Callin Out a One Upper

Started by Alkire193, May 11, 2010, 06:38:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alkire193

Just something that happened, Raptor related.

I was at work a little while back and a "new comer" decided to eaves drop on my conversation about my Raptor. Before long he asked the question;

"So you got a 4-wheeler?"

"Yea, I guess you could say that."

In my head im thinking "LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT 770cc's OF TURBOCHARGERED METAL SPAT OUT OF HELL IM PUTTING TOGETHER!!!", but instead the question suggested that he himself was an atv rider. So I kept my details out if it and tried to dig in a bit.

"So what are you riding?"

Guy tells me he has a Raptor. I start talking about Raptorsource and other riders like him that love Raptors and ride in Colorado. Its all going very well except for one thing.

He is very smug about the Raptor, very smug about Colorado, well.....he's just plain acting arrogant. He knows I ride a Raptor, and yet he keeps talking like he has the biggest set of balls in the room. So I start to get a wave of pity for this guy knowing that I got the Ace of Spades. If this guy has anything bigger than a 770cc he might have a smidge of room to feel ballsy. Otherwise, he is looking at one of several high bore ballsy mofo's that rock Raptors and can blow him away.

The conversation is turning insulting now, my friend Ryan moves away knowing that im picking my moment to shoot down the one up superstar officially nick-named "Top Up" by the end of his first week. I finally ask him, "so what makes this Raptor so special?". So far all ive heard is that its unbeatable and fast as  :mad: . He tells me its just so fast. So I ask, what kind of displacement are you running? Do you stroke or bore? Both? Nitrous? Octane? What cam you have? What piston? What gasket did you run when you rebuilt? Who did your head work?

Yea, he doesnt know....any of it

Apparently he turned it into a shop and they gave him a 718cc back, he thinks. And he tells me nothing can beat him, and he...in true one upper fashion, has traveled high and low, far and wide to test that theory.

Without a DYNO TUNE this man claims 85hp and 75tq. Apparently his  :mad: is calibrated because thats where those numbers came from.

I walked away after the dyno question. Confused this guy looked around for answers, the rest of the guys I worked with filled him in. Ive raved about every part so much that every guy in the hanger was Raptor modification certified.

One other guy pulled this on me. A 400ex rider claimed 70hp with an exhaust and a new jet in his carb. I just shook my head in agreement so he thought I was stupid and when he said we should race back to the camping area....I guess I misunderstood, I thought he meant he was going to go fast.

Anyone else with a story of someone calling you out or trying to one up? Lets have em!

Colorado700R

Dude .....He's from Colorado...we all think we're fast :lol:

Alkire193

Quote from: Colorado700R on May 11, 2010, 07:55:28 PM

Yea but youre not a dousche about it.  :lol:

txredxj

use to happen to me now and then. someone would get a new bike and man is it fast. polaris people are the worst from my experience. talked to a guy at the sand park. i see him popin wheelies drag racing was beating everyone but the family with alcohol banshees. i was riding trails all day and never drag raced. he comes over starts talking about my bike says it looks nice, cool what do you have. he puffs up and starts naming parts and all the time he took to get the right parts, how he picked the shop to make it fast. then he ran out of breathe. "wanna race?" sure. as usual i miss some shifts and lug it a bit then go in for the kill. beat him three more times. "man my bike must be F'd up or something" i chuckle a bit and say "no mines just fast". he gave me a " your a dick" look lol. havent seen him since, cant wait for the next time we meet.

i dont really ever brag on my bike, theres always someone faster. im what you might call a one downer. last time i got my bike dynoed i told them i had a big three. laid down 59 hp first run. they look at me funny and ran it again 65hp. intake and exhaust huh? they doubted me. later i told them what i had but it was fun jackin with them.  good times

Krandall

Quote from: Alkire193 on May 11, 2010, 08:17:24 PM

Yea but youre not a dousche about it.  :lol:

Have you heard about him talking about racing 4gunz?

:lol:
oh wait... that was gunz that called aaron out.. mah bad

:rofl:

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Peelz

LOL Alkire

Did you see the story about my neighbors I posted? The guy says He "broke the transfer case" on a warrior.  :rofl: Then they magically conjure up a polaris 500 with a homebuilt exhaust tip a few weeks later. Even with no key, no battery, no steering, and a misfire that produces backfiring that sounds like hell opening up and swallowing humanity...

This guy "mops up Raptors all day!"

Even my slow little 3 bike is still waiting for said race.  :lol:

And don't forget the redneck I ran into when I was washing it last year. "You got the new Raptor with power steering?"

"ummm no"

"My buddy does, it's fast as shit...bet it can beat yours"

"you don't say...."   :lol:

Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Troy31

And some of us really are. :thumbs:
06 LTR450- race quad
09 KTM 505SX- trail/duner/back up racer
09 YFZ450R- wife's
05 Blaster

Colorado700R

Quote from: Troy31 on May 12, 2010, 10:17:21 AM

I make up for my lack of HP with my lack of common sense :lol:

Alkire193

Buddies that call people out.  :clap:

I went overseas and starting getting messages from my riding buddies that were about to deploy.

"Hey Chris, we saw this Banshee (Polaris, DS650, Raptor, etc) that was just running all over. Never went on the trails but he kept dusting our campsite. We stopped him and told him you would wipe the floor with him so he shouldnt think hes all big and bad"

Thanks guys, ill come home to a campground of drunk rednecks wanting a shot at "the champ"  :help:

Actually after I did the 770 there was a Banshee doing that. Had a shop trailer (all the logos and big letters about this race shop) and like 6 other quads. When I rode up they all turned and stared, then the donuts and the pass bys by this chromed out banshee. I almost, just barely felt bad when I peppered their trailer sideways. I mean, it was a LOT of stones and sand I was flingin!

Later the Banshee couldnt go sideways (and he tried) so I guess he admitted defeat.

Met some of their friends that didnt ride later (asking where their campsite was) and they liked us better, said that guy was a prick always thinking he is alll high and mighty. So they drank with us all night!

Troy31

Quote from: Colorado700R on May 12, 2010, 10:27:39 AM

I think you meant you make up for your lack of handling with HP and lack of common sense. :lol:
06 LTR450- race quad
09 KTM 505SX- trail/duner/back up racer
09 YFZ450R- wife's
05 Blaster

Colorado700R

Quote from: Troy31 on May 12, 2010, 10:52:10 AM
Quote from: Colorado700R on May 12, 2010, 10:27:39 AM

I think you meant you make up for your lack of handling with HP and lack of common sense. :lol:

that too!!!

:lol:

Krandall

I've only had 1 semi "call - out"

I have a neighbor who used to baby sit me.. she's now 40 w/ 2 kids. Her husband races the same district as me XC. Every once in a while he comes up to her parents place (right down the road from my parents place) and tools around on the road. One day, I met up with him on the rappy and took him out to my grandparents land and showed him my little "xc" track I have set up back there.
We were toolin around all fine n' dandy he was following me around.

at this time, I had big 3 only. Barkers, Prodesign, and PCIII and a tflub arm.

He said we should line up w/ a telephone pole and race from one to the next.. I said sure.. what do I have to lose?

he's on a 450r. I'd consider semi-built. was bored, had some cam, high comp piston, and all the goodies.

He's probably 30-40lbs lighter than me too.

Lined up, I called 3, 2, 1 go!

tore off the line starting in 2nd gear. and it was me looking back the entire way.

so me.. happy as a clam, I figure.. meh, could be a fluke, I said okay, you say go this time. so he counts down. 3, 2, 1 GO!

and he takes me off the line by like 2'... after that it was game over for him though. I laughed sorta, he started askin me all sorts of questions about the raptor and then said.. oh, well, my tires are gettin pretty worn out and I haven't had much chance to tune everything yet. Maybe we'll do it again some other time. He was out back riding this past weekend, really wish I could have shown him what's going on. :nod: :clap:

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once