I think I blew up my motor

Started by war4g64, May 19, 2010, 02:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

war4g64

I have 06 raptor 700r, mods include gytr intake, gytr exhaust, pciii, dynatech programble ignition, and hot cam stage three cam. After about four hours of trouble free riding and sitting there at idle the bike shut off. Tried to restart and sounded terrible and spun over very slowly. Pushed back to the trailer got home fired right up and sounded fine. Took it up the road, pulled hard then locked up again. Pushed it into the garage and pulled the cam out everything looked great. I put the stock cam back in and same thing. Any ideas would be great but i plan on pulling the head and jug off tonight.  :cry: On a brighter note if it is just a bad piston what would you all recommend getting, I was looking at the 736 jug with 10 to 1 compression for pump gas.  :clap:

Brian

Spartan

Is your battery fully charged? Also did you check your valves? And what size bore is 736ccs? You might be thinking of 734 (106mm bore).

war4g64

I replaced the battery the next day and valves were fine, sorry it is the 734 I was thinking about.

war4g64

MY other question is the hc3 a drop in cam, cause I changed nothing other than setting the valves. I had been running a stage 2 for a while with no problems. I had just put in the stage 3 just before this ride.

Krandall

Yes, they say you can run the stage 3 w/ stock springs still.

could be a number of things. I think your best bet is getting the head / jug off and looking @ the piston and cylinder walls.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

war4g64

I will post up with what I find tonight, thank you for the help.   :clap:

war4g64

One more question can I pull the head and cylinder off with the motor still in the bike?

Colorado700R

Sand84

Quote from: Spartan727 on May 19, 2010, 02:52:01 PM
Is your battery fully charged? Also did you check your valves? And what size bore is 736ccs? You might be thinking of 734 (106mm bore).

734 is a 105.5mm Bore Pat  :thumbs:
2009 Raptor 700- D7 :turbo: :satan:

Custom Carbon Creations

One stop shop for Carbon Covers for Raptor 700!!!

Spartan

My bad, I got screwed up...106 bore is 741cc. Thanks for the heads-up sandy :thumbs:

Sand84

2009 Raptor 700- D7 :turbo: :satan:

Custom Carbon Creations

One stop shop for Carbon Covers for Raptor 700!!!

Alkire193

Cant figure out the locking up, sluggish start could be power or decomp spring failure.

Mad Dog

I can but I hope I'm wrong...  I would caution against riding it again, even if it fires up ok.  I wouldn't even hit the electric starter again yet.  If you're all set to pull the head do it, but I would have removed the plug and tried turning the engine over by hand early in the process.

war4g64

I pulled the head and jug off tonight,  :cry: sad to say it is bottom end. Will be going 770 so any tips would be helpfull. I drain 2 quarts of oil out of it so I know oil was not a problem. What could of happened? Motor is out of the bike will post pics soon. Let me say this site is great and thank you for the help. Do not want this to happen with the 770.  :thumbs:

Alkire193

Cant wait to see some photos. TroyWCC is a great guy to talk to about 770 builds. I did one, but I didnt deck my cylinder or match my piston to my cylinder when it was bored and coated. Also had a 48mm TB that was restricting airflow a bit. Still ended up with 72hp 60tq but there was more to be had