Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: i know its in the wrong section  (Read 1113 times)

Offline jonny_b

• Street Cred: 0
i know its in the wrong section
« on: February 10, 2011, 08:03:56 PM »
i know this isn't the right section but the 350 section is collecting dust.

my buddy is rebuilding his warrior, and we tore it apart tonight and the top of the rod moves side to side alot! prob about 2mm. the specs say .8-1mm is good. it has a hot rods rod, not sure if its a crank too already in it, so idk if their specs are different. there is no up and down slop and the side to side on the bottom of the rod are in spec. now i don't think that it is a good idea to put it back together, but he is flat broke after buying a pipe, cam and piston. the question is what damage, other than what should already be replaced, could happen by just putting it back together? i really hate to be the one doing it, and him tell me to put it back together like it is and it blows up. i do things the way they should be done, and i don't feel good about this one.

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
Re: i know its in the wrong section
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 08:14:13 AM »
I know there's a little play in the rod. But 2mm sounds like it's gettin a bit of slop. It's usually just the rod bearing (not that it's an easy thing to replace) but.

If you're already down that far. It'd be far cheaper to do that now, than wait for something MAJOR to happen and it end up being 10x more expensive.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline jonny_b

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 09:03:43 AM »
yeah, now how do i explain this to some one who doesn't want to spenpd the extra 100 to get it fixed?  :lol:

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 09:45:22 AM »
send him a link to this thread. :lol:

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline jonny_b

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 03:28:25 PM »
 :lol:  :lol:  :lol: if he knew what a link was, i might. hell, if he could turn on a comp or even had one i would.  :lol: but to make it worse the machine shop he took his head to, to have the valves, and valve seats recut said if it doesn't move up and down you'll be fine. so i'll just laugh and say i told you so when i have to tow him back home.  :rofl:

Offline txredxj

• VIP
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 05:36:00 PM »
did you actually measure it? .039 is 1mm and that is a bit more than 1/32. if you actually measure it and show him how far out it is that will be better than anything. i agree with the machine shop that side to side isnt a big deal, unless your talking about the crank.

Offline jonny_b

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 05:56:19 PM »
i measured the side to side of the rod on the crank, and it was like .629mm which was right in the middle. there was no up and down movement at all. but with th crank turned with the rod at the bottom, the top of the rod moved about 2.5mm. it may have been a little more or less cause i couldn't measure it exactly. i put it all the way to one side, put a straight edge up which touched it and moved it to the other side. since i didn't have my calipers with me, i just used a 4mm socket to rough it and it was more than half of it, which is twice the biggest tolerance. i knew it was out and had to do something to give him an idea. but its his bike, so i'm just gonna put it back together. everything else is good, so if it goes, it goes. then i'll be either rebuilding that for him, or he'll be buying a new bike. i'm hoping a new one, cause i don't like being stuck behind him, or having to slow down at every fork in the trail.  :lol: