Slight Idle Issue

Started by MO RAPTOR 700, March 24, 2010, 04:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MO RAPTOR 700

Did a bunch of eng. work in signature over the winter to the raptor. The PCV was mapped and run good and idled ok. Anyway last Wednesday had it dyno tuned so before I went to the dyno I put a PCValve in it and a Iridium plug in it. Idle seemed to change some with the PCValve was put in it. It seems the idle wants to hunt up and down anywhere from 1400-2000 rpms mostly 16-1800rpm and occassionaly it will almost died but it catches itself. I have seen the idle drop to 1200 then come back up. I have had my laptop hooked to the PCV to get these numbers. If anybody as any info I would appreciate it. I'm not blaming this idle issue on the dyno tuner either. Thanks
2007 Raptor 700SE    Black/Orange
Barker In frame Duals, TRF intake, PCV, 11:5.1 CP Tech Piston, HCIII Cam, Ported Head (TRF), KDS +3 TB, Dynatek Programmable Ign.
15 tooth front sprocket
HID Lighting
Pro-Armor nerf bars
A-Arms skid plates

Spartan

Did you check your TPS? Or calibrate it on the PC5?

MO RAPTOR 700

Quote from: Spartan727 on March 24, 2010, 05:25:41 PM
Did you check your TPS? Or calibrate it on the PC5?
Yes and NO
TPS is set at .68v. Did change the idle voltage to .67 and can remember want the full throttle reads but it not the 4 or 5 volts maybe 3.XXX something. Have to remember I'm new at this and little scared to change things and screw them up worse than it was. Give some input on how to calibrate it. THanks

Might add I've read on here or somewhere that the cold idle screw should be out 5 turns mine is only 3.5 turns out with the TPS set at .68.
Barker In frame Duals, TRF intake, PCV, 11:5.1 CP Tech Piston, HCIII Cam, Ported Head (TRF), KDS +3 TB, Dynatek Programmable Ign.
15 tooth front sprocket
HID Lighting
Pro-Armor nerf bars
A-Arms skid plates

Spartan

My cold idle screw is about that much out too...My TPS only goes to about 3+ v too when I calibrate it. On the PC5 you can't calibrate the TPS with the motor off (dumb) so just run it with the motor warmed up and run calibrate, hold it WOT for a second then it should read the whole spectrum. This is prob not the solution if you checked the physical TPS but I've heard of stranger fixes to odd idle issues.

Other problems I can think of are throttle cable moving/binding, fuel octane, TB out of spec...Hopefully someone smarter than me will chime in (Paging Phucker, Troy, Aaron, Roy...)

Krandall

you can't calibrate a pc5 w/ the quad not running?!  :confused: :confused:

PC3 for the win I guess. 8)

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Kamakazi

and i just found out today you cant do a map compare on the PCV either  :(
98% of north americans that hit the ditch say "oh shit", the other 2% are from saskatchewan and say "hold my beer and watch this"

MO RAPTOR 700

Alright guys quiet talking smack about the PC5 and help me fix my issue.  :lol:  Thanks
15 tooth front sprocket
HID Lighting
Pro-Armor nerf bars
A-Arms skid plates

Gunz

Your voltage is perfect... .67v

Does this happen after it is warmed up? Your cable is tight right?

Dent Source LLC

941 +10 w/bar

1badazz_700r

you can calibrate the pc5 with the motor not running ??? the key has to be turned on :rofl: thats how i do mine,and no problems.mine is set at .67 and at WOT it reads 4.125. I dont use a voltmeter to set mine either. I hook it to the laptop loosten the TPS and move the TPS until it reads .67 tighten it back up and then do WOT. This is also how jon at racersedge sets theres too

Just a little 778
105.5 WK cylinder CP 11:1
hotrods +5 crank
racersedge +2 head,with webb4
54mmTB with custom intake
sparks X-6exhaust
PC5/w autotune
dynatek programmable
slingshot lockup
+3 stock swingarm
hiper dual beadlocks/w gncc holeshots
flexx bars,burgard+2stem/w antivibe
ASV's
odi's

MO RAPTOR 700

Gunz yes its worse when its warmed up and if your talking throttle cable I believe it is anyway it was but I will check.

1badazz I will check it or do it tonight calibrate it anyway.

On another note I did unhook the dynatek ign and didn't change the problem and I did remove the iridium plug put stock bad in maybe not as bad on the idle issue. I will hook the laptop up tonight to check the rpm. What gap do you guys run on a iridium plug? I put it to stock I think about.030.

Thanks Guys keep it coming  :thumbs:
15 tooth front sprocket
HID Lighting
Pro-Armor nerf bars
A-Arms skid plates

Spartan

Umm you shouldn't gap iridium plugs, you can mess up the electrode, that is what it says right on the box...This ain't a V8 you're working on.

As for calibrating the PC5, when I turn the key on and check it, it does not get any throttle input for more than a split second, even with the starter kill set to on as well.

Did you try removing the  valve as well to see if that isn't causing a vacuum issue?

1badazz_700r

the PC5 needs to be hooked to your laptop,as this will give the pc5 power even with the key off.In fact you can send maps to the pc5 with the key off. If it helps any mine has idled like this ever since I started modding,which started 2 weeks after i bought it in sept,2007. Its strange because to standthere and listen to it you cant tell the idle is fluctuatingbut when your looking at the laptop you can see rpm's fluctuating. So i pay it no attention anymore

Just a little 778
hotrods +5 crank
sparks X-6exhaust
PC5/w autotune
dynatek programmable
slingshot lockup
+3 stock swingarm
ASV's
odi's

Spartan

I get the power to send the maps and watch Rpms but with the motor off I have no signal from the tps

MO RAPTOR 700

Quote from: Spartan727 on March 25, 2010, 05:45:24 AM
Umm you shouldn't gap iridium plugs, you can mess up the electrode, that is what it says right on the box...This ain't a V8 you're working on.

As for calibrating the PC5, when I turn the key on and check it, it does not get any throttle input for more than a split second, even with the starter kill set to on as well.

Did you try removing the  valve as well to see if that isn't causing a vacuum issue?

**Hell I didn't read the box with the plug. You might say I just checked the gap didn't move it. Whats the difference from a V8 and single cyl. plug, a plug is a plug just didn't know you wasn't suppose to gap a single cyl. plug. Anyway learned something!!! :thumbs:
15 tooth front sprocket
HID Lighting
Pro-Armor nerf bars
A-Arms skid plates

1badazz_700r

Quote from: Spartan727 on March 25, 2010, 11:06:53 AM
I get the power to send the maps and watch Rpms but with the motor off I have no signal from the tps

Im confused. It sounds like something is not hooked up correctly ??? Mine with the key on and not running has signal and im also able calibrate with out the quad running

Just a little 778
hotrods +5 crank
sparks X-6exhaust
PC5/w autotune
dynatek programmable
slingshot lockup
+3 stock swingarm