Another rear tire opinion thread...for sand/dirt mixed trails

Started by Spartan, May 01, 2010, 08:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spartan

Ok so my HDs are getting worn out and today whenever I put the hammer down the back would just spin to redline. What do you guys recommend for a 70hp trail buster? My choices so far are the XCRs, RAZR2s, and X-Rexs. I run a 10" rear rim so it limits my choices somewhat. I've had the XCRs before on the stock wheels but didn't get to use them very much on my new build. Any experiences with these? My kind of trails are sometimes really loose sand-like surfaces that make the HDs want to slide like a greased pig. I am probably gonna buy new this time and have been checking Ebay/RMATV on pricing...just wanted to get a few opinions before I bite the bullet.

Kamakazi

98% of north americans that hit the ditch say "oh shit", the other 2% are from saskatchewan and say "hold my beer and watch this"

Colorado700R

These Duro Hook-ups are really good thus far, but until I get some more time on them to see how they're wearing, I won't have a full review.

Alkire193

Ive heard of a very interesting tire that has great forward hook up and can still slide well in the corners. Im thinking of giving them a try.

http://www.helmetsandtires.com/p-GBC-AFTERBURN-RADIAL.html

I have a buddy in the pro class for GNCC that says they do great things for him as far as forward hook up. They are a bit heavy but our Raptors can move them and the one pictured is NOT what you are getting, his are much wider with a wider "v-tread" running down the middle. Very nice!

Spartan

AJ RAPTOR

Quote from: Spartan727 on May 02, 2010, 02:07:30 PM
So basically like Mudlites?

mudlites? :confused: :puke: might as well might as well try and slide down a dirt hill naked facefirst with a hardon i hate them tires 6ply my ass they dont even have a ply in the sidewalls got them on the grizz rode 50ft away from the dealer right after they were put on and had a flat a nice hole in the sidewall waste of money that was they dont bite at all.
04 Raptor 660
bored to 673cc
11:1 wiseco high compression piston
port and polished head
stage 2 uni airfilter
stage 2 dynojet intake kit
stock pipe guts removed
protaper atv highbend bars
kenda knarly tires
0 - +3 team firestick axle
powermadd handgards
alx and gytr skids and nerfs

theres 2 kinds of riders, thouse that ride up to there skill level and thouse who crash down to it.

rappyfreak

Have heard nothing but good things on he XCRs, most likely my next tire.
'06 Raptor 700: Yoshi RS-7 full, PCV, Pro Design Foam, EHS lid, Flexx bars, 2" Rox a/v risers, ASV C/5 levers, Powermadds, CCP, HDUSA i3500 +2 a-arms, Rap 700 SE front shocks redone by Wiig, Fox Podium X rear, DWT Drift rear and Hiper beadlocks, Pro Armor XC nerfs, Race grab bar, Tag Agro bumper/chassis skid, PRM 0.25" swinger skid

My name is Iñigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!

Krandall

Quote from: rappyfreak on May 02, 2010, 04:34:43 PM
Have heard nothing but good things on he XCRs, most likely my next tire.

amazing rears, not a fan of their fronts..

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Spartan

The fronts definitely suck, gonna switch to GNCCs when I get the cash for it...My rear tires are about worn out though, barely much tread. I'm surprised, I know I had at least 50% when I started with them and now it's like 20%.

rappyfreak

I looooovvvvveeeeee the grip and sliding on my GNCCs but they wear out really quick. I usually use my HDs for training and the GNCCs for races. Hate the front HDs by the way. I am going to try Razrs in front and GNCC rears this coming weekend.
'06 Raptor 700: Yoshi RS-7 full, PCV, Pro Design Foam, EHS lid, Flexx bars, 2" Rox a/v risers, ASV C/5 levers, Powermadds, CCP, HDUSA i3500 +2 a-arms, Rap 700 SE front shocks redone by Wiig, Fox Podium X rear, DWT Drift rear and Hiper beadlocks, Pro Armor XC nerfs, Race grab bar, Tag Agro bumper/chassis skid, PRM 0.25" swinger skid

My name is Iñigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!

Spartan

I think the ultimate setup I may end up in is a GNCC front with a X-rex rear...I have XCR fronts currently and didn't like how they steered yesterday. I also have a pair of HD fronts that came with the rims and they sucked worse cause they were 23" with a 20" rear.

preddy08

In my mind the ultimate setup would be Razr 2's fronts with Gncc rears.Thats if you have alot of money to blow. Currently I have Razr 2's up front and X'rex rears. So far I realy like the setup. In my mind the Razr 2's/GBC X-Rex's are the PERFECT front tire hands down. The rears I'd really need to do some more testing and "triming". I herd NOTHING but AWSOME reviews for the GNCC, but they are EXPENSIVE and wear fast acording to the reviews. From what I've tried I like the XCR's corner VERY well, but the raptor seemed to blow them off. I ride a mix of sandy trails and HARD packed. On hard packed they wanted up spin, but then again any tire will with 75ish HP. I ran the XCR's for 3 years and had no complaints. At that point the tires were about half tread and I entered the 10hr Ironman race and realized that I may be screwed because the track was VERY mudy. So at the race I picked up a set of X-Rex's. It is nice that the tires are 2lbs lighter than there counter parts and about a 1/3 the cost. Durring the race it was raining and snowing the whole time. Both me and my buddy who was forced to ride my bike in the race LOVED the tires. They hooked up EVERYWHERE and just flat out got the job done. Keep in mind this was in Iowa in wet/tacky conditions. Around here the do pretty damn good in the sandy trails and hard packed dirt. At the end of last year I had a chance to take the X-rex's to Tuttle Creek Kansas (youtube videos for conditions) and found they FLAT OUT SUCKED for wet rocky section!!! My buddy on his YFZR on STOCK tires would make it up stuff that I would'nt. It was flat out scary spinning up these hills and not making it up. I about roll numerous times because I could'nt make it up. My other buddy running Razr I did fine.

I REALLY like the looks of the Bill Ballance editions tires. They're basicly a Razr 2 with every other lug missing. You will pay a premium for the tires though.

I plan on taking my X-rex tires and cutting a "X" in each tire and taking off every other side lug. That should help them slide a little bit better and hook up a bit better everywhere else.

For the money the X-rex's are hard to beat!
Just a little 81hp trail bike.

Spartan

GNCCs don't have a 10" rear size, so I may lean towards X-rexs...I don't do any rock climbing and the most I'd do is a dirt hill. My main concern is getting traction in really sandy trails which is what most of FL trails are. Any recommended place to get them or is Ebay the way to go?

dragonz

Quote from: Colorado700R on May 02, 2010, 11:33:41 AM
These Duro Hook-ups are really good thus far, but until I get some more time on them to see how they're wearing, I won't have a full review.
Have a set I'm about to bin.
On sand they were great when new, but do wear faster than the stock dungloops.
Once 1/2 cut, they definately had lost the advantage they had new, like riding on ice in grassy conditions.
Looking for a set the same or similar for my sand/trail riding.
Race on Holeshot MXR4's (18") Great for motorcross riding on grass/clay/hardpack, but no good for mud (not enough ground clearance apart from anything else)

Will be interesting to see how both types of tyre go in my new build once tuned & complete
2003 Raptor 660LE
719cc with Kenz 13.5:1 piston
X-4 cam & no decomp
39mm FCR's
HV ported head
Ferrea SS Valves
CT Sonic Exhaust
GYTR Clutch

ASR +3+1 A-Arms & Works Tripple Rates
450 Front Calipers
+2 Extended Swingarm
G-Force Axle & Hubs.
Pro Armour Skid Plate
Tusk Nerfs

Gonna be a fun ride now!

Spartan

Quote from: dragonz on May 03, 2010, 02:33:55 AM
Quote from: Colorado700R on May 02, 2010, 11:33:41 AM
Have a set I'm about to bin.
On sand they were great when new, but do wear faster than the stock dungloops.
Once 1/2 cut, they definately had lost the advantage they had new, like riding on ice in grassy conditions.
Looking for a set the same or similar for my sand/trail riding.
Race on Holeshot MXR4's (18") Great for motorcross riding on grass/clay/hardpack, but no good for mud (not enough ground clearance apart from anything else)

Will be interesting to see how both types of tyre go in my new build once tuned & complete

Have you ever tried this tire in dirt/sand mix? I am now opening up my options to 9" rear rims and so the Hook ups are an option now but I do want a tire that will last me a little longer than a "season".