First fire on new Piston ?

Started by MORAPTOR700, December 16, 2009, 04:26:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MORAPTOR700

Wondering when you guys replace your piston/rings with a new piston same bore and no honing how do you all seat/seal the rings in?
Seat the rings like you stole it or be gently on it varing the rpms and so on.
Thanks Tony  :thumbs:
2007 Raptor 700SE    Black/Orange

Mad Dog

I would still use a brush hone or scotchbrite/steelwool to break the glaze.

Vary rpms in the mid/upper range but stay off absolute WOT.

Colorado700R

Quote from: Mad Dog on December 16, 2009, 04:43:15 PM

+1

MORAPTOR700

Quote from: Mad Dog on December 16, 2009, 04:43:15 PM

I've already put the motor back together and didn't do anything to the cylinder. It have alot of crosshatch in the cylinder. It was kinda shiney but no glaze in it. The bike probably only has 30 hrs on it. Do you all still think my rings will seat ok. I diffently don't what a smoker though!!!! Thanks

Colorado700R

MORAPTOR700

Quote from: Colorado700R on December 16, 2009, 05:24:09 PM
yeah, you'll be ok tony

Thanks Colorado. I was hoping it would be ok as I didn't want to have to tear it down again. I've put quit a few small block chevy together and my quad cylinder looked like a freshly bore block. Anyway looking forward to riding with you again next year, maybe I'll be able keep up with ya!!!!  :thumbs:
Waiting on my exhaust clamps and springs before I fire it up as they forgot to put them in the box with the pipes and they put too long bolts in with the billet exhaust hangers.  :confused:

Colorado700R

you can plug them in and it'll be fine just to hear it run

MORAPTOR700

Quote from: Colorado700R on December 16, 2009, 05:45:32 PM
you can plug them in and it'll be fine just to hear it run

I'm so tempted to do that just to hear it. If the stuff don't come tomorrow it will probably get fired.  :nod:

Troy

When I break in a new motor on the dyno it's a few warm up pulls to get the motor up to temp and wide open under load from there, the only way to fly.  Same in the real world too, let it get warmed up and get er done.

Colorado700R

The Colorado700R method is more scientific.....

Fire up quad.......... rev the shit out of it.....tear ass up and down Troys street....Piss off the neighbors...drink beer, and repeat :lol:

09RappySE

Quote from: troywcc on December 16, 2009, 07:53:19 PM
When I break in a new motor on the dyno it's a few warm up pulls to get the motor up to temp and wide open under load from there, the only way to fly.  Same in the real world too, let it get warmed up and get er done.

+1 thats how I did mine.
734 09 Raptor
Meglodon by Bo,KW springs, Web 4 Cam, 54mm TB, 105.5mm CP cylinder, 12:1 CP,Barkers Inframe,Dynatek Coil,PC V,Dynatek Programable ignition,CCP stabilizer,+5 swinger,Boss Noss, Direct Drive Lock-up, KDS Evac valve,HID conversion,SPAL fan
Tuned by EHS Racing 74hp 52Tq

07 LT-R450
500cc Kit
Porting by Bo
DMC Pro Comp 4
Trinity intake
ATP intake Cam
Tuned by EHS 50hp 34Tq

nikita