Key Relocation Options

Started by Ironhorse, January 21, 2010, 09:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironhorse

I just put on new pro-taper EVO bars and a Houser plus 1.25" stem and now the plastic piece that covered the bars won't fit. I saw someone the said they used their Dr. D reverse kit and modded the plug to fit the key, but I don't have room on my bars for the Dr. D lever. I used ODI grips and they are too long, even pushed my brake housing onto the curved portion of the bar.

Open to any advice you might have, please post pics so I can see what you did. I want a clean looking professional installation approach.

:help:

NoWhereToRide

2009 Yamaha Raptor 700R SE

Ironhorse

The photobucket image says the account is inactive. Looks like you moved it to where the reverse knob was, but where did you put the Dr. D. lever at? It looks like you have the same grip setup I have.

Ironhorse

I see how this is set up. This is a good idea. I think I will take this route. Thanks for the info.

Spartan

I'm using a JVR billet key relocator in my reverse hole with flexx bars and a Houser + 1.25 stem, with Dr. D lever and have NO fitment issues. Also using ODI grips

1badazz_700r

Im wondering if you got motorcycle bars accidently instead of atv? Motocross bars are not as wide as atv bars and would give you problems with fitting everything on, just a thought

Just a little 778
105.5 WK cylinder CP 11:1
hotrods +5 crank
racersedge +2 head,with webb4
54mmTB with custom intake
sparks X-6exhaust
PC5/w autotune
dynatek programmable
slingshot lockup
+3 stock swingarm
hiper dual beadlocks/w gncc holeshots
flexx bars,burgard+2stem/w antivibe
ASV's
odi's

wobble

Quote from: Ironhorse on January 21, 2010, 09:15:24 PM
I just put on new pro-taper EVO bars and a Houser plus 1.25" stem and now the plastic piece that covered the bars won't fit. I saw someone the said they used their Dr. D reverse kit and modded the plug to fit the key, but I don't have room on my bars for the Dr. D lever. I used ODI grips and they are too long, even pushed my brake housing onto the curved portion of the bar.

Open to any advice you might have, please post pics so I can see what you did. I want a clean looking professional installation approach.

:help:

I had the same problem with my ODI grips when I ran Pro Taper Contour Carmichael bend bars (same width as yours). I ended up switching to the Spider A3 grips and it fit much better.

I also installed the JVR key relocator when I installed my Dr. D. reverse lever.

Ironhorse

I did get Windham bend EVO bars, but I measured them to be the same width as the stock bars. Maybe the bend just tapers off faster. I just ordered some pro-taper contour "Raptor 700" bars, so we will see how they line up. I'm starting to pile up an inventory of bars in the garage  :P

I like the joker ring for the key, but seems a little ludacris  :'( to pay $55 for it. I guess we'll see how it goes. If it looks trashy I'll probably break down and bling it out.

wobble

I went a cheaper route when I had my 660. I cut a hole in the Dr. D. plug and put my key in it. Seemed to work just fine.

1stwarrior95

Quote from: wobble on January 23, 2010, 07:50:47 PM
I went a cheaper route when I had my 660. I cut a hole in the Dr. D. plug and put my key in it. Seemed to work just fine.

That's what I did too.

Siliconed it for extra strength. Probably would be fine without it though.

Ironhorse

Thanks for posting your photos. I will probably finish mine this weekend. I have a little twist I think will work that I will post some photos of. :clap:

XC_Raptor700R

Quote from: wobble on January 23, 2010, 07:50:47 PM

Same here on my 700.
2006 XC Raptor 700R, Greg's ATV suspension, rear link, Houser +.5" MGC a-arms, anti-vibe stem, flag, Pro Taper bars, full HMF, PCIII, 21/20 RazrII's on DWT Ultimate's

www.gregsatv.com

Ironhorse

Those of you that put the key in your fender, are you unscrewing it and takign it out when you take the plastic off, or did you put in a quick disconnect on the wiring?

wobble

The factory wiring has a quick disconnect connector. Just disconnect it and pull the plastic. No need to remove it from the fender.

Ironhorse

Cool. I hadn't dove the deep into it yet to find that. Thanks!! :thumbs: