downside of a lockout clutch?

Started by Langford, October 09, 2010, 11:26:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langford

Besides the initial price, are there any real downsides of switching to a lockout clutch?

Right now, my Raptor is just a 3 mod...but my stock clutch is starting to let loose, and I'm going to be putting a bit more power down next spring (thanks to that group buy :nod:), and I probably will build it even more later on...especially if something lets loose internally. 

Here is what I plan on going with:

http://www.tqsatv.com/proddetail.php?prod=Raptordd

I picked up a set of heavier springs, but I figured I might as well just do it right and go with the DD.  How will this change the shifting/drivability of the quad?  Obviously it isn't going to slip like the stocker, but I spend most of the time at the drag strip on the dunes anymore...so that won't bug me there, but on occasion, I will hit some trails.  I really don't want to increase the pull weight of the clutch handle either...my forearm really starts hurting after a long day on the sand as it is...does the DD lockout change that?  Are there any downsides to running that setup, or reasons why I shouldn't?  I would appreciate any comments, pros/cons to these.

Thanks,
Kyle
'07 powerwheels raptor...with a belt driven twin screw centrifugal turbocharger!  Wait for it, wait for it...!

Alkire193

DD is a bit much on a 3 mod. 20-30% springs, and some shimming on an OEM clutch will maintain with no problem. I had a 2 year old OEM clutch and it JUST starting slipping at the top of my range when we dyno'd my 770.

Drawback can be clutch lever will be a bit stiffer, not much. And the larger case will require you to have an extended brake lever, it feels awkward at first to have your foot out further but you get used to it. The thing is, putting that money into a lock out is something to do if you are thinking of going bigger than Big 3. Otherwise its a bit overkill.

Thats just my opinion.

Langford

I will have a 20 shot on it next week...and unless I'm imagining things, my stock clutch is starting to slip a bit.  Eventually I will tear into the motor and go a little further with this thing, but probably not until something lets loose, or I get bored with the power it makes now...so I would rather just do it once and have a clutch that can hold up to whatever. 
'07 powerwheels raptor...with a belt driven twin screw centrifugal turbocharger!  Wait for it, wait for it...!

Sand84

The only downside i see is the sticking out of the cover.  But other than that its all good.  I know how you are. :nod:  I say get the Lockout now.  Casue you'll prolly NEED one by this time next year 8)
2009 Raptor 700- D7 :turbo: :satan:

Custom Carbon Creations

One stop shop for Carbon Covers for Raptor 700!!!

TWISTER

Hmmmm NOS + Direct Drive=  :tank: Turbo raptor hunter :nod:
No sig

Spartan

Get a slingshot clutch and run 40% springs...totally under the stock cover and it actually feels very nice, I barely notice it til high rpms and that's usually drag racing.

Langford

Quote from: Sand84 on October 10, 2010, 11:51:29 AM
The only downside i see is the sticking out of the cover.  But other than that its all good.  I know how you are. :nod:  I say get the Lockout now.  Casue you'll prolly NEED one by this time next year 8)
Probably true... I'm not a fan of getting smoked by other quads, and YFZduner and a few of those other guys from SLF were putting a whooping on me this weekend, and even with a 20 shot...I will be nowhere near those guys.  

Twisters quad was ripping it up this weekend too...those 22" haulers made a HUGE difference on his quad.  Before, I would get him out of the hole and he would catch me at the end of the track, now he was getting the hole shot and putting more and more distance between us the whole time.  He even managed to run down some pretty fast banshees that I had no chance against.

Quote from: TWISTER on October 10, 2010, 12:13:02 PM
Hmmmm NOS + Direct Drive=  :tank: Turbo raptor hunter :nod:
I think it may take more than that for me to catch that thing once its up and running...but I will be game to give it a try!   :nod:

Quote from: Spartan727 on October 10, 2010, 12:17:53 PM
Get a slingshot clutch and run 40% springs...totally under the stock cover and it actually feels very nice, I barely notice it til high rpms and that's usually drag racing.

I have to admit...I'm an aesthetics whore, and I LOVE the way those DD's look, especially with the the polished cover and black "ninja" design.  So I don't mind dealing with the cover sticking out more.

And while we are on that subject, how much further does the DD cover stick out over the stock one?  

TWISTER

It already sucks I have to wait till next year to do that again. I did race 2 fast banshees when you were leaving and one I could get but not the other. I did beat the white 250r a couple 3 times. Man that guy had 4 lengths on me before the 22s. I thought I read the DD was like 2-3 inces out if memory serves correct.
No sig

Sand84

If i had my lock out with me id tell you. (Its at my parents)  IF you dont get a answer, I'll stop out this weekend and measure it.

That DD is Sexy,  I was just afraid of my boots tearing up the cover.  So i went with the OG set up  :rofl:
2009 Raptor 700- D7 :turbo: :satan:

Custom Carbon Creations

One stop shop for Carbon Covers for Raptor 700!!!