Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: What build do you recommend ?  (Read 4092 times)

Offline Segkast

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 4
  • Hola Bitcholas !
    • Email
What build do you recommend ?
« on: October 19, 2010, 01:40:22 PM »
 :rolleyes:

Let me start this by saying I have no clue what I'm doing with a 700, as most of you know I've been pretty dedicated to building my 660 Relic for the last few years, but decided it was finally time to let the Filthy Pig die. I love bacon.  ??? Looking to keep stock stroke and stock bore here...

Anyway, most of my riding has been duning.  8) Treeshots, trails and open duning are what I love, but I'm about 5 hours away from sand, so I've been looking to build something more trail friendly so I can ride more often and in my home state. Mostly I fart around in the dunes looking for a chance to dive into a nasty ass treeshot, but I like to line up at the hill from time to time as well when the opportunity presents itself. :nod: I'm not much of a jumper either, but I like to spend a bit of time off the ground hitting the back side of the smaller razor backs.

I don't need (or really even want) to be the fastest on the hill or in a flat drag, but I'd like to hold my own with a decent mild build. Mainly, I just need to be faster than my brother (08 SE w/ LTE's, Dobeck and MonsterFlow Intake)  :P or any punk kids showing up with their bolt-on YFZ's, you know the drill :lol: I don't want to lose trailability though, I want to be able to lug around the trails at a low speed if I want to, or hit them hard as well. (that last sentence has me thinking stay 100% stock :rofl:::)

So that should give you an idea of what I'm looking for out of a build. Only really concerned with the engine at the moment, not worried about suspension as I've got most of what I need there, and (at least for a while) the rest will stay stock.

Obviously, I'll get a PC3/5, probably doing an FCI Intake, and a single exhaust. Prog. dyna as well will go on whatever build I do. The rest...  :confused: I dunno ?  :help:

Feel free to throw out any build you think is good that I haven't listed, or add anything you think the build would need/benifit from. (bigger TB for example, I have no clue where these come into play) Not really looking to spend a shitload, but I would be willing to spend around $1500 or so if it's worth it, though I'd ideally like to stay under $1000 (I know this limits my headwork). Poll has no time limit and you CAN change your vote. 
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 01:42:50 PM by SegKast »
Oury grips & Yamalube

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
Re: What build do you recommend ?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 02:03:04 PM »
Why are you so set on that 5050 cam?

don't drink the kool-aid :)

x-2 ftw. 8)

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Segkast

• VIP
  • Hola Bitcholas !
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 02:08:02 PM »
Not set on the cam to be honest, just throwing one out there. Told ya I don't know jack shit about these ugly sons of bitches :lol:
Oury grips & Yamalube

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 02:09:41 PM »
j/k (sorta)

there's so many options out there. I'd say if you want to run trails, you should do something that's pump gas friendly. Plus its so nice just being able to pull up to a gas station and fill up.

I'd say 11:1 or 12.5:1 are your best options. Head Port. best bang for the buck is gonna be Bo hands down. Cam's I think is where you'll hear all sorts of opinions. I myself came from a Hot Cam stage 2. Loved it. Solid runner. But the gains in the x-2 were THAT much more.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Segkast

• VIP
  • Hola Bitcholas !
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 02:12:49 PM »
I'd prefer pump gas, but since I'm not planning on a bore/stroke at all I'm not against upping the compression a bit to compensate and pay for 110. The more I think about it, the milder my build gets in my head...

Piston, cam, P&P ... but what goddamn combo !? Aaaaaaahhhhh... :run:
Oury grips & Yamalube

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 02:24:07 PM »
I've heard only mediocre reviews of the +2 head. So... for the $ I'd think it's a waste. especially for a medium based build.

I loved my hot cam stage 2. For the price, it was hard to beat.

I guess, I sorta gave you my opinion.

11:1 - Bo Track Port - Hot Cam stg2 or x2. :)

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Segkast

• VIP
  • Hola Bitcholas !
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 02:24:58 PM »
Dig it, thanks Randy ! :cheers:
Oury grips & Yamalube

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 03:12:18 PM »
voted for first option. pump gas or kiss my a$$! :lol: But get a hotcam stage 3 not 2. THat setup could be in the 60's with duals.  :thumbs:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Mad Dog

• Grand Masta Sexy
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 24
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 03:13:01 PM »
MD likes low end and midrange, he likes the Stage 2 option ;)

Offline Livingmylife93

• Street Cred: 1
  • Ride Hard, Crash Harder, Laugh The Hardest
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 03:28:25 PM »
I love my 11:1 wiseco with intake and fuel controller. I wouldnt mind a cam to top it off.

Offline Spartan

• Most Picked on
  • Street Cred: 16
  • Koolaid maker
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 03:35:47 PM »
Hotcam 3....don't get that 5050 :no:

Offline Segkast

• VIP
  • Hola Bitcholas !
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 04:15:08 PM »
 :rofl: Damn, nobody thinks I should go fast eh ?  :batman:

You think I'll be missing the low end though if I go 11.5 w/ a stage 3 ? Bit of compression might help there, no ?
Oury grips & Yamalube

Offline Segkast

• VIP
  • Hola Bitcholas !
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 04:16:45 PM »
voted for first option. pump gas or kiss my a$$! :lol: But get a hotcam stage 3 not 2. THat setup could be in the 60's with duals.  :thumbs:

Duals, bah... single's already on it's way. Should support a decent build I hope, wouldn't expect it to limit me that much... You think ??? ?
Oury grips & Yamalube

Offline Segkast

• VIP
  • Hola Bitcholas !
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 04:18:45 PM »
New option listed at the bottom
Oury grips & Yamalube

Offline Kamakazi

• Canucks
  • Street Cred: 6
  • even dodge dealerships wont take a ford on trade
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2010, 04:35:38 PM »
id put the majority of the $$ into the head, id go RE +1 or +2 (personally id go +2), go with any cam thats not a hotcam, and a 14:1 piston.  You do not NEED to buy an expensive FCI intake, i run a prodesign on a more agressive build and it runs beautifuly. You have to keep in mind its gonna be another 100-200 for all of your gaskets, and another 20$ for stronger clutch springs, and a bit of machine work to get your cylinder to a true 14:1 compression.  I think the build i have listed above should be arround the 1500$ mark including a tune, i dont know what a RE head and a cam go for now adays  ???
98% of north americans that hit the ditch say "oh shit", the other 2% are from saskatchewan and say "hold my beer and watch this"