So I bought some paddles...Should I get different ones????

Started by r00st, February 17, 2010, 09:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r00st

I just read through the stickied thread about paddles and R/O and swingers and what not. VERY informative!

I didnt want to plug it up with my question/responses so I thought I would start a new thread.

Deal is...im a flat lander and every year (except last...too busy) A bunch of us Illinoisans are heading out to little sahara/moab to ride for a week. Every year we have gone I have been the fastest on the hill (of our entire 15+ quad group and usually on the hill as its not very busy at all in JUNE lol).

I have had many diff paddle tire set ups on my DS' in the past but now im on the rappy. My mods are:
+ 1 KDS head (really hogged out...was done by someone else not very well so Kenny hooked me up and had to really open her up to fix someone elses mistake lol)
RJ cam with beehives
CP "tech" 11.5:1
Dynatek with custom curved
FCI tube with HUGE No Toil on the end
+3 TB
Barkers standard core duals

Originally I dyno'd (with crappy a NO SEAL ring package and some pretty shitty head work) @ 55/45 on 6 ply razrs. Since the updated head/piston I have gained about 4-5 bike lengths over my previous lead on my buddies unchanged LTR 500 kit. So...from seat of the pants and the distance gained over my buddy I would say I am a solid 65/50 give or a take.

I am on stock swinger and am 215.  I purchased some Hauler Extremes in size 20x10x8 8 paddle I think I threw them on 8x8's. After reading that thread I pretty much realize these are exactly the opposite of what I should have bought (22's instead of 20's, maybe a bit wider tire on a narrower rim and get reg haulers in probably a 7 paddle instead of 8).

I really like to drag and spend probably 20% of my time at LS (utah) on the hill racing whoever will run me (for fun nothing serious).

Due to the fact I get to the dunes ONCE a year should I just run what I have or would it be worth selling these (brand new) and keeping my eye out for something like a 22x11x8 7-8 paddle regular haulers? If its going to be a HUGE difference up the long fingers/face I think it would be worth changing out. BUT im not sure...

On my old  DS730 (72hp/61tq but every bit of 525 lbs) a change in paddles from 9 paddle extremes on billet wheels to some 8 paddle reg haulers on .160's netted another 4 lengths to the guy that bought the bike from me.

Sorry for the book...but I have sank PLENTY of cash into this beast and figure the dunes are the one place I get to FINALLY open her up for more than 3 seconds so I may as well take full advantage of the week out there.

*EDIT* I am sure most of you true paddle gurus will cringe at the site of this...but has anyone run these? Shitty?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Sand-Hauler-Paddle-Tire-Set-2-Rear-ATV-Paddle-Tire_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4a9ea9f853QQitemZ320489519187QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

21x12x8 8 paddle reg haulers on the 8x8's I have now seem like a pretty good combo.
2007 Raptor 700 SE
With some SHTUFF

Colorado700R

Stop through Colorado on the way and you can borrow my 7 paddle 22's anytime bro. the 20's ain't doing your bike justice.

22's are gonna be a mega improvement

Aaron

r00st

Thanks thats an awfully nice offer! BUT we take 80 through Nebraska/Wyoming.

Hmmm I think im going to start looking for the 22's... 22x11x8's? Reg hauler 7 paddle sounds like the best combo. Going to be tough finding that exact combo used lol. I guess 8 paddle haulers would be ok too to help hook off the line without being too horrible at high rpm. Seems 8 paddles are a lot more common then 7's.

2007 Raptor 700 SE
With some SHTUFF

Peelz

I actually preferred the 20's. But.....I was bone stock! Besides, a raptor looks less like a blaster or warrior with smaller rear tires. :lol: SOrry personal preference. :thumbs:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

fireman5166

I am with Aaron on this one. 22s are the way to go I had 20s. key word had.   :lol:
07 Raptor 700
pcIII
hot cams III
barker duals
rocket factory intake w/K&N
Dynatek programmable  Ignition
Iridium Plug
evac valve
renthal bars
asv
ac nerfs
fuel atv bumber
kenda gnarlys
Itp sand stars
22" haulers 8 paddles
12,13,14,15, tooth front sprockets
38,40, rear sprockets

DL700

a 21x 12 x8 7 paddle SKAT TRAK hauler on a 8x7 wheel works awesome for a bike up to 75 hp on the stock arm... :nana:
gives a bit or spin off the line to make it launch hard,,,,even a 6 will work
dont waste our money on the off brand stuff as it will have NO resale value//

for your tire needs... 818-500-SAND www.sandtoyzunlimited.com
CUERVO RACING

Mad Dog

Flatlanders need/want/can use more paddles than the hill shooters.  Most of the guys giving advice online have their experience on the hills or in 300'.  While the 20" isn't the best for racing, they will handle much better than a ballooned 22" on a skinny little rim.

I ran 10 paddle 20x10-10 extremes when everyone else was running 8 paddle 21x11-8 and I beat them at Silver Lake and other sandy michigan venues.  I think you'll be fine with what you have and don't sweat the recommendations too much.

Colorado700R

Quote from: r00st on February 17, 2010, 10:15:45 PM
Thanks thats an awfully nice offer! BUT we take 80 through Nebraska/Wyoming.

Hmmm I think im going to start looking for the 22's... 22x11x8's? Reg hauler 7 paddle sounds like the best combo. Going to be tough finding that exact combo used lol. I guess 8 paddle haulers would be ok too to help hook off the line without being too horrible at high rpm. Seems 8 paddles are a lot more common then 7's.

Well, if you decide to shoot to Moab first I-80 to I-76 to Denver, then I-70 accross to MOAB let me know. I could meet you in Denver if I had enough lead time.

And IMO, the 7 paddle 22's are the way to go, especially since you gonna lose some ponies up at altitude.

And definatley, Sandtoysunlimited is a great resource for paddles

r00st

Thanks for the info guys!

So... I found some 22x11x8 73RO 7 paddle SLS mounted on douglas 125 8x7's...Cheapest he will go is 325 shipped. They are brand new, never touched the sand.

I looked up what the paddles cost and cheapest on ebay is 321 shipped. The douglas wheels figure  70 before shipping. Granted .125's are great for dragging but I usually like to run 160's as I jump some and found .125's dent up/bend pretty easy.

I guess on a 22x11x8 with that huge side wall and being a tiny 8 inch rim should help with preventing bending.

Being such a huge sidewall how do those run when duning and not just dragging? I guess I could buy the pair and take two sets out but changing tires is a pain so I would rather have a DO ALL tire.

Any input??
2007 Raptor 700 SE
With some SHTUFF

Peelz

.125's aren't bad. chances are. if you hit something hard enough to bend a 125, the 160 will bend too. Just jumping won't bend a .125 rim. well i shouldn't say won't, but it shouldn't. I beat the crap out of some .125's still kicking. Sand is a little more forgiving

You will float better on the surface, and sling a shitload of sand.  :clap:  Turning with the big straight paddle is a bit different. Giving it gas makes it go uber straight, the v paddles you can gun it to turn. I don't care for the straights, but most folks do.

seems like quite alot of $ to me, but I do not drag race.   :thumbs:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

SprinterX

Quote from: r00st on February 17, 2010, 09:22:03 PM

21x12x8 8 paddle reg haulers on the 8x8's I have now seem like a pretty good combo.

Same tire set-up I have except mine are the extremes. I shoot more hills vs being a flatlander. They spin nicely w/o bogging the engine and I can pull all the way to the top.
I also have a set of itp sandstars if I want to carve and play.
08 Raptor 700

RE +1 head, X4 cam, TQS 11.5 piston, KDS +3 TB & evac, FCI,
Barkers duals, PC5 with A/T, Dyna Programmable, DL700 tune.
+2 I-Shock arms, Rock axle, reworked shocks, GTT link, +4 oem ext'd swinger
Elka Sys5 Dampner, Fasst Flexx on Rox anti-vibe risers, TT HIDs
Razr2 on HiPers, Skat 21/12/8 8pdl extremes, Sandstar frts
Roll bumper, PA guards/nerfs/skids

Krandall

Quote from: PeelsSE2 on February 21, 2010, 11:08:12 PM
.125's aren't bad. chances are. if you hit something hard enough to bend a 125, the 160 will bend too. Just jumping won't bend a .125 rim. well i shouldn't say won't, but it shouldn't. I beat the crap out of some .125's still kicking. Sand is a little more forgiving

You will float better on the surface, and sling a shitload of sand.  :clap:  Turning with the big straight paddle is a bit different. Giving it gas makes it go uber straight, the v paddles you can gun it to turn. I don't care for the straights, but most folks do.

That's the exact issue I ran into last year. I ran Hauler 9-Paddle 21-12-8 Extremes.

I had fun @ silver lake and all. But really for straight up riding, I didn't have nearly as much fun as I had on my sand stars. Like Peels said. I'm not a dragster. I like to dune, jump, whip the quad around, and just have a great time. For the price sand stars are awesome tires. Just don't expect them to be the best. :)

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

SprinterX

Quote from: Krandall on February 23, 2010, 08:18:09 AM

For the price sand stars are awesome tires. Just don't expect them to be the best. :)

Agreed. There is a distinct difference with them for climbing tho and they are heavy.
08 Raptor 700

RE +1 head, X4 cam, TQS 11.5 piston, KDS +3 TB & evac, FCI,
Barkers duals, PC5 with A/T, Dyna Programmable, DL700 tune.
+2 I-Shock arms, Rock axle, reworked shocks, GTT link, +4 oem ext'd swinger
Elka Sys5 Dampner, Fasst Flexx on Rox anti-vibe risers, TT HIDs
Razr2 on HiPers, Skat 21/12/8 8pdl extremes, Sandstar frts
Roll bumper, PA guards/nerfs/skids

Peelz

Quote from: Krandall on February 23, 2010, 08:18:09 AM
Quote from: PeelsSE2 on February 21, 2010, 11:08:12 PM

That's the exact issue I ran into last year. I ran Hauler 9-Paddle 21-12-8 Extremes.

I had fun @ silver lake and all. But really for straight up riding, I didn't have nearly as much fun as I had on my sand stars. Like Peels said. I'm not a dragster. I like to dune, jump, whip the quad around, and just have a great time. For the price sand stars are awesome tires. Just don't expect them to be the best. :)

yeah, you didn't even realize you were throwing that sand either....dick. roosting an old man while he gets a drink of water. :bird:

for once/twice a year duning. I wouldn't spend that much on paddles. I have two sets of paddles. Sand sharks (sucky, but work ok) I paid 100 on rims shipped for those. ANd then the AMS paddles (not bad!) I bought from dabigbratj for 50 on rims! I have no issues. And have good fun on them.   :thumbs: never get stuck, and even hold my own racing assuming the other bike isn't modded :lol:

r00st

Thanks for the input guys. I decided to just 'run what I brung" and run the 20 inch 8 paddle extremes. I figure the stiffer/shorter sidewall should help me whip it around a bit while still giving me decent forward bite.

If they hook too much going up the long hills I will just run a few more pounds in them to lessen the grip. Im sure those SLS 22's would give me another 2 lengths on the hill but those 2 lengths are not worth 300 bucks to me right now lol. I will already be the fastest I guess I can deal with being 5-10 lengths ahead of everyone instead of 7-12   :P
2007 Raptor 700 SE
With some SHTUFF