Help computer studs, I got a virus!

Started by double06, December 26, 2009, 09:16:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

double06

Well, as the topic states, I've managed to eff up my laptop.  :(    I got this virus, I think the name of it was worm.W32.Skynet or something like that.  It caused a bunch of popups to come up saying that my computer was infected and they wanted me to go to some platinumvirus protection site to pay for it etc etc..  I did some snooping on Norton with my desktop and found out I needed to start it in safe mode.  So I go back to the laptop and was able to get the msconfig open and selected the safe mode for next start up.  Ok when I start it now, the black screen comes up with the options to start in safe mode, safe mode with networking, or normal mode.  Well, thats as far is it goes now.  :(  When I select safe mode or anyone of those choices, it trys to start and then cycles back to the black screen again.  So, I'm stuck.  Help        The operating system is windows XP.
I got a '06 with some KDS Racing bells and whistles  :grin_nod:

Peelz

had the same one. Hefe had to help me delete the files in DOS. Would be cool if shout history was still there from last saturday!
Nasty little program. ::)

there was one file called "dldwcoms.exe" something, and another that was a random weird number. Can't help more than that.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Diggs59

Quote from: double06 on December 26, 2009, 09:16:45 AM
Well, as the topic states, I've managed to eff up my laptop.  :(    I got this virus, I think the name of it was worm.W32.Skynet or something like that.  It caused a bunch of popups to come up saying that my computer was infected and they wanted me to go to some platinumvirus protection site to pay for it etc etc..  I did some snooping on Norton with my desktop and found out I needed to start it in safe mode.  So I go back to the laptop and was able to get the msconfig open and selected the safe mode for next start up.  Ok when I start it now, the black screen comes up with the options to start in safe mode, safe mode with networking, or normal mode.  Well, thats as far is it goes now.  :(  When I select safe mode or anyone of those choices, it trys to start and then cycles back to the black screen again.  So, I'm stuck.  Help        The operating system is windows XP.

Do yourself a favor and delete the Norton CRAP from your computer now. Then go to http://www.avast.com/eng/programs.htmland download the "avast home edition". Follow the instructions (there will be a license key you'll have to enter but it's easy) and after you finish it will ask you to schedule "a boot time scan". Do this and let it run the scan and when it's finished your P.C. will be fixed. Bank it. I've used avast for years now and do NOT get virus' anymore. I got them all the time with Norton, it's CRAP. Don't be worried about it being a "free version" because it is 1,000 times better than anything Norton can have you pay for. Bank it.

double06

Thanks guys but ended up having to nuke the whole computer and start over...  :(  Long story short, my computer was encrypted so all of the boot up security disks couldn't get into the computer to find the virus and delete it.  Oh well, live and learn.  Looks like I will be moving to avast!

Krandall

which encryption software do you use? I'm using Safeboot but I can get into the boot up disks still.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

double06

Quote from: Krandall on December 27, 2009, 03:50:36 PM
which encryption software do you use? I'm using Safeboot but I can get into the boot up disks still.

PM'd ya.

Hefe

any decent computer repair place could fix that for under 100 bucks

preddy08

Quote from: Hefe on December 28, 2009, 12:15:10 PM
any decent computer repair place could fix that for under 100 bucks

Hefe will charge ya 180 and it come with a free destop picture of himself in a christmas nighty holding a misletoe over his crotch  :thumbs:
Just a little 81hp trail bike.

Hefe

I knew you would like that pic Pwedders

funyun

Im not much of help on the computer side but i am a stud if that helps at all  8)

Peelz

Quote from: funyun on December 29, 2009, 01:06:06 PM
Im not much of help on the computer side but i am a homo if that helps at all  8)

yes, yes it does thanks fun-dip.  :thumbs:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"