Have a file that is not allowing me to run a full virus/malware/spyware scan.

Started by Diggs59, February 07, 2010, 08:19:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diggs59

My laptop is freezing up on the same file during each of the scans. I've researched the issue and evidently there's a way to get into your registry and manually delete them but I'm afraid I'll jack something up attempting to do it. Is there an "so easy a caveman could do it" manual for this? The computer forums I looked at seem to be too far advanced for me to understand what they're telling others to do..... :confused:

Here's the link that shows (what I think) the fix is. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic255272.html

I can't figure out though.....That isn't the same file that mine is freezing up on but I think the fix is the same as far as getting rid of the problem goes. Any help with this.......in Engrish please? :rofl:

Peelz

if you know the file name....it has to be deleted in DOS mode. That is how we had to do it. Can't remember the exact procedure, but it was hefe that helped me through it.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Diggs59

Quote from: PeelsSE2 on February 08, 2010, 08:39:15 AM
if you know the file name....it has to be deleted in DOS mode. That is how we had to do it. Can't remember the exact procedure, but it was hefe that helped me through it.

What is this DOS mode Peels and how do you get to it?

Krandall

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Diggs59

Quote from: Krandall on February 08, 2010, 09:05:53 AM
start --> run --> type "CMD"

Once I get there what do I do? I have the black box up now.

Peelz

command prompt.

but like I said, I forgot the commands to get find files. :(

sorry.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Diggs59

Quote from: PeelsSE2 on February 08, 2010, 09:09:47 AM
command prompt.

sorry.

Thanks anyway....It just really irks me when I don't understand what the fack is going on....I need a computer class or 2. :help:

Peelz

Quote from: Diggs59 on February 08, 2010, 09:11:33 AM
command prompt.

sorry.

Thanks anyway....It just really irks me when I don't understand what the fack is going on....I need a computer class or 2. :help:

do you know exactly which file it is?

if so, Hefe knows the command to find it.

Diggs59

Quote from: PeelsSE2 on February 08, 2010, 09:43:51 AM
Quote from: Diggs59 on February 08, 2010, 09:11:33 AM
command prompt.

sorry.

do you know exactly which file it is?

if so, Hefe knows the command to find it.

Yes, I do know the file it freezes on.

Krandall

can you give me the path that it shows when it freezes? IE: C:\Program Files\Punk\Junk\...

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Diggs59

Quote from: Krandall on February 08, 2010, 09:52:55 AM
can you give me the path that it shows when it freezes? IE: C:\Program Files\Punk\Junk\...

Sure, I'm running a scan now so that I can get the entire path for you. I'll have to write it all down with pen and paper as I can not copy and paste the path after it freezes. :mad: Give me a few minutes

Krandall

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Diggs59

Quote from: Krandall on February 08, 2010, 09:57:44 AM
word. 8)

Alright after the scan finally froze and I wrote down the file, then I restarted the Laptop AND a disk-check ran its course (with no issues noted) I finally have the file name. Here it is:

C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-naturallanguage6_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6001.22211_none_9e5aa34...\NlsData004e.dll

This little bastard ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ is a pain in my ass! :hair:

Hopefully this will help.....Thanks for trying to assist everyone.

Krandall

when I search issues w/ that specific file I can't find anything. I am always a bit hesitant on deleting .dll files as they don't usually cause issues. If you follow that file path so you can see the file. Can you delete it manually? just let it go to the recycle bin temporarily. And see if the computer runs fine/scans go as they should?

or does it not allow you to delete manually?

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Diggs59

Quote from: Krandall on February 08, 2010, 10:50:06 AM
when I search issues w/ that specific file I can't find anything. I am always a bit hesitant on deleting .dll files as they don't usually cause issues. If you follow that file path so you can see the file. Can you delete it manually? just let it go to the recycle bin temporarily. And see if the computer runs fine/scans go as they should?

or does it not allow you to delete manually?

How do you even delete files manually? I have no idea on how to even get to where you'd do that? ??? :lol: