Opening a "for profit" riding area?

Started by preddy08, May 24, 2011, 07:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

preddy08

This has been in the back of my head since I was young. I want to open a for profit riding area with a offical 300' drag race area, a MX track, and some trails. The only thing stoping me is funds. I know land around me will cost 50k and up. I just dont know where to start? I've seen alot of bills recently pass about grants/funds going twards OHV riding areas, not sure if it could go to a private person or not.

Nebraska has VERY few riding areas. I'm located in Omaha. If I want to ride I have 2 choices that are within 2 hours of me. One is just over that state line in Iowa, and that place is very poorly kept and has been flooded the last two years. Other than that place I have Genoa, which is owned by a local power district and is closed ~6 months out of the year. Just surfing CraigsList I see people posting wanting places to ride, so I know people are wanting new areas. Just over 2 hours away is a place alot like I want to open. It has drags, and MX track, but not too many people know about it. They charge 20 dollars a day to ride and quite frankly the place seems pretty cool. They have beer gardens, and concerts every so often.

Do you think this would be a good venture to get into? I know funding would be hard to get, but I think I could work something out. I really want a place where people can come, hang out, and have a good time. Having a place like Little Shara Power Sports is ultimatly what I'd like to do. I'd love to serve BBQ and have the wifey come out and cook some bad ass food on the weekends. So pretty much be like a year round raptor rally.

Any thoughts? Do you think this would be profitable enough to cover a full time job? I know people are willing to spend the money and or drive a hour to have a new place to ride. There is a private riding area 3 hours north of me that has been "full" and unable to accept new members. The Jamobree's at Genoa in the spring and fall attract over 2000 people for a small 800 acre park. I really think Nebraska needs something new! I'm getting sick and tired of not being able to ride because I have to drive for hours just to get out on the quad. This has really been getting to me and I'm seriously thinking about parting out the quad to get into something I can use more often.
Just a little 81hp trail bike.

Colorado700R

Ive had that thought MANY times Shawn. Without a natural riding area that doesn't require maintenance, it can be an expensive venture. Grading tracks takes time and $, and I'm willing to bet there will a stiff insurance bill, and most likely a needed for legal council to set up a no liability agreement that is as bullet proof as possible.

However, you live in a large metro area, with a solid ATV enthusist base.

It's a gamble for sure, but what in life isn't?

If you build it, I will come......oh wait, that was Iowa :lol:

Peelz

hell yeah aaron, build it right next to my baseball diamond in the cornfield. LOL

our local one didnt last shawn :( it was 300 a year to join. it was 428 acres...not really sport quad friendly either. But I wish I still had it.

guy didnt wanna do the work to maintain it, so it was sold to hunting club. :( Oh and douchebags were sneaking in, or leaving the grounds and causing $hit...which makes it hard to validat keeping going.

BUt as aaron said. if you build Ill be there.

badlands is making money I think.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

preddy08

I knew the legals would be rough. I guess for now I'll have to start looking at land. Gotta start somewhere.

This is something like what I want to open up, but with more of a Little Shara Powersports shop feel.  http://www.offroadranch.net/

Here's the private park I was talking about. I call twice a year and ask if there is any open memberships. Its always booked and its something like 5,000+ per year for a RV spot and rights to ride.  http://www.peelout.net/

Gunz

Dent Source LLC

941 +10 w/bar

Bert

This guy is in the process of doing what your talking about. 

http://www.motokazieland.com/theland/

Colorado700R

Quote from: 4gunz4x4z on May 24, 2011, 10:42:01 PM
I'm in for $10,000.00.

In that case, I'm opening a hookers and blow theme park...what up? :lol:

Krandall

Heck yea Shawna!!!! If you decide to go this route, don't forget to figure in cost for equipment, (Bobcat/Dozer ect) for maintanence, dirt hauled in probably yearly. Would be way cool. :)

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

preddy08

Quote from: Krandall on May 25, 2011, 07:39:18 AM
Heck yea Shawna!!!! If you decide to go this route, don't forget to figure in cost for equipment, (Bobcat/Dozer ect) for maintanence, dirt hauled in probably yearly. Would be way cool. :)

I pretty much planned on a bobcat to start off with.

Peelz

I had this idea a while back to have farmers here in Iowa buy into a sharing agreement. THey get paid out of an account based on acreage, members pay in to use the land, but have a liability waiver of course. There are some great places here to ride, but cant get to them for fear of farmers shooting you. :lol: Like the watershed break between corn fields, fence lines, ditches...etc.

just a thought. Put an ad in the paper "unused land wanted to ride atv, willing to pay"

:shrug:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Colorado700R

Just like an Iowian....wants to be subsidized in a CO-OP :lol:

Colorado700R

On a serious note, why don't you draw up the completed facility as you see it in your head. Then you can have a more accurate idea of how much land you will require.

Peelz

Quote from: Colorado700R on May 25, 2011, 09:28:40 AM
Just like an Iowian....wants to be subsidized in a CO-OP :lol:

LOL

it was an honest thought I had. good unused land here

Segkast

Sounds like a badass idea, for sure something I've thought about too. A few years back the ORV park here was for sale and it was something I considered trying to talk my Pops into for a while.

I think what I heard was he had problems with a lot of intolerably rowdy behavior (a lot of drinking/driving, it's also open to trucks to go wheelin) and serious issues affording the type of insurance necessary. It's open again though, so someone's making it work - at least for now.

I'd suggest when/if you get real serious about it- take some time to talk to the owner/operators of current venues doing a a similar thing. Maybe, if you get the opportunity, not a bad idea to talk to some of the guys who failed in their venture as well. Good bad examples are wonderful learning tools too.

We have a lot of public land people ride on in Western WA, so I think that's one major obstacle to success around here, but in a place where riding areas are seriously limited, you could do really well IMO

:beer:

Oury grips & Yamalube

preddy08

I know it would be profitable, but looking at land that somewhat close to me. Within 200+ miles any land over 100 acres is gonna be 200k+ :jaw: