honda 700xx...again

Started by Peelz, June 20, 2008, 11:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FoundArealQuad

It is a big learning curve. Tires is one of the biggest factors in a IRS sport quad. I just switched to Razr 6plys and the difference is night and day. I tipped it on its side twice before and once all the way over. The stock tire side wall was soft and left the quad unstable in the corners. Now I can almost do as well as my straight axle quad in the corners. Once I get the shocks rebuilt it will lower the quad about an inch and that should about do it. The IRS feel on the Outlaw is nothing like the feel of IRS on a UTE it is a ton more stable if that is what you are basing the handling off of. I will agree the Raptor is a better built machine over the Outlaw and I have had some problems with mine, but still a good machine. I think the time Polaris gets all the kinks out of it they will come out with something different, just like they did with the Predator.
DMC Force 4s, PCIII, Mod Quad Intake, Flexx Bars, Alba Nerfs with Pro Pegs, Rox +2 adjustable risers, CCP, EHS airbox cover

Peelz

Quote from: Polarass525 on June 23, 2008, 10:46:11 AM
It is a big learning curve. Tires is one of the biggest factors in a IRS sport quad. I just switched to Razr 6plys and the difference is night and day. I tipped it on its side twice before and once all the way over. The stock tire side wall was soft and left the quad unstable in the corners. Now I can almost do as well as my straight axle quad in the corners. Once I get the shocks rebuilt it will lower the quad about an inch and that should about do it. The IRS feel on the Outlaw is nothing like the feel of IRS on a UTE it is a ton more stable if that is what you are basing the handling off of. I will agree the Raptor is a better built machine over the Outlaw and I have had some problems with mine, but still a good machine. I think the time Polaris gets all the kinks out of it they will come out with something different, just like they did with the Predator.

good write up.  How do you widen it? Can you get extended arms for the back, or do you just get spacers? I read the build in dirtwheels about modding the outlaw, where they just got wheels with a higher offset.

I don't think the outlaw is as heavy as the Honda, Is it? Certainly not 500 lbs!?

I did get to ride one, it was odd trying to get over the body roll/ leaning into the corner. On a straight axle quad, if you are leaning like that, it's probably too late, you're gonna tip! So I would keep backing off. Just different. I thought really hard about buying one, because I ride rough rutted trails all the time. I have found, though, the Rappy can handle most of them pretty well.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

thatguy

Quote from: HammosDS450X on June 21, 2008, 09:36:19 AM
Chevy Diesel trucks Sorry I Should have been More Pointed....
Dodge and Ford have a Solid Axle Setup Hence the Rough ride
my step dads got a 2003 gmc sierra 3500 duramax and it dont got irs :moon:

FoundArealQuad

Quote from: Peels660 on June 23, 2008, 11:07:31 AM
Quote from: Polarass525 on June 23, 2008, 10:46:11 AM

good write up.  How do you widen it? Can you get extended arms for the back, or do you just get spacers? I read the build in dirtwheels about modding the outlaw, where they just got wheels with a higher offset.

I don't think the outlaw is as heavy as the Honda, Is it? Certainly not 500 lbs!?

I did get to ride one, it was odd trying to get over the body roll/ leaning into the corner. On a straight axle quad, if you are leaning like that, it's probably too late, you're gonna tip! So I would keep backing off. Just different. I thought really hard about buying one, because I ride rough rutted trails all the time. I have found, though, the Rappy can handle most of them pretty well.
The Outlaw 525 IRS is 395lbs dry weight which is a pound lighter than the Rappy, but it has a 3.9 gallon fuel tank so it gives the Outlaw a heavier curb weight. There is a company that been desert racing them that makes longer half shafts and wider rear A arms. For the cost of all that it really is not worth it. I would be easier to run a different offset of rim. I really can't pass judgment on the 700xx yet, but I know they know they need to come down on the weight.
DMC Force 4s, PCIII, Mod Quad Intake, Flexx Bars, Alba Nerfs with Pro Pegs, Rox +2 adjustable risers, CCP, EHS airbox cover

Bert

Like the review said the Honda 700XX could be a 4x4 sport quad @ that weight  :rofl:

Peelz

Quote from: Bert on June 23, 2008, 01:29:04 PM
Like the review said the Honda 700XX could be a 4x4 sport quad @ that weight  :rofl:

That's my problem. If I wanted weight with a sport quad, I'd get the Can Am renegade...It's at least 4x4!
You get the 700xx stuck, that extra 100 lbs is gonna get old fast lifting at the grab bar :confused:.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Bert

Quote from: Peels660 on June 23, 2008, 02:02:14 PM
Quote from: Bert on June 23, 2008, 01:29:04 PM

That's my problem. If I wanted weight with a sport quad, I'd get the Can Am renegade...It's at least 4x4!
You get the 700xx stuck, that extra 100 lbs is gonna get old fast lifting at the grab bar :confused:.
With the piggy 700xx I would ride with friends with Ute's & buy a Warn winch.
A guy I know sold his Raptor & bought a Kawi Brute Force 750 for farm work, he's very impressed & said he raced & smoked a Renny

FoundArealQuad

Colorado700R

can you imagine trying to spin that that thing around in the sand!!  :confused:

You can get real tired moving the rappy on the tree shoots in walden, add another $100lbs and it's really gonna suck.

FoundArealQuad

I'm thinking about buying a used LTR soon and use the Outlaw just for trail riding. The ride on the Outlaw is great in the rough stuff and you really don't need to pick a line at all.

Colorado700R

Quote from: Polarass525 on June 23, 2008, 02:15:51 PM
I'm thinking about buying a used LTR soon and use the Outlaw just for trail riding. The ride on the Outlaw is great in the rough stuff and you really don't need to pick a line at all.

And then you'll only have to carry half the tools!!!  :clap:

FoundArealQuad

Its getting there most every thing is switched over now :grin_nod:

Bert

Quote from: Colorado700R on June 23, 2008, 02:09:08 PM
can you imagine trying to spin that that thing around in the sand!!  :confused:

You can get real tired moving the rappy on the tree shoots in walden, add another $100lbs and it's really gonna suck.

I would be worried about that pig gettin stuck in the snow, a Rappy is enough work @ 440 lbs wet & bolt on accessories

FoundArealQuad

Helps my buddy is a tool and die guy, I just bring him the bolts and orders metric for me.

Bert

Quote from: Polarass525 on June 23, 2008, 02:19:38 PM
Helps my buddy is a tool and die guy, I just bring him the bolts and orders metric for me.
must be nice