DIY LED lighting

Started by Peelz, January 06, 2012, 11:47:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firemann32

Well shit they wanted to charge us $15 for shipping when we needed to order some heat shrink for the fire dept.......

I'm looking at just buying the 50" roll cause I need to do at least 2 flags and maybe a third, then I thought I might just do two more and either sell them or trade them.......

Nick

yeah fireman i was thinking the same thing. Only reason I didn't get the 50ft right now is I'm the only one night riding next week when we go to glamis, lol. Other wise I needed to do like 6 flags. I got the flashing one so when we go on big group rides at Rallys then I can forsure stand out when we get seperated.

Nick

Ok,  So I went with the 5050 kit. It is better quality than the 3528 kit we have here. It has a black backing and each light has 3 colors in it instead of like on the 3528 that has 1 light for each color, when you put it on a different color on that one you have big gaps. On this kit you have lights all the way up. When wrapping it I think it pulled to tight on this small 6ft whip and some of the lights are the wrong color in a few spots, but its only 3 lights per spot and I think if I had done the 10ft whips it would been fine.
I used 3/4in heat shrink and you might want to use a larger size on the bigger whips. It was a pain and just barely fit. It looks nice and seems like it will last, if not I'm not out that much.

Peelz

Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Krandall

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Nick

Quote from: Krandall on January 23, 2012, 08:12:22 AM
total cost?

Lights that I got 38$
Heat shrink 7$ ish
Flag, depends of you have one.
And I have plenty to use on my quad

Krandall

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Nick

Ok so a flaw I noticed on all of the kits are the 4 pin connectors at the ends of the LED's to connect to the power source. 2 of mine broke when someone went to mess with it. So now I have a little repairing and riggin to do. This should be done anyways because I think it would have happened anyways. The pins are the size of staples maybe. I'm thinking I'll repair and put actual quick connects in.

Cammy

How did you wire them in Nick? Could we possibly have a write up or how to? If you do I guess there could be a handi thrown your way. ;)

Nick

Quote from: Cammy on January 23, 2012, 02:22:52 PM
How did you wire them in Nick? Could we possibly have a write up or how to? If you do I guess there could be a handi thrown your way. ;)

I only have them on the flag so far. The garage is heating up right now, but I am just gonna go straight to the battery because my set has a IR remote control with on/off switch lol
The box is going to be in the back tool area and the IR sensor is going to run out near the tail light I think. I'll take some pics

Nick

Ok, update on this Bright idea. BuhDumTsh

The 5m kit is 16.4 feet or so.. And I wrapped my flag, ok and the 4 pin connectors are junk like I said.
Then with the extra I was going to put it on my quad, And then the next dilema I've come across is once you cut away at the coating and expose the 4 copper leads that are the size of a pin head. You then must solder to those tiny ass points and I have 5 done up that I've wrapped in electrical tape to secure for now. And 4 that I keep having problems with them holding on to.
There are some connectors on this site that would make it easier to solder to. I am not sure if I am gonna put these on by tomorrow, I don't want to have them come apart because of a weak solder job. My flag will still be lit up. But I may wait on the quad.

http://www.youtube.com/user/superbrightleds#p/u/56/QJZcaThJ_7E

Bert

How are your guys lighted whips coming along?

Peelz

mine is collecting dust.  :thumbs:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Firemann32

I still havent even started........ :)I

dragonz

I got the lights
No flag pole
The bits that I do have are in NZ.
I'm in Colorado (the state)...................just sayin'
2003 Raptor 660LE
719cc with Kenz 13.5:1 piston
X-4 cam & no decomp
39mm FCR's
HV ported head