, then I am going to have to get another dyno tune  ::) ::) Aaron Clarke is freakin impossible to get scheduled with and he did my last retune here in June for free after I told him the timing was off when he tuned it in May.
My Sand Only Queen
Currently being rebuilt
2006 RE 778
Slingshot Lockup
+6 SLC Ladder Swingarm
Paint by JK Customs

Offline Troy

• Bear Wrassler
  • Ninjas
  • Street Cred: 11
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2008, 08:01:35 AM »
I may have a 12.5:1 JE available soon :P  I'm with Kenny also, we were talking about that the other day, the Web needs to go back in and see what happens, I think it makes better power on your combo.  That will also tell you if the Kenz head is helping or hurting.  We need to go ride before you do so I can see what the difference is from the stage2 to the stage3 on mine.  As far as being the slow guy in the group, it aint by much, and you're gonna have to drop some cash for every bike length you pick up now, it's not nearly as fun as the huge gains we saw from our stock engines.  At this point you might as well go big bore stroker and get all the goodies if you want to go way faster.  By the way, there's guys up at Walden running the Venom 14:1 piston on 91 pump gas and getting away with it :grin_nod:

Offline preddy08

• MD's baby momma
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 28
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: July 18, 2008, 08:27:08 AM »
KBR runs pump gas with there venom pistons! When I head up to colorado next week I will be running pump gas also.
Just a little 81hp trail bike.