Possible Motor Carnage - please help!

Started by Danny T, April 11, 2010, 02:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny T

During my ride today I began to hear a clunk noise coming from the motor or transmission as if a bolt or something larger came loose and started rattling around. I got towed back once and I noticed it, and even while getting towed the noise was still there with the quad off dinging around. At one point the wheels even locked up (quad still off)

What could this possibly be and where do I start! Never been into the motor or trans before. Thanks in advanced!

Krandall

boy... Sounds like my issue almost. Just for kicks. Pull off the cam cover and see if both timing sprocket bolts are in place. mine dropped into the crank and caused issues.

either way... something is either stoping your transmission or something is stopping your crank. Can you shift through the gears fine?

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Colorado700R

I had the nut come off the end of the crank (Under inspection cover).  Sounded like chaos.  Might check it out

Sand84

That sucks Danny hope its not nothing to serious
2009 Raptor 700- D7 :turbo: :satan:

Custom Carbon Creations

One stop shop for Carbon Covers for Raptor 700!!!

Gunz

I had something similar happen to me...ened up being the damn carrier bearings....

Dent Source LLC

941 +10 w/bar

Danny T

Quote from: Krandall on April 11, 2010, 02:53:34 PM
boy... Sounds like my issue almost. Just for kicks. Pull off the cam cover and see if both timing sprocket bolts are in place. mine dropped into the crank and caused issues.

Yes i can shift fine, but the loud noise happens especially as im shifting.

either way... something is either stoping your transmission or something is stopping your crank. Can you shift through the gears fine?
Quote from: Colorado700R on April 11, 2010, 03:18:38 PM
I had the nut come off the end of the crank (Under inspection cover).  Sounded like chaos.  Might check it out

Will do
Quote from: 4gunz4x4z on April 11, 2010, 10:17:56 PM
I had something similar happen to me...ened up being the damn carrier bearings....

I don't think its carrier bearings because the damage sounds like its being done right in the crank case.

I ended up taking it to my machanic aka local hill billy friend because im a baby when it comes to do with opening the motor.

Will keep you guys posted thanks for the tips

Danny T

wow, ended up being a shot CARRIER! Not sure how i missed it, i guess i was so paranoid it was motor damage, i didn't bother looking. Pieces of the carrier are caked onto the axle, and sprocket hub.
will post pics soon!

Sand84

Custom Carbon Creations

Sand84

Custom Carbon Creations

Danny T

Krandall

dang. glad it was something easy. Pretty sure mine wasn't the carrier...

:lol:

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Danny T

This is the carrier housing i ordered

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280489661285&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

The old carrier is completely trashed, will i need anything other than this? Seals or what not? Spacer? Or just slide this in and then put the axle back in.

Thanks!

Peelz

Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Danny T

Peelz

you really did a number on that one.  damn. do you ride alot of water?
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"