Street legal, which states allow quads on the roads

Started by yamaguy0, May 16, 2012, 12:12:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yamaguy0

I wondered what other states besides South Dakota allow you to ride the roads? Also if there are any crazy rules you need to follow and what you need to do to the quad to make it street legal.  Here we require mirror, horn and factory lights, and must be atleast 250cc.  Only place we cant ride is the interstate.

disco

I know Arizona allows UTV's, quads not so sure.

Neither legal in Texas.
mostly stock with a 12t sprocket of fury

Peelz

Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Colorado700R

Peelz

Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Langford

You can make UTV's street legal here in Michigan with some modifications (Safety glass windshield, bumpers, turn signals, horn, DOT tires, high/low beams, windshield wiper, etc.).  Once you have that stuff on the machine, you have to fill out a form (TR-54), and have a police officer do the inspection to verify all of the criteria is met.  When that's complete, you take the signed form to the secretary of state, where you will get a temporary license plate and they put in the application for a new title, which now classifies it as an "assembled roadster"...which will allow you to drive it on any street, highway, expressway, etc in the state.

As far as quads go, they aren't "street legal" per se, but certain northern counties in the state have allowed ATV's/UTV's to use the side of the road to get around.  You can drive them on certain streets, which are decided by the county and townships (for the most part, most streets are open, but all "US-", "I-", or "M-" highways/interstates are off limits).  You can only drive them during daylight hours, on the outer most lane, and the maximum speed is 25mph.  Certain counties are more strict than others, so you really need to be educated on the area and carry a map if you want to drive down the road on a quad.
'07 powerwheels raptor...with a belt driven twin screw centrifugal turbocharger!  Wait for it, wait for it...!

disco

Not saying its worth it money or effort but I bet you could build your own RZR frame complete with receipts showing purchase of raw materials and swap everything from a real RZR over.  Then go register it as a kit car.  No difference in my eyes from say a Superformance Cobra or other custom frame kit car.

Krandall

me and my bro got pulled over by DNR for riding on the shoulder bastids.. they told us to ride in the ditch.. I look over.. and it's flooded and rutted up from 4x4's... lol,

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Peelz

you can ride on gravel roads here, and secondary paved roads if you have the little orange sign for farming lol neighbor used to go by mom and dad's every day full throttle on his litle utility towing a sprayer.... I so much as pull out into the road, a sheriff pulls me over :lol:

can only drive on paved road otherwise, if you are crossing at 90 degree angle

weird.

Krandall

I bet you cant ride on gravel, but they just don't care. That's what it is here.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Peelz

Quote from: Krandall on May 18, 2012, 02:16:47 PM
I bet you cant ride on gravel, but they just don't care. That's what it is here.

yeah probably lol

disco

Heard sirens one time so I go outside and there's two rednecks on a 4x4 ATV running from the cops going down my street.  I'm thinking if I was the cop they may have gotten a love tap from my bumper.  They ended up going down a driveway and into the woods.

denver dude

We cannot ride on the interstate here in Wyoming, other than that  :thumbs:
Racers Edge 777 Raptor  "YETTI"
2003 Kawasaki Lakota 300
BAD ASS 400ex

Don't let your battleship mouth override your rowboat ass.

Peelz

Quote from: denver dude on May 25, 2012, 08:44:13 PM
We cannot ride on the interstate here in Wyoming, other than that  :thumbs:

And we hate you for it.  :lol:

denver dude

Racers Edge 777 Raptor  "YETTI"
2003 Kawasaki Lakota 300
BAD ASS 400ex

Don't let your battleship mouth override your rowboat ass.