gearing?

Started by txredxj, May 04, 2010, 10:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

txredxj

after my rebuild i cant launch for crap now. 22'' haulers stock gearing slingshot +4 swinger and i bog down horribly at launch even when i have it at high rpms. played with air psi and it still sucks, either spins out or bogs. i walk up fast after im going but cant take off like i want to. before launch was decent and stayed out in front. i got a new stock front sprocket and rear. 70.29 hp and 56.48 tq on little sahara, ok dyno. previos build was 63hp and 51tq. not sure what i need to go with any suggestions welcomed

Peelz

How many paddles? Too many paddles will bog you down, but you seem like you have plenty of power. I prefer fewer, and also 20" but my bike is KINDA slow. :lol:

also, many peeps put a smaller front sprocket on for sand to help with bogging down....but it makes you shift more. I keep mine stock size now.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Krandall

I ran 21" extremes @ Silver Lake last year. Never had an issue w/ Bogging though. How many paddles you running?

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

exentix

One tooth smaller on the front is the same as three teeth bigger in the rear if I remember right. You may wanna try a smaller front like peels suggested or if that's too much of a change go two bigger in the rear. I think I recall reading that one in the front or three in the rear is around 5mph top end change in either direction. Don't hold me to that though :lol:

unclesharty

Did you run the same tires before your rebuild? If so Id say the problem isnt your gearing.

If not, then you have too much tire/paddles and need to run a different tire and/or change gearing.

If you're not crashin, you're not ridin hard enough!

txredxj

they are 8pdl haulers single buff 72ro i believe. same tires i had before head change. ill try and get a smaller front sprocket since even on trails i have to downshift more it seems like. could it be the slingshot not letting it slip as much under load.

jstev

Yea I'd say you have a problem.  that isn't a real aggresive set up for LS.

txredxj

yeah i think the lock up and possibly cam dont like the stock gearing. i ran some sand stars before that i switched with a friend and they launched better and turned tighter but with the haulers i can always get traction which i like in the trails and dunes at LS. i use to be able to stop on a steep dune 1/4 up and power right over the top but now i cant even do that. at beaver were i do most of my ridding you have to stop and turn back around trees but with this bog it makes it a pain and not very fun anymore. ill have to order a sprocket when i order a new chain. chain has 8 rides on it but keeps stretching and im almost out of adjustment

Peelz

you sure it isn't a map problem? those aren't really major big paddles
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Krandall

I don't know bro.. It sounds like something else is amiss here. even a big 3 should be able to turn 8pdl haulers.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

exentix

Agreed... Your build should be able to handle that no problem. Sounds lik it's a bigger issue than gearing

txredxj

well i dont know what else it could be. i think they did a good job on the map and didnt really have problems till i did a +2 RE head, megacycle cam, slingshot, +4 swingarm and motowoz rear shock. any ideas on what it could be? launches in first are fine but by the time i have to shift ive just spun out and didnt gain anything.

just checked and i do have a 14t front but the bottom bolt for the case saver is broken and gone. shitty fucking chain

Spartan

Did you do the mapping before or after the other mods? Your fuel rates have to be changed every time you do a major mod like that...I went from Big 3 to 727 stroker with cam, piston, valves, etc and it was a major difference in fuel.

Krandall

otherwise it sounds like it could be an issue with the slingshot. I don't know enough about them to know for sure.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

txredxj

i got it dynoed the day after i finished it at LS. they spent over an hour to get it set, partly because the dyno brake was acting up but i was satisfied with the tune. i dont know much about the slingshot myself but it functions properly and doesnt really give me problems but i think the extra clamping puts more of a load on it plus im not a small guy. case saver, chain and 13t sprocket will get ordered soon.