Anybody getting an RV, Toyhauler, or Camper?

Started by Gunz, January 10, 2010, 05:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gunz

Anybody getting an RV, Toyhauler, or Camper this year? Just wondering. I'm gonna give it some serious thought about trying to pick up an RV this year. Nothing new, just something to hit the dunes with or take the family camping in.

Dent Source LLC

941 +10 w/bar

Krandall

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

preddy08

I just got rid of a 28' All American Sport, and I vow to never own one again! They make trips very expensive. I got 9MPG pulling the damn thing. It only held 2 quads. So I had to pull a trailer behind the camper and put a quad in the bed of the truck. Food, gas, water, propane, storage, wear on your truck. Its just not worth it to me. Hitching and unhitching is a TOTAL PITA when you're pulling two trailer with quads.

Everyone trashes you chit and when you get pissed at them for breaking something in the camper, then some how your the dick ???

Just get a motel :lol:

This last time we went to Saint A's we took a motor home and my flat bed trailer. It was a 100x better! MPG was pretty chitty, but overall a way better experience.

Just a little 81hp trail bike.

Gunz

^ Did you guys make it back in time to clean it and rent it out? Your boy was pissed. CRIPES!

Dent Source LLC

941 +10 w/bar

preddy08

Quote from: 4gunz4x4z on January 11, 2010, 08:25:42 AM
^ Did you guys make it back in time to clean it and rent it out? Your boy was pissed. CRIPES!

Dude I dont know what his problem was :mad: We got back at like 10-11 the next morning. The rental didn't go out untill 5 that night.

That whole ordeal kinda pissed me off  :(
Just a little 81hp trail bike.

Gunz

Dent Source LLC

941 +10 w/bar

Raptoracer24

We're trying to get rid of our 28 foot Gearbox toyhauler right now..
Just sold my 250
08 700
Stock :(

disco

You don't like it or just not enough use to justify it?

I'd like to get one, one of these days.  Gotta get some stuff paid off first.

Question:  Why do bumper pulls seem so much more popular than 5th wheels?  I know a 5th wheel will pull better.  Is it because a bumper pull frees the bed and requires no mods to the truck?
mostly stock with a 12t sprocket of fury

Raptoracer24

Quote from: disco on January 22, 2010, 09:58:36 AM

I'd like to get one, one of these days.  Gotta get some stuff paid off first.

Question:  Why do bumper pulls seem so much more popular than 5th wheels?  I know a 5th wheel will pull better.  Is it because a bumper pull frees the bed and requires no mods to the truck?

It's really up to what they want.. Most people that need huge 30 or 40+ ft trailers want a 5th wheel cause it pulls better but then don't really make a lot of 5th wheels under 25 ft.
We just don't use it enough and want to downsize just a bit.. my dad wants to get a v-nose trailer.
Just sold my 250
08 700
Stock :(

Oilfield_Mafia

Definately go with a 5th wheel.. I pull my 36' toybox out to the rig, and I stay in it for the whole job, plus I can throw my Rappy or a couple dirtbikes in the back. Mine has the smaller toybox that I use for an office out here. It it great. And my duramax gets about 14 mpg pulling it. It only weighs 14,000# so its not too bad. Pulls great and straight. Hooking and unhooking is a breeze.. If you want to haul more than 2 atv's in the toyhauler, youre gonna need a BIG Camper.. like a Raptor Brand. They are AWESOME! But then you are looking in the $70,000.00 and up range. Take your time picking out the right camper. You want at LEAST a 7 gal hot water tank, if not a 10. Also be sure to look underneath the camper. Make sure it is covered completely underneath, or you will have to worry about tearing crap up or it freezing up in the winter. Good solid oak cabinets are a MUST if you plan on dragging it often. Dont setle for the crappy cabinets that have the plyboard stapled to the bottom of the cabinets. and The less carpet the better. I love having all linoleum. I can clean my whole camper with just a broom and dustpan.
Member #1 of Team Prick - GTFOMW

Horsepower is like a condom, I'd rather have it and not need it.. Than need it and not have it.

MO RAPTOR 700

I'm looking to buy a 24' enclosed trailer. Just depends on if I find a good deal on one.
2007 Raptor 700SE    Black/Orange
Barker In frame Duals, TRF intake, PCV, 11:5.1 CP Tech Piston, HCIII Cam, Ported Head (TRF), KDS +3 TB, Dynatek Programmable Ign.
15 tooth front sprocket
HID Lighting
Pro-Armor nerf bars
A-Arms skid plates

Headrope

Quote from: disco on January 22, 2010, 09:58:36 AM

I'd like to get one, one of these days.  Gotta get some stuff paid off first.

Question:  Why do bumper pulls seem so much more popular than 5th wheels?  I know a 5th wheel will pull better.  Is it because a bumper pull frees the bed and requires no mods to the truck?

Answer: A fifth wheels pulls much better but a ball hitch prevents the trailer from twisting laterally - important if you are making turns over uneven ground.

I rock a bumper-pull because 1) I have to 'side hill' my truck a little to back the trailer it into its parking spot on my property. The bank angle is less than 10 degrees but would twist a fifth wheel trailer over time; B) It keeps the bed of the truck free for hauling the dogs and other gear.

Two '06 700R SEs

Both with:                                          One also with:                   
GYT-R Sport front grab bar                   GYT-R Swingarm guard
GYT-R Engine/frame skid plate             GYT-R Nerf bars
GYT-R A-arm guards                           OMI Steering stem mount
GYT-R Aluminum radiator guard            ODI Lock-on grips

Out Back Welding

I really want to get a good sized RV, but i dont know if my truck can handle one.

I have a dodge ram 2005 5.7L V-8 Hemi, with tow package(as far as i can tell, this consists of the tow/haul button and thats it, so it may not have a tow package, but it has that and it works).

disco

I believe there are 5th wheel hitches that now pivot and rock a few degrees so you can side hill.

If nothing else, on that Ram put an extra transmission cooler on it.  I'm sure with the tow package it already comes with one but it never hurts to help it out.  I need to do this with my truck as well.  I have a trans temp gauge and it seems to get hot for no reason.

mostly stock with a 12t sprocket of fury

SprinterX

I had a 28' MH with a trailer for years when we raced 1/4 midgets with our kids up and down the west coast. It was used 3 of 4 w/e a month and was easier to justify the expense, ie: initial cost, repairs, insurance, operation costs, etc.

I now have a slide-in 10' camper for my F250 and pull an custom ordered 18' enclosed trailer. While the camper is smaller than the MH it works very well for the wife and I, and no longer becomes the "go to" place for everyone. This greatly helps reduce damage from the accidental party animal.  :rofl:

I find this set-up idea for many reasons.
1) I have a pick up I can use as needed either for the camper, cargo or the quad for single outings.
2) The camper is a nicely equiped 10' unit with a large fridge, queen bed, shower, etc. I can drop it off where ever we camp and still have use of the truck for trips.
3) My 18' trailer has interior cabinets, full awning, 12 & 110V electrics, alarm, extra tall and tows great. I can easily carry four quads with gear/spares, haul furniture or transport a buddies 32 Roadster to the car show.

What works so well for me with this package is that each unit has multiple capabilities/functions and are not hugely expensive. I can also sell each far easier that one big ass, single purpose RV.
08 Raptor 700

RE +1 head, X4 cam, TQS 11.5 piston, KDS +3 TB & evac, FCI,
Barkers duals, PC5 with A/T, Dyna Programmable, DL700 tune.
+2 I-Shock arms, Rock axle, reworked shocks, GTT link, +4 oem ext'd swinger
Elka Sys5 Dampner, Fasst Flexx on Rox anti-vibe risers, TT HIDs
Razr2 on HiPers, Skat 21/12/8 8pdl extremes, Sandstar frts
Roll bumper, PA guards/nerfs/skids