Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: 09 Raptor 700R re-springing shocks...  (Read 4922 times)

Offline KrazyBlade

• Street Cred: 0
09 Raptor 700R re-springing shocks...
« on: November 13, 2010, 05:08:20 PM »
I just bought a brand new 09 Raptor and was wanting to get the stock shocks reworked for my rider weight.  My weight fluctuates between 240-246 lbs.  I have a race shop pretty close to where I live that does suspension work.  I called about having the work done and they suggested just re-springing the factory shocks with out messing with the valving yet.  They use Race Tech springs.  For the rear he said the suggested one was just about twice the rate of the stock spring.  Pricing makes this a very attractive option to me but i wanted to get some input from you guys to see if this all sounds good, right and if it is a viable option.

Online Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
Re: 09 Raptor 700R re-springing shocks...
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 05:20:27 PM »
welcome to the site and congrats on the purchase! where ya from?

THe stock rear raptor shock is pretty damned nice the way it is. Having it sprung/valved for your weight makes it even better. Pretty cheap option to an $800+ aftermarket shock, which would be a little better but for the cash...I would keep the stocker.

But then again, my whole bike is stock, what the f*** do I know. :rofl:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline KrazyBlade

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 05:52:11 PM »
Thanks for the "welcome" and I'm in south central Kansas.  I'm really new to the sport quad world.  I guess my question is can you respring the stocker with out revalving?

Offline Spartan

• Most Picked on
  • Street Cred: 16
  • Koolaid maker
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 07:34:37 PM »
You can respring it, but I think valving plays a big part in how the shock works also. I've heard the stock shocks are only set up for like a 160-180 lb rider...and I am not 180 lbs :lol:

Offline SprinterX

• VIP
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 09:53:06 PM »
Welcome to the site.

I'm about 230 myself and I have a +4 swingarm and +2 arms on the front. I had the rear revalved and resprung for the obvious reasons of being way to soft with my weight and the additional leverage. I spoke with Laz at GT Thunder about the fronts and he said the stock shocks were valved very heavy and only recommended doing the respring to suit my weight and +2 arms. I bought his dual spring set up and worked to dial in the comp/reb adjustments. I'm no racer but FWIW I find it works very well.
08 Raptor 700

RE +1 head, X4 cam, TQS 11.5 piston, KDS +3 TB & evac, FCI,
Barkers duals, PC5 with A/T, Dyna Programmable, DL700 tune.
+2 I-Shock arms, Rock axle, reworked shocks, GTT link, +4 oem ext'd swinger
Elka Sys5 Dampner, Fasst Flexx on Rox anti-vibe risers, TT HIDs
Razr2 on HiPers, Skat 21/12/8 8pdl extremes, Sandstar frts
Roll bumper, PA guards/nerfs/skids

Offline XC_Raptor700R

• Email
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 04:16:09 PM »
Respringing will help tremendously, but I would seriously consider revalving also. The valving is what controls the shock during it's travel. If you don't revalve then you can also adjust the clickers to dial it in the best you can.
2006 XC Raptor 700R, Greg's ATV suspension, rear link, Houser +.5" MGC a-arms, anti-vibe stem, flag, Pro Taper bars, full HMF, PCIII, 21/20 RazrII's on DWT Ultimate's

www.gregsatv.com

Offline WiigStyle

• Site Sponsor
  • Street Cred: 5
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 03:23:16 PM »
I would recommend going with a respring and revalve for weight and riding style. Reason being that the springs control position and the valving controls the velocity at which the shock travels. If you increase spring rate and leave the valving stock you slow down the shaft travel but it still blows thru the stroke cause of the valving internally leaving you with a soft ride but serious bottoming and harshness thru the stroke of the shock.

Josh
WiigStyle Racing Suspension

Offline KrazyBlade

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 08:17:30 PM »
I would recommend going with a respring and revalve for weight and riding style. Reason being that the springs control position and the valving controls the velocity at which the shock travels. If you increase spring rate and leave the valving stock you slow down the shaft travel but it still blows thru the stroke cause of the valving internally leaving you with a soft ride but serious bottoming and harshness thru the stroke of the shock.

Josh

I have all shocks off and boxed up.  Will be shipping out UPS to you Monday!  Thanks for the quote.  I included the email print out and the work order in the box.  Any other thing I need to do?

Offline WiigStyle

• Site Sponsor
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 07:22:06 AM »
When I receive the shocks I will give you a call to go over the work order form and then I will get started on the shocks. Next phone call you get should be for payment and shipping details. If there is anything else I can help you with please ask. Talk to you later.

Josh

Offline Sandeater

• Street Cred: 3
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 10:27:29 PM »
What is the cost to revalve and respring stock shocks?
My Sand Only Queen
Currently being rebuilt
2006 RE 778
Slingshot Lockup
+6 SLC Ladder Swingarm
Paint by JK Customs

Offline WiigStyle

• Site Sponsor
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 03:19:25 PM »
Cost for all 3 ranges on amount of work done and replacment parts but can be from $625 up to $773.00 for everything.

Josh