Helemt cams now vs. then

Started by Headrope, September 28, 2010, 02:06:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Headrope

Looking for advice from folks who have had a helmet cam for a while.
Which do you have? Which do you wish you had?
Why, etc.
Two '06 700R SEs

Both with:                                          One also with:                   
GYT-R Sport front grab bar                   GYT-R Swingarm guard
GYT-R Engine/frame skid plate             GYT-R Nerf bars
GYT-R A-arm guards                           OMI Steering stem mount
GYT-R Aluminum radiator guard            ODI Lock-on grips

disco

I have the original ContourHD and it's fine but there's bigger and better from Contour (and others) now so I'd get that.  The current C-HD is 1080p.  Maybe the price has come down by now?  Accessories are high but I'm sure that's with everybody.

Do like:  you can mount it in any orientation and rotate the lens back to level.  

Don't like:  you need some fairly strong light for it to really work well.  Dusk or twilight and it's time to put it up.  I've taken it riding at night before and all you see it where the lights shine directly.

My advice is whatever you get, don't take it out without messing with it around the house first.  I familiarized myself with the controls and stuff before I left for LS last year but I'd never mounted it to my helmet and drove around with it to see where it was aiming.  I did a quick and dirty aiming/alignment before I started riding and it seemed okay.  I got home and put it on the computer and it was aimed way too low.

Second, bring a laptop to download your video unless you have a ton of storage on your memory cards.  A laptop also lets you find out before it's too late that your camera aim is off.  A second battery and a car charger wouldn't be a bad idea either.

I bought the waterproof case for mine since then.

edit to fix typo
mostly stock with a 12t sprocket of fury

Spartan

I've had the go pro wide and liked it, but my next cam will definitely be a HD. I recommend the Go pro HD or the ContourHD...both are good in their own ways.

Headrope

You can only view the Contour HD vids on a computer?
Two '06 700R SEs

Spartan

The 1080i ones yet, and it has to be a decent computer...I really like the 720p, it has very good resolution while offering better playability on all platforms.

disco

Quote from: Headrope on September 28, 2010, 03:11:41 PM
You can only view the Contour HD vids on a computer?

yes, that's how mine is.  power button on the back, sliding record switch on top.  there is no viewfinder.  it saves to a micro sd card and connects to the computer with a small USB cable.  the files are pretty large too so you won't be emailing them.
mostly stock with a 12t sprocket of fury

Spartan

There is also no viewfinder on a Go pro unless you get the screen addon

Headrope

Seems both are comparable but there's one major difference between the two: You have to download the Vholdr one onto a computer where as the GoPro can be plugged into a tv or computer. Is this correct?
Two '06 700R SEs

Spartan

I know the go pro has a TV adapter (doesn't play in real time but you can play back vids on it), am not sure on the vholdr though.