RAPTOR MOTOCROSS

Started by atv, October 07, 2010, 02:38:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

atv

Hey
Does anyone on here race motocross on their 700, if so what mods have you done to be competitive with the 450s.

Alkire193

Cow plow on the front  :clap:

You need a bit of power to overcome to the power to weight issue with the Raptor. Simple 3 mod raptor can take a stock 450. Stock for stock the 450 gets me in holeshot but cant last in the long run. Also playing with your sprocket ratio to create more power in the low end will give you a slight advantage.

You also need to consider your front end and a lowered rear end. If you are bone stock, look at having your rear shock set up for your riding style and weight. Get your frame down to 7-8inches off the ground and try to get the atv wide. Dont shortcut with widening kits off Ebay, they are unreliable in MX situations and can be dangerous when landing larger jumps. Instead look at standard travel +2 or +3 a-arm kits with standard travel suspension. A suspension upgrade will take a lot of stress off of you and create less fatigue. Also the widening hubs from LSR (Lonestar Racing) will keep weight down and give you a wider stance in the rear.

Lowering the frame can be done with wider a-arms and a rear link upgrade. It will put you CG (center of gravity) lower to prevent the roll over effect in turns, allowing you to carry more speed through turns.

From there you can look into wheels and tires. Stock Raptor are 20" rear tires, think about 18" tires for smoother drifting through corners.

And lastly, considering a steering stem upgrade isnt a bad option. If you find yourself hunched forward while riding you might consider getting a better posture in your riding stance. A taller steering stem will give you a more upright position, and when riding through areas you are pulling back like rowing a boat instead of pulling up on a low steering stem which takes more effort and gets uncomfortable.

Peelz

did alkire say suspension?  :lol: thats all I have to say too. stock will kill you. Lower it, widen it...make it ride better. Raptors are tippier than a 450...

nerf bars and a kill switch of course.  :thumbs: It helps to not be as old as me too. :rofl:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

atv

Thanks for the info.
Right now I'm runnning houser LT +2 a-arms with quad rate comp rebound elka shocks plus a Durablue x-33 axle with a elka dual rate compression and rebound adjustable rear shock with a durablue lowering link and precision pro stabilizer with holeshot sx tyres on beadlocks.
Any ideas on what else I could do to get it going any quicker suspension wise ???Thanks

Alkire193

Most racers go max pre load to stay low but get travel when they are landing jumps. Thats for the front, the rear I wouldnt mess with since that is what will do the most work for you in a race.

Sprocket ratio, tire size and some motor power would all help. To beat a built 450, you need a built Raptor, motor wise...